Rule #0 Policy Refinement Feedback Thread

Frosku
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

Vox Exercitus
@Princess Luna  
I’ve said it before, when you click on a new filter, show a diff between your current filter and that filter.

“This filter spoilers…”

“This filter hides…”

“Difference between this filter and your filter…”
Armagedonus
Duck - Thinks minorities should make their OWN ponds if they want to swim.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Like if switching to a filter that doesn’t include certain tags brought up a prompt saying there’s very bad things etc. and actually requiring you to click agree.

Good.  
Pushing responisbility for seeing “triggering” content from “admin” to “user” is always a good thing.  
Even this, however, may only serve to annoy people

Such thing would “annoy” only once, when user is changing filter to his preference.  
As such it is “acceptable annoyance”.  
it’s uncertain how it’d work in practice.

Maybe test it on willing control group?
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Princess Luna  
Just make it only do the popup once per account; having to agree every time would be obnoxious indeed, and if someone OKs popups without reading them, that’s really their own fault (and they really should antivirus-clean their PC).

Something like “The [filtername] filter you’re choosing will let you see images that can be deemed inflammatory or offensive. By proceeding, you agree to assume personal responsibility for seeing such content. This warning will be suppressed from then on if you proceed.” and reject filter-switch if the user cancels.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Background Pony #85AC  
It seems I missed this earlier. I am almost certain that we will delete the first image (pretty clear call to kill cops), and not the second (vague posturing with an acronym and molotov potion).
Background Pony #56B5
As in if you complain about triggering content and you will NOT filter it then you will be banned.

I mean, that sounds like there’s a proper context for certain kinds of speech and that some speech in some contexts should be bannable.

If complaining about content in this way is bannable (and I’ll concede that it should be), maybe complaining about actual real-life races/sexualities/identities of people in the comments and forum posts should be considered for a potential violation under rule 0 as well.
Frosku
Artist -

Vox Exercitus
@Background Pony #56B5  
It already is though:

Do not troll, attack, insult, name-call, or otherwise try to intentionally antagonize another person or group of people. This includes making racial, sexual, homophobic, or otherwise demeaning slurs, or posting similarly abusive content.
Background Pony #56B5
@Frosku

I’d argue someone could complain about certain ethnic demographics (as opposed to just specific members; i’m talking about broad-sweeping generalizations) without specifically using slurs or antagonizing specific users. There’s definitely a rules-lawyery way to be openly racist without breaking the exact wording of rule 0 .
Armagedonus
Duck - Thinks minorities should make their OWN ponds if they want to swim.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I mean, that sounds like there’s a proper context for certain kinds of speech and that some speech in some contexts should be bannable.

Not true.  
It is about doing things that you were WARNED not do to.  
If the site tells you to not complain about “nazi content” after truning “nazi filter” off and you STILL COMPLAIN, then you deserve a bitchslap from staff.  
maybe complaining about actual real-life races/sexualities/identities of people in the comments and forum posts should be considered for a potential violation under rule 0 as well.

What? Why?
Background Pony #02E0
And now you’re literally saying that just interacting with people who enjoy Aryanne art is encouraging Nazism, and this is exactly what’s happening on Twitter with the anti-censorship art pack — there are literally people on the left sharing the list of artists who contributed to the art pack and telling others not to support or commission them. These people, for the most part, are not Nazis or even political extremists, they’re just artists asserting their right to draw whatever they want — something that, twenty years ago, they would have had the full-throated support of the political left for doing.

You misunderstood me. By “the actual majority enabling them” I did not meant the majority of the fandom as a whole versus Aryanne fans, but rather the supposed non bigoted majority of Aryanne art fans versus those who are vocally bigoted. Also, regarding the art pack, I see how listing people who participate might look sketchy, though wouldn’t it be a public knowledge since they’re usually listed upfront in the art packs advertisements and you can learn it either way if you get it, but also isn’t boycotting and stopping supporting someone’s product financially is freedom of speech too?

Citation needed. I’m a right-libertarian Jew, I spend as much time arguing with Nazi totalitarians as I do arguing with leftist totalitarians, but it isn’t the Nazis who are here trying to prevent people from posting ponies they don’t like. If you want to talk about silence, where is the left-wing criticism of the millions killed by communism, of Islamic terrorists, of Antifa, of the killing of David Dorn?

I am bit worried about you priorities if you, if I understood you correctly, worry more about whenever a few pony fan characters can be posted over ideology which is hateful and quite murderous in its heart, and it’s not as if it is fully dormant and only exists on internet, gangs of neo-nazies beat and sadly sometimes kill people in europe and us, and sometimes there are especially big terrorist acts committed by far-right nationalists, for example Charleston church and Christchurch shootings. And a lot of people on the left are openly critical of ussr, anarchists for the example, and the numbers of people who support islamist terrorism is pretty laughable and are outcasts to everyone but themselves and well islamists, not to mention that all this and recent usa riots are already heavily criticized in these places, if my memories serve me right.

Also, I think you’re under impression that I am hard line in the question about deleting all Aryanne art, I am not. While I wouldn’t be against it, I think more proper enforcing of rule 0 and purge of blatantly hate-filled and demeaning pictures, as a message that such things do not belong here and in this community.

I didn’t respond to a lot of your paragraphs because I feel a lot of them venture far too off topic from the topic of the thread, plus I am sadly now too busy to write a lot of effortposts. But thank you for engaging in criticism with good faith.
CHurricane
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Devil's Advocate
Hello I would like to ask some questions. One of them is about certain thing that maybe is not tied directly to rule 0# but I think it is valuable to discuss in context of the proposed changes.

Also I am sorry but English is not my first language so I apologize for any mistakes and bad grammar

1. Self-censoring art and/or linking it to other sites.

What I mean by this is that there is a tendency for people from art sites across internet(I will provide derpibooru example) to censor their art according to site rules( for example by putting black bars on stuff) or posting only version of said art that are allowed with site rules and at the same time linking or mentioning where to find uncensored version of the art on other sites)

For example:

The picture above is fine(safe) according to rule #5 but in the description of that picture there is a link to other site with “naughty” version of the image that in my understanding would not be allowed to be posted on this site. If I recall correctly there were other such examples on this site in the past but this one is the only one I could remember where to find easily.

The main thing that I want to say in this point is that there probably should be clarification of allowing such practice (I am not for banning it) because although it is used for mostly good things and might be a good alternative/solution in future for more concerned artists to be able to still share with community some stuff that is/will be considered against the rules without posting directly prohibited content to the site it could also be exploited(in fringe extreme cases) to link to the most vile stuff on the internet.( of course the best thing to do in my opinion would be to consider it by case by case basis but I understand that there might not be enough manpower on staff to do that efficiently).

The method described above could be used to in theory “bypass”(there is place for discussion if its really bypassing) any rule by doing things like in folowing example(I would like to get some feedback on it if possible):  
    Lets say we have the following picture from the poling:

>>693704s (deleted)

This picture was found to be considered unacceptable by the staff (84%)(I personally think that it should not be removed because it’s clearly parody of “no fun allowed” picture). So lets say for the sake of argument that we “censor” the image by blocking out the sign with black bar or by removing text on the sign and leaving it blank(because I assume its mostly about that) then would that picture be allowed to be posted in opinion of the staff? And if the answer is “yes” then what about pointing people to the original image in one of the following ways:

1.2 By posting direct link to the art in the description.

1.3 By posting link to the artist profile on other site in the description and saying that other/uncensored version is out there(indirect linking to it).

1.4 By not posting any link in the description but saying that there is other/uncensored version on site “X“and the artist is using Nick “Y” on the site(describing how to access such art without linking).

In my personal opinion Self-censoring art and/or linking it to other sites should be allowed because it would definitely allow alternative for artists scared of censorship(or creating art that is on the border of what rules allow) to still share their art and at the same time none of the (controversial) art would be “on the site” and although it could be exploited I don’t think scale of such exploit would be big enough for the staff to net be able to handle.

The only point I think would warrant a debate is direct linking “1.2” but I think that indirect lining “1.3” and describing where to find alternative version“1.4” should be allowed because it would discriminate against the artists that use only one “other” site to post their art by not allowing to link to their profile.

2. The second thing I like to talk about is one of pool result.

The following picture was deemed to be “bad” by the result of the 3rd poll:

I am opposed to banning it because it is clearly a fetish(nazi latex bdsm) art similar to following picture from the other “side”:

Both of those pictures “fetishize” oppressive totalitarian regime responsible for death of millions of people and are using it’s symbolism(i think that Hammer and sickle are representing Communist countries like soviet union and not communism as ideology) . And although we could argue about the amount of swastikas in first pic I don’t think that those pictures and pictures of similar kind should be banned purely because of amount of symbols associated with” Evil things”(I think that was the reason) because ponies in them are not doing anything hateful and I would even argue that first picture is mocking Nazis for using their symbols everywhere.

3. The third thing I would like to discuss is about that coment:

@Princess Luna  
@Minus
So long as the context isn’t saying for the viewer to be racist, yes. You can portray stuff, and it’s when things are basically a mouthpiece where there’s an issue.

Lets say that some artist would like to “ponify” famous movie The Producers(1967) by Mel Brooks by recreating some scenes from the movie in form of image with dialoge from the movie in text form(not animation) and then one of the scenes would be during performace of Springtime For Hitler” concretely the point at 1:24 with pony actor saying the line about joining Nazi party being for example Twilight Sparkle This picture would be in theory a mouthpiece(using cannon character to promote an ideology) saying to viewer to become a Nazi(which we can agree would be saying to viewer to be racist) of course in context of movie it is clearly satirical but it might not be considered as so(mistaken for being sincere) in drawn form. So my question about it would be if that Picture would be allowed on the site?

3.1 To what extent “context matters” would only uploading picture of that scene(without others) be ok?

3.2How about paraphrasing the sentence(and whole sequence of scenes) in the movie(for example to make it a springtime for bin Laden) to say to join other hurtful organization (Al-Qaeda for example)?

3.3 If movie The Producers did not exist and all of the scenes were artist original idea(not a parody of existing thing) would taking their word that this scene is satirical be enough to protect from deletion?
Princess Luna
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Frosku  
For acronymization making namecalling no longer a concern? I’d think so. I’m not sure about acronyms and the other bulletpoints.

@CHurricane  
In general, it’s not a big issue to have a censored version here, and uncensored elsewhere, so long as the link doesn’t immediately take any random person to the uncensored version. Note that IB requires an account on the URL in that description.  
As for The Producers, I think the scene would be clearly not condoning things on its own, the way it’s done in the movie. However, if someone altered it a bit to be clearly saying to be racist, then there would be a problem.
vito

Undesirable
@Princess Luna  
I don’t want to spam your forum, so jumping in to clarify one thing that made me laugh so hard, since your little discord discussion turned into a panicking investigation: I did NOT share my DNP request when I filled it a few days ago, someone else did that - I don’t care who or why, but I was pretty ok with that.  
I guess you can go through the whole userbase and check these naughty, naughty people who are using the infamous “dark theme” to catch a culprit. Or, I don’t know - ask TheSmilingPony to share his scratchpad, as his hobby is writing down undesirable people.

Now, it’s time to sleep. Sweet dreams!
Frosku
Artist -

Vox Exercitus
@Background Pony #02E0  
I’m honestly not that worried about Nazis, maybe that’s an unpopular opinion but there really aren’t very many Nazis out there. I am hundreds of times more likely to be murdered by a radical Jihadist or a common gangster than I am to be murdered by a Nazi. Do I like Nazis? No, of course not. Any ideology based on racial supremacy is a shitty idea to begin with. I just don’t lay awake at night worrying about the vanishingly small number of actual, hate-filled Nazis in the world.

I definitely agree with you that there are some white supremacist types who hide behind Aryanne and use her as a mouthpiece for their shitty views, but I think the same people would do that with Rainbow Dash or Rarity if Aryanne was banned (and they already do). I just don’t think it’s particularly different from using ponies to mouthpiece ideas like murdering cops, supporting antifa (a terrorist organization) or other fringe & violent ideas.

Ultimately, because I don’t think cutting politics out of ponies altogether (all the way down to MAGA hats, Biden merch, LGBT+ flags etc), I just don’t want to start drawing lines there.
Background Pony #F329
@Princess Luna  
…If it’s an Acronym it’s suddenly okay?  
I cant politely express how i feel about that after you told me ACAB would fall under rule 0, but looking back at that post it’s now clear you meant the full statement.  
If i type WTF, most people read it as “What the fuck.” and not “Double-you Tee Eff.”  
/pol/ has GTKRWN for “Gas the kikes race war now.” for fucks sake.  
Acronyms are short hand, that’s their entire point.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Background Pony #F329  
Consider whether you’d think “WTF” is vulgar, vs. spelled out. Also, as I tried to make clear earlier, that probably only makes things okay by that one bulletpoint; the bulletpoint is a bit looser than the others (you can call fictional characters names).
Background Pony #9BF5
Yeah, I think I agree with the others. Acronyms should be taken at their most recognized meaning and judged as if they were written out as that statement. If you don’t hold them to that then racists will just create shorthands for their statements to fly under the radar.
CHurricane

Devil's Advocate
@Princess Luna  
Thank you for answering my question.  
So if i understand corectly we can link “dirrectly” to the Image that is not alowed on this site as long as as the “direct link” takes us to the other site which require us to have an account to use it?  
Also Linking indirectly by giving the link to the site(not concrete pice of art) even one that do not require an account to use and providing discription where to seek such art on that site is also ok?
Background Pony #56B5
@Frosku  
Ban the obvious ones then. At this point everybody knows what those are so they’re not exactly “cryptic” anymore.
Background Pony #F329
@Princess Luna  
So “All Cops Are Bastards” only counts as ‘namecalling’ and not ‘discriminatory’ so that it doesnt fall foul of that bulletpoint.  
That’s what I’m gathering here, please point out the fault of my reasoning.
SomeDerpibooruUser

Undesirable
@Princess Luna  
To clarify, what would that mean for phrases like ACAB? Those terms seem more like using fictional characters as mouthpieces to discuss real world people than directing the terms at fictional characters. There isn’t even exactly a thing as ‘cops’ in the show and many straight up have a tag ‘mouthpiece’.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Changes announced