Server Migration: "new server, who dis?"

Arcaire
Ten Seconds Flat - Zero to booru hero in under 24 hours.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - :^)
Always Codes Drunk - In the Zone

Systems / Ops Alumni
Update

BACK IN (MIDNIGHT) BLACK,  
IT’S IN THE RACK,  
IT’S BEEN TOO LONG IT’S GOOD TO BE BACK

Server migration complete. Regular scheduled pony may now commence. Greets out to the booru texmix.

There’s been murmurings for a while of a server migration for the booru, to support the ever-growing font of pone that blesses us daily. We’ve been putting off the migration for a bit with lame excuses like “I have work to do” and “I have a headache” but apparently we need to stop that now and actually migrate this thing. So, we’ll be moving from our current server (Celestia) to our new one (Luna). With it comes expanded processing power and a bigger disk with a bit more resiliency, and a better network to take advantage of.

You may see minor improvements to speed allowing you to argue about background colors and politics ever so slightly faster than usual.

For those interested in technical specs, here they are:

2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 8-core CPU
128GB DDR4 RAM
3x 480GB SSD in RAID-5
5TB SAN in RAID-10

The plan  
We’ve started migrating the images now - there’s nearly 3TB of them!

Starting some time on Thursday, December 22 (EST), the booru will go into a soft-lock, preventing any site interactivity. That’s no profile editing, or new users, posts, comments, or threads. This’ll be locked out until the migration completes. However, viewing the site (in all aspects) will remain as normal. Pretty much as soon as we lock interactivity we’ll begin migrating the site to the new server. The latest version of the app will be spun up, and then we’ll go about moving everything else over.

The clan  
byte[] and I will be handling the server migration. Please refrain from yayposting at us at regular capacity, as we’ll be pretty busy during this time.

The span  
Estimated maximum interactivity-locked time is 6 hours or so, but it could be half of that if we work together instead of arguing over custody of the server or which version of tmux to use or something. We’re leaving some buffer room for our DNS records to update to the new server, but given our configuration it should be instantaneous and transparent.

What will change?  
The site will get faster. Nothing else is changing. You won’t lose any content, you won’t lose your profile, you won’t need to sign up again. I’m actually not convinced you’ll even be logged out, honestly.
Moonatik
Artistic Detective - For exemplary work, above and beyond the call, helping to sort out artist tags and aliases.
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Da Magicks! - Merited Fine Arts badge with only their own art
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

living up to my name
Oh damn, pretty sure school ends for me around then. What am I supposed to do without endless pone?
Anonshy
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

Busy - May not Respond
Uh, now the box text at the top it’s a bit bigger and it doesn’t looks very well on phones…

Leaving random comment aside, how many changes in servers has been in the last 5 years?
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@TheAnonShy  
Off the top of my head…

Caconym -> Trixie  
Trixie -> Trixie + Tank  
Trixie + Tank -> Trixie + Tank + Spitfire  
Trixie + Tank + Spitfire -> Trixie + Spitfire + Cadance  
Trixie + Spitfire + Cadance -> Trixie + Cadance + Chrysalis  
Trixie + Cadance + Chrysalis -> Cadance + Chrysalis  
Cadance + Chrysalis -> Celestia  
Celestia -> Luna

This isn’t including the backup servers. Trixie was the first “real” server and she was a beast when we got her; other servers until Chrysalis were mostly supplementary to her for storage, bandwidth, and delayed tasks.
Arcaire
Ten Seconds Flat - Zero to booru hero in under 24 hours.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - :^)
Always Codes Drunk - In the Zone

Systems / Ops Alumni
@RainbowDash69  
It helps when I control the spices, honestly. I changed it because I do very limited actual mod work and mostly handle the running of the server and ensuring that code works properly.
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@TheAnonShy

Not to mention it’s called Derpibooru yet the site’s theme and logo are based on Trixie. (Yeah, I know Trixiebooru’s a thing, but that’s literally just an alternate domain name for the site and it’s literally the exact same site)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: LOCKING THIS BREAD WITH NO SURVIVORS