Report site bugs here

JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@byte[]
The autocompleter cache appears to be just a binary-searchable linear list of tags and implications. If you switched to a (compressed) trie, you could remove all the redundant prefixes (like “artist:”) and fit far more tags in the cache, and maybe leave some space for aliases while still staying below the size budget.
Or perhaps compressing the tags using LZSS with a custom dictionary that has been optimized for this special case?
(Seeing someone use binary blobs to efficiently store searchable data in 2021 warms my heart. So many people just use inefficient text encodings like JSON.)
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
I’ve noticed that now fancy tags don’t give out tag results including prefixed tags (for example, now, to search for a artist tag to put on you have to type “artist:” first to get any result) like it used to - is this intentional?
byte[]
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
@JP
The current encoding is optimized to avoid creating garbage on the JS heap, to prevent any lag. Switching to a compact trie representation might save space, and could be internally flipped into a binary-searchable ArrayBuffer on the client side. This would probably avoid the creation of much garbage, but then it would waste time in JS constructing the list, whereas the current compiled object is immediately ready to go as soon as it is downloaded. So, I’m not sure what’s optimal here.
@Mildgyth
Yes, this is intentional.
JP
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@byte[]
Damn, I keep forgetting how badly suited JavaScript and web browsers are for stuff like this.
Perhaps a secondary list could be created for aliases?
byte[]
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
@byte[]
@JP
So I tried building a trie in the most space-optimal way I could write in a few minutes.
List of 65k tags in newline-delimited format (so one byte separating them): 988251 bytes
List of 65k tags in a packed trie, with unshared suffixes skipped: 723142 bytes
It’s a win for compactness only. The trie can’t be searched without at least an initial very expensive traversal.
Background Pony #62CA
@byte[]
IMO it is critical. It helps with tag discovery: a user may still find a tag that’s worded differently than they think if what they’re typing matched an aliased version. It helps with tag meanings: if a less-specific term has been aliased into something more self-evident, they’ll see the clearer-named tag if typing the less-clear aliased version.
Background Pony #62CA
I’ve noticed that now fancy tags don’t give out tag results including prefixed tags (for example, now, to search for a artist tag to put on you have to type “artist:” first to get any result) like it used to - is this intentional?
@Mildgyth
Yes, this is intentional.
Wait, seriously? Why?
byte[]
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
Okay, I’m designing a v2 format that handles namespaced names and aliases the same way it was done previously.
Background Pony #62CA
@byte[]
Ah, I was just about to ask whether this system is also responsible for a change from offering tags that had more than 3 instances, but upon rereading your post I see that yes it was. Just ran into that now where I had to jump over to the tags page to see whether a tag for something existed, instead of having it pop up as I began to type. Big step down in usefulness, IMO.
By the way - maybe I’m just used to using slow connections and slow devices - but what was unsatisfactory previously, that merited the trade-offs to functionality?
JP
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
Despite the lack of aliases, the new local autocomplete system is really good to use. It’s instantaneous, no need to type three letters and wait for the server to respond. It just needs some further tweaking.
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
Also, just noticed that the autocomplete is also case-sensitive now, even though our tags don’t differentiate between upper and lower-case.
Background Pony #8E63
Is Twitter fetching broken for anyone else? I seem to have trouble fetching images now.
Mildgyth

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
Also, as reported multiple times by other users, the ‘VS’ button on >>2774515 is giving out a download page (in effect, working exactly like the ‘DS’ button) instead of a image page. This doesn’t seem to be happening anywhere else.
Bloatpones

I’m not sure if it’s only on my end, but the reverse image search doesn’t seem to be working as it should. After uploading something that ‘wasn’t found’ only to run across it later, I reverse searched for a few other images that I know have already been posted only for it to come up as not found.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide