Report site bugs here

Blossomforth
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Flexible - Bendy Pony

The Flexible One
Given the following:

[spoiler]>>1050180p[/spoiler]

If the image being referenced contains a tag you have spoilered/filtered, the result is that the spoiler image is visible through the overlay, and the text is slightly visible:

full
Ren
Sunset Shimmer - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
A Perfectly Normal Pony - I hate white people, including myself.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Artist -

is he alive?
EDIT: Addressed.

There doesn’t seem to be any other word of this on the thread; if the issue has already been addressed and I’m just blind, please let me know.

There is a bug I’ve encountered a few times recently with which images related to a tag you have hidden can still be seen as though spoiler’d. It usually seems to occur when an image you uploaded, and sometimes one you’ve commented on, is later given a tag that you have hidden. I first found this out when adding the “image macro” tag to an image I posted; I had never viewed image macro (which is hidden by default) prior to this, and after posting the image, when I viewed my uploads it appeared with the spoiler for image macro. Upon opening the page, it even gave me the “spoilered by your current filter” message; except it said “hidden by your current filter,” instead.

This has since happened with a couple of images I did not upload myself, with other tags I had hidden. One example: I had already commented on this image, having found it during normal browsing. After I had already viewed it, someone added the “rape” tag, (which has since been removed, and) which was also hidden by default as I’d never previously attempted to view anything with this tag. Though I still had this tag completely hidden at first after it was applied to the image in question, upon navigating back to this image through my notifications it pulled up the page in the same way it would if the tag were under spoiler, except the message read “hidden by your current filter.”

Is this an intentional fallback mechanism in attempt to maintain the integrity of one’s filters? If so, I think the task would be better completed with a message explaining that the image can no longer be viewed under the current filter, and which tag is causing this. If not, this is a bug that some users might prefer to be addressed.
liamwhite1
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%byte[]> I keep logs up my ass

@Ren  
There are very few pages (but they do exist!) where the server-side filtering system does not work completely, or not at all.

Filtering is handled completely by our search engine, and if we bypass the search engine and load things directly from the database, there is no way to prevent it from appearing in listings. One example is the notifications page, which you mentioned.

In this case, even though the image is supposed to be hidden, the scripts running on the page run the spoiler code to prevent you from seeing the image, but don’t remove it from the listing.
Ren
Sunset Shimmer - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
A Perfectly Normal Pony - I hate white people, including myself.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Artist -

is he alive?
@liamwhite1  
Ah, I see. Well, I trust you guys would’ve figured out a work-around if you feasibly could’ve. Thank you for explaining this! ^_^
iloveportalz0r
Non-Fungible Trixie -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Personal Title
First part: initial view

Second part: after clicking ‘@Princess Celestia’. Note the lack of a space after each period.

Third part: after clicking ‘@Princess Celestia’ again. The space between comments has increased.

full
heftig
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

My gut says this is CloudFlare’s problem, but apparently they only provide support to customers (you), so if this is indeed a CDN problem you may have to escalate to their support.

My HTTP connections to derpicdn frequently drop, usually when long responses are involved. If SPDY/HTTP2 is enabled, the problem is exacerbated because, AFAICT, the entire session and all in-flight requests are aborted. This manifests as missing thumbs or partially loaded images.

Is the server or the CDN configured to abort slow transfers? Unfortunately, I only have 768kbps, and loading a full-size image or two while browsing thumbs can result in a lot of parallel requests. AFAICT, the browser parallelizes the requests for all thumbs of a result page.

Disabling SPDY improves things quite a bit. Perhaps because parallelism is reduced, so requests are completed more quickly. Perhaps because only one request is lost if the server aborts a connection, because requests do not share connections.

I’m also puzzled by some images starting to load uninterlaced, getting interrupted, and upon attempt to continue loading them (right click -> view image) getting a “corrupted content” error. On reload, they load as interlaced images.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0

Out of curiosity, how does the H2 setup work, anyway? Does the CDN handle it all and your server only sees a bunch of (persistent) HTTP 1.1 connections?
liamwhite1
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%byte[]> I keep logs up my ass

@heftig  
Clover will have to respond on the first part; anything I could contribute would be merely speculation because I don’t know.

I’m also puzzled by some images starting to load uninterlaced, getting interrupted, and upon attempt to continue loading them (right click → view image) getting a “corrupted content” error. On reload, they load as interlaced images.
We don’t serve any interlaced images. This is CloudFlare (unlikely) or your user agent’s (likely) doing.

Out of curiosity, how does the H2 setup work, anyway? Does the CDN handle it all and your server only sees a bunch of (persistent) HTTP 1.1 connections?
Clover the Clever
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <@CloverTheClever> I'd pay to see Carcer in a fursuit
Always Codes Drunk - It explains a lot
From the Night - I have technically banned myself a bunch of times...
Since the Beginning  - User number zero

Lord and Saviour
There shouldn’t be any issue with long-running connections - our connection timeouts are quite conservative, as are our next-byte timeouts. So long as you transfer some data every 10 seconds, nothing bad will happen, and your connection would have to be properly fucked for that to be the case. You can keep a request going for quite a long time (an example of this is uploads, which can take minutes thanks to the fact most people have asymmetrical internet with crap upload speeds well below 1Mbps).

As for how your client handles dropped/failing h2c requests, that’s up to your client - I’m not sure it’s defined in an RFC.
heftig
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@Clover the Clever  
I guess this is the problem, then: Firefox defaults to allowing 100 concurrent requests over SPDY/H2. If even one of these requests is not handled by the CDN cache, creates a real connection to your server and CF cannot multiplex all the responses finely and fairly enough, it could time out.

I’ve also seen head-of-line blocking when SPDY/H2 is enabled (one big image loading prevents thumbs from doing so), so poor multiplexing triggered by my poor download speed seems likely to me. HOL blocking has been getting better, lately, though.

@liamwhite1  
My user agent? Huh? The only proxy between you and me is the CF CDN. I believe the first load didn’t hit their cache and loaded the uninterlaced image from your server. Afterwards, resuming issues a Range request, but this now hits a re-encoded image in the CDN cache, and the different data causes image decoding to fail.

Those uninterlaced transfers are also ones prone to getting interrupted, so if they’re the ones creating real connections to your server then your timeouts seem to be the problem, indeed.

Could you please forward these problems to CF? At the very least they’ll tell you it’s not their problem.
Clover the Clever
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <@CloverTheClever> I'd pay to see Carcer in a fursuit
Always Codes Drunk - It explains a lot
From the Night - I have technically banned myself a bunch of times...
Since the Beginning  - User number zero

Lord and Saviour
@heftig  
If you could dump some HARs showing this, and run a few speedtest.net tests, and save one or two of these corrupt files, and forward the results to clovertheclever at derpibooru.org via email that’d be very helpful. We do proactively take up issues with CF support where we can determine it’s a fault in their side.
Blossomforth
Flexible - Bendy Pony

The Flexible One
The “theme-color” meta tag has the same hex code set regardless of if you’re on the light theme or the dark theme, so when viewing the site on a mobile device with the dark theme selected, you get a light blue browser bar instead.
Blossomforth
Flexible - Bendy Pony

The Flexible One
@liamwhite1

The only thing I could think of is either grey, or a darker shade of blue (since the navigation menu on both themes is blue)

It seems that 618FC3 is about the middle point between the color of the nav bar on the light and dark themes, not sure how that would look though
Blossomforth
Flexible - Bendy Pony

The Flexible One
@TexasUberAlles  
That’s not bad. What I did was just take the color of the navigation menu from both the light and dark theme (they’re different, but not too dissimilar), created a gradient between the two, and picked the color from the middle of the gradient, which is essentially the “average” of the two colors.

If you look closely, you can tell it’s different, but it looks similar enough that I don’t think too many people would notice.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide