Rule #0 Policy Refinement Feedback Thread

wren
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -

Apple Enthusiast
@Crade  
As admins have said before in these discussion threads recently, the tightening of Rule #0 isn’t the goal. The goal is a more consistent definition and enforcement of Rule #0.
Moonatik
Artistic Detective - For exemplary work, above and beyond the call, helping to sort out artist tags and aliases.
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Da Magicks! - Merited Fine Arts badge with only their own art
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

living up to my name
My point is that the impact a slur has is not inherent to the word itself, because the word itself is an arrangement of sounds made by your mouth. It is the societal context around the word or your own personal experience that make a word “bad”.

I’m not disputing this, I’m saying that the impact that the use of a phrase or word has on other people matters far more than intent, because the intent is only felt by one person and cannot be proven or disproven, while the impact it has on other people is far more noticeable and affects more people.

However, in terms of Derpibooru, stuff can be filtered, so ensuring people use their filters could prevent the offence altogether, and ultimately lessens this impact and could negate it altogether.
Background Pony #6E7E
@Seiken  
Locking comments is just a cowardly thing to do, its seen on youtube a lot and extremely criticized outside of it. I don’t feel like that would improve anything on derpibooru and would seem particularly stiffling or hostile when every other picture thats controversial is fine and just brings up the same thing of why its only applied to certain pictures, but not equally in other cases like say foalcon.

It’s been passed around a few times the last few weeks that you can infact add a filter to derpibooru’s comments but it’s not nearly as widely known. I think allowing people to block on the forums or comments would easily take care of the majority of complaints that they dont want to see. This is an old for bulletin boards im sure everyone’s familiar with, and the people on twitter would be all too happy to use it. if it was more directly part of phillomena instead of an extension you have to hunt down.
Filiecs
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@LemonDrop  
Ah right, I remember have seen a few of those videos. I didn’t know the comments were forced off.  
At least they keep them up, as IMO those social features aren’t a huge loss, but allowing for comments/criticism that the author of the video can’t remove would be a better policy IMO.
TheDrizzle404
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

Rainy Gryphon
@TheDrizzle404
For acting racist? You could literally do it by yelling at someone on the street.

I mean the art hosted here. How does a picture here translate into someone becoming a racist or rallying racists to affect the real world? I’d like to hear the mental process of such an event.
Background Pony #56B5
since there’s been (so far) undeleted talk of “racist organization” in comment sections, can someone provide an example for the forum for comparison? i think it’s important to properlt the full extent of the problem.

Sure!

“This picture depicting people the far-right considers “degenerates being lynched has such gems as:

Based and redpilled

I’d only agree with the three hanging from the tree. The others are okay, in certain situations.

And a bunch of deleted comments that were likely even worse.

Here, we have “Draco_2k playing “devil’s advocate for holocaust denial in the comments

It definitely happens. Most of it gets deleted but it happens.
Filiecs
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@wren  
Unfortunately, it really does appear to be tightening.  
Even if that was ‘the rule before’ it just wasn’t enforced, it’s still tightening.  
It would just mean that we never agreed with the rule’s definition, or at least the way the mod team perceived it, to begin with.
Background Pony #25FA
@TheDrizzle404  
And this brings us back to that point that I made a while back about people finding “humor” in extremely disturbing and violent things. It’s why “humor” is an impossible standard to use, because someone could find “humor” in things like that.
Filiecs
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Background Pony #56B5  
As was said for the first image, it was done as a reaction to the reaction to the original image. It’s far from ‘organized’ as there are still many people voicing their disgust at the image.  
It’s saying, ‘you thought that was racist? This is what a racist image would look like. (If it was the original image)’  
I would have been fine with many of those comments being removed under rule 0.

The second one is just dumb, and filled with people being dumb in the comments. Who cares that some idiot has never actually been to a holocaust museum but his claiming he has?
Background Pony #7538
@Background Pony #56B5

i’m not exactly seeing an organization. just comments laughing with absurdity or mocking the edginess. got any more that actually fits the description of organization?
Background Pony #6E7E
@Background Pony #56B5  
people whined about the original on twitter so it was pushed to absurdity. it even has starlight being tossed out of the helicopter thrown in background. you cant treat either the picture or the comments seriously.
Miss Shy
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

You're going to love me.
@TheDrizzle404  
I’m fairly certain it was entirely reactionary, too.

It probably would have never been made if this site and twitter didn’t raise such a fucking stink about it, causing people to go “You think that’s offensive? Watch how offensive I can make it!”

If people just ignored fictional art pieces they did not like, shit wouldn’t get worse.

Edit:  
@Filiecs  
Ayy
Background Pony #25FA
Yet, the mods have to try and enforce a rule that says:

“Do not troll, attack, insult, name-call, or otherwise try to intentionally antagonize another person or group of people. This includes making racial, sexual, homophobic, or otherwise demeaning slurs, or posting similarly abusive content.”

And TheDrizzle404 just said this above:

“Lol, that example was made because people kept calling the original image racist, so they pumped the edginess up to 11 to spite the people whining about it.”

So the image was intentionally created to troll and antagonize people who would be deeply offended by that type of extreme racism and violent imagery. It’s a textbook violation of the rule, and a perfect example of why the policies need to be fixed.
Mittsies
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Squirrel
@Background Pony #56B5  
Just seems like, yet again, someone’s edgy joke is misinterpreted as hate speech because you’re offended by it. Racist comments do not automatically equate to a full blown racist organization, so please provide real evidence and stop making massive leaps in logic. What you’re doing is actually counterproductive to finding the real racist organizations, because you’re just attacking the first thing you see instead of actually doing some research.
Mittsies
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Squirrel
the image was intentionally created to troll and antagonize

But that’s just your opinion. I think it’s art, personally. It’s also clearly meant to be funny because of Glimmer being thrown out of a Helicopter, and a Gryphon being depicted as a Jew which is super ridiculous in its own right. How can you possibly make real world connections to racism in an image like this? Again, this is why subjective offensiveness doesn’t work. Just filter if you don’t like it.
Background Pony #25FA
@Filiecs

Multiple people here supportive of that image have admitted that it was created purely to antagonize and troll a group of people. The rule explicitly forbids that. There’s not much that needs to be argued on this one. The fact that no action was taken is an indication that the rule wasn’t effective or there were policy issues causing it to not be enforced, and that’s what they are trying to fix now. Seems pretty simple to me.
Filiecs
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Background Pony #25FA  
Nobody here has at all agreed that it was made to troll people. Antagonize? Maybe.  
But that’s what art has done throughout history. Art has the power to be disruptive and antagonize people.  
Why do you think conservative Christians were so deadset about banning homosexual art they saw as ‘promoting degeneracy’? It was antagonizing them. It was making people think. That was a good thing.

The point of the edit is to be a commentary on the ridiculousness of moral outrage.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Changes announced