Report site bugs here

Background Pony #EF22
@The Smiling Pony  
But I see other large gifs in this site and and they have much better quality. What program uploaders are using to achieve such a quality from a full HD gif?
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Background Pony #EF22  
I haven’t the faintest clue what programs people use for GIF making, sorry; I just know free ones like ezgif

And the quality for large GIFs will be better as there’s more space to add the dithering; the optimizers play fast and loose and don’t care for averaging out colour spaces per pixel, not for thumbnail and preview images at least.

GIFs have a very small colour limit for the entire file, 256 colours per frame (for now ignore that some frames are additive so use alpha tricks to display more than that…) 256 is not a lot, even for cartoons like MLP due to backgrounds and certain objects and effects. That means that a gradient that goes from light blue to slightly less light blue can’t be shown with the full x-thousand different colours it would have in a video or other image format like BMP or PNG, but is actually just two different blue colours represented as tiny dots in one space, the amount of one over the other leading to the impression that it’s a different colour from the two that make it up.

So, very simplified, imagine ‘◼’ is one shade of blue, and ‘◻’ is another shade of blue, we want a thin, short line that smoothly transitions from left to right from ◼ to ◻; a GIF would represent that as this, using a 3x3 grid for each colour:  
◼◼◼ ◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◼◻ ◻◻◻ ◻◻◻  
◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◼◻ ◼◻◼ ◻◼◻ ◻◻◻  
◼◼◼ ◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◼◻ ◻◻◻ ◻◻◻  

Now, if you simply scale the GIF down in dimensions to a third of the size, the above turns into something like this:  
◼ ◻ ◼  

To the eye, the seemingly smooth gradient that showed 5 different colours now only shows 2, and the way they’re alternating looks even worse.

Overall, this is just a limitation of the GIF format; resizing a GIF is extremely lossy as the format depends on dithering far more than any other image or video format. I’m terrible at explaining things; I recommend you look into “dithering” and “aliasing effect” if any of this seems interesting.
ZippySqrl
HARD WERK - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art and really hates Applejack
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Lady's Wink -
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

Tired Artist
Each frame of a gif CAN have its own colour table, but it’d quickly inflate the file size.  
I’ve generally used photoshop for the different compression settings, but there’s no ability to make it use the per-frame colour table.

I’ve been looking into the decoding/encoding of the gif data format recently, and good lord it’s such a mess that really shows its age, since the format was made back when tiny file sizes were important because of the bandwidth limitations, they have several pieces of data super squished down into bits rather than each byte. It had pretty effective use of space back then, not so much today though.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Background Pony #EF22  
Take into account how the cellphone glow in the Discord image accounts for a massive amount of colours, thus “stealing” from other colour groups and requiring a higher use of dithering overall. Similar for the Fluttershy example image from before; the background objects are all on a gradient. Plus the images have to account for anti-aliasing and motion artifacts from the converted videos introducing “fake” colours into the mix.
ZippySqrl
HARD WERK - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art and really hates Applejack
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Lady's Wink -
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

Tired Artist
One annoying thing is the way the Steve Wilhite designed the gif format to have index storage overlap byte boundaries, they could have easily given the format a single extra byte in the image descriptor, allowing for mild future-proofing of the GIF format and enabling 512, 1024 or even more colours per frame. but presumably because of the tech at the time they didn’t expect to need/have more colours.
Background Pony #62CA
Why are y’all paying attention to GIFs? APNG and WEBM spare no expense for quality with the former, and are suitable for screencaps at an order of magnitude smaller files, respectively…
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

@Background Pony #62CA  
GIFs Just Fscking Work. Doesn’t matter the browser or platform or signal strength or furlongs per attosecond or whatever, they just… work. Every other moving image format is a basket of ass on an old computer with a garbage connection.
Background Pony #B0A2
There are a few images that lead to a redirect loop due to a circular reference in the duplicates table.  
For example, image pages for 159017 and 162118 will redirect to each other, resulting in a redirection loop.

I’ve checked the image_duplicates table in the database dump, and sure enough, each image was pointing to the other image as its duplicate. Some images are even just pointing to itself, for example 181005. I’ve found around 60 such circular references in the latest database dump.

Not a huge problem I guess, but this effectively makes every image in the loop inaccessible so this probably needs to be fixed.
HDPlayer
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

hmm, i’m having some weird issue where no images/videos are loading at all.  
everything else on the site works and looks perfectly fine.  
deleting cookies didn’t work, and Chrome’s Dev Tools just show every image being “pending” with no size or any download progress.  
this just started randomly like a 20 min ago or something, before that the site was working fine.
Sunny2730

Ok I seem to have a issue with faved pictures not getting added to my faved list on my account  
I haven’t found anything related to it so I hoped there could be some help here
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Sunny2730 & @Sunny2730  
There are 6 of your faved images that are blocked by your filter, so if it’s just a few missing please try the everything filter instead.

But if you mean that when you click “Fave!” icon the star doesn’t become highlighted to show that it’s liked, try reloading the page and clicking Fave again.

On my iPad I see that sometimes clicking “Fave” doesn’t work if I’ve got too many tabs open, but reloading the page fixes it.

I hope that helps, if not please describe what happens in more detail. For example, when you look at the image is the Fave! icon lit even though it doesn’t show in your favorites? Or is something else happening? And please include an example of an image you’ve tried to fav that failed so I can look to see if there’s any clues.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Sunny2730  
@Ciaran  
edit Nevermind, the fave was probably always there, it’s just that as an upload from nine years ago it appeared last in my favorites rather than first like I expected. Apparently Recent Favorites are in chronological order of upload rather than of faving. Sorry!

But maybe that was the issue for Sunny2730.
Iyashi

A Song and a butterfly
Minor thing, there’s a typo in the do not post list.  
“This is a list of artists who have asked us to place a restriction on the uploading of their artwork. These restructions can include anything from requesting that no edits of their work be allowed,”  
Just a minor thing, but I thought I’d mention it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide