Pls elaborate Tag Guidelines (categories, aliases, implies)

Poll results: Vote for new Tag Help sections

kindly explain tag categories
34.78% 8 votes
I'm fine with what I see right now, thanks
26.09% 6 votes
explain tag aliases, in Celestia's name
17.39% 4 votes
explain implied tags, in Luna's name
13.04% 3 votes
please define "tag"
8.70% 2 votes

Poll ended with 23 votes.

Blackie Wiremane
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Kody's dark side
upd: Should’ve named the “I’m fine with” poll option “No new sections in the Tag Help needed, thanks”. Would be clearer.

upd2: Concerned about insufficient Tag Help too? CALL YOUR FRIENDS into this thread!

Imho,

Tag Help should be added with extra sections, which include tag categories, aliases, and implications.

I’ve been around Derpibooru for a good while, and some other boorus, so I’ve been learning tags a lot by observing. But I believe that that knowledge should be written in Tag Help, so every new user can learn tools available to them from the very beginning.

Before I go on, I’m stating that I’m going to suggest things to write, but no the exact form of writing, as I’m not a native speaker.

Not sure if a definition of “tag” should be added, like
Tag is a text label that can be attached to (or removed from) an image, and describes a certain aspect of that image. You can search for images that are or are not tagged with a certain tag, and thus to find exactly (ideally) images you want to see, excluding images with content you prefer to leave unseen.

I believe a brief description of tag categories is necessary, as tags are grouped by categories, but categories are not separated, and not labeled (partially compensated by category tag prefixes, like “artist:”). I’m glad their color codes are listed on GitHub, but I believe not all users will go that far to learn them.  
Tag Categories
Generic: Tags not belonging to one of the below categories look like this.
Content Rating: These tags provide the most general classification of images by degree of depicted sexual themes, pain/violence, and other things someone may see unwanted or disgusting (see below for a detailed explanation of rating tags).
Spoiler: For images that reveal important plot details of some fiction (movie, episode, comic issue), which is considered worth a warning because of “spoiled joy” when a surprising plot twist becomes non-surprising.
Origin: Mostly tags specifying image authors/editors, and the fact that an image has been altered/edited.
OC: For images on which an original character(s) is present: a character in a major franchise created by a fan of something, and self inserted into that franchise, usually via art and fanfics.
(the explanation borrowed at Urban Dictionary ^^)
Error: For images that lack expected meta info: its artist, source URL, and so on.
Character: For tagging canonical characters depicted in an image.
Official Content: For referring to a movie, episode, or comic issue, a scene from which served as a basis for an image.
Fanmade Content: Similar to the above, but for referring to content crated by fans (mostly fanfics).
Species: For tagging species depicted on an image (pony, human, changeling, etc).
I have an idea of writing most widely used tag patterns in each category, but it can wait for later.

Another two things that confused me a little, are tag aliases and, especially, implied tags. While Derpi’s aliases are quite intuitively comprehensible, and it’s mostly technical details what may require explanation, implied tags on Derpi mean something not exactly obvious. I propose to describe both things, anyway.  
Tag Aliases
Sometimes, more then one tag can describe the same thing. They may be synonyms, contracted forms, different word order, common misspellings, and so on. When such a situation arises, a good solution is to merge the tags. One tag becomes canonical; the rest, when occurs in a search query, or is added to an image, is automatically replaced with the canonical tag. Thus, people can use contractions to speed up their image search, or still get results while searching for a mistyped tag or a rare spelling.
Implied Tags
When tagging an image, it often happens that adding a certain tag necessitates adding one or more other tags that describes some characteristic aspects of the first tag (like, when adding the “humanized” tag, you want the image to get “human” as well). To automate it, a tag can be assigned with “implied tags”, which will be added automatically once a user tags an image with the master tag.

May be added with info about recursion when resolving aliased or implied tags, and who (users through admins) and how (tagging request threads) can modify tags’ aliases and implications. Also, such a note may be added to the OC tag category description (the OC-tagging thread).

Also, I’d propose to rename the “Implies” field into “Suggests”, but I care less about it (as breaking the traditions) and more about explaining what exists at the present moment.

This is an outline of my idea of improving Tag Help, I think lesser details can be discussed later, when and if the proposal gets approved.
JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
I think the tag help page should explain the numbers after the tags AND how the tag autocomplete works.

I don’t have exact numbers, but there is a massive amount of users here who have no idea what those numbers mean. Consider this example with made-up tags: a user is uploading an image and they want to add the tag “something” to it. At some point, someone typo’d it as “somethng” and now “somethng” exists in the tag database. When the user now types “someth” in the tag box, they’ll see this:

something (91058943783460)  
somethng (2)

And trust me, they will consistently and stubbornly pick “somethng” because they themselves can’t spell, they don’t understand the numbers and they don’t know what the autocomplete is or how it works.

Something in me believes that if the help page explained this, people would use less typo’d tags. Because they’d see those numbers and realize that “somethng” possibly cannot be the tag they want.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
If we were to add a lot of this, we would probably need to split the general help stuff from the ratings portion. It’s already too much information.
Blackie Wiremane
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Kody's dark side
It’s already too much information.
Art thou speaking for the entire community?) How about a site-wide poll “What do you think of Tag Help? 1. What is Tag Help? 2. Tag Help is too fat. 3. We need more Tag Help!”

Well, if you’re concerned ppl won’t read about ratings, you can simply put most of suggested material after that section, and partially assimilate the rest. It’s one of available options.

When it comes to Tag Help, the question should not be “Is it too much?” in the first place, but “Is it enough?”  
Disagree?
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@Blackie Wiremane  
Ok, maybe I’ve been dealing with you so much that I’m detecting snark where it doesn’t exist, but … while rebels are always welcome and can make a difference and inspire changes, it is not a bad idea to take some guidance from, or at least recognize and learn from the experience of, people who have volunteered years of their lives putting together this site’s systems as they are today.

Two of the top tagging and rating volunteers - people who specialize in this kind of stuff on the site, and a third who has been awarded for their extraordinary contributions to tagging on the site - have replied to you in this thread, and your response does not appear to be taking into consideration anything they have said.

A lot of your suggestions have been tried over years. A lot of them have failed for one reason or another. Some result in horrible damage that we’re still trying to repair or grow beyond.

And as you should have learned through your many attempts to create community consensus for the any changes you have requested in your very short time here, it’s not as simple as your MANY posts appear to suggest.

This is a very very very large community with users from all over the planet with a wide variety of approaches. Some of which are diametrically opposed to others.

So - just a suggestion - Maybe listen to some of the tagging and ratings experts the site has, people who have been patiently attempting to answer your questions.

If that wasn’t meant as snark, my apologies. If it was, please try to approach this site and its community with the same patience it has been trying to show you.
Princess Luna
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Blackie Wiremane  
The community from what I’ve seen can’t handle more than a few paragraphs of text at once. A general explanation of tag mechanics really shouldn’t be right up next to the definitions for ratings.
Blackie Wiremane
Artist -

Kody's dark side
@Derpy Whooves  
Oh, is it too much me?^^’ As I’ve said, since I left the neutral orbit, my “Derpibooru entry angle” is fairly close to critical, so I have to throw a safety joke here and there, or I’ll explode. I’m sorry if it appears edgy.

Prior to you, three persons have replied. A 8-years old member and a site mod commented on another extension to Tag Help (tag counters), orthogonal to mine. Then, a site mod, a site dev, a Tag Tzar and literally a princess here, all in one pony — says it would require splitting info (into pages, I assume). Looking at that cute face, I simply couldn’t but rememeber Luna’s love of the old language. If you didn’t like the poll I’d suggested there… Well, it’s just a rephrase of “an average user can’t get through more than a couple paragraphs” that many admins say (including the Princess above), and tell me that’s not a sarcasm. If you think I laugh of Derpi’s citizens of any rank — please kindly don’t, as I do not.

You are the first here to tell that what I suggest here have already been tried and caused more troubles than helped. So technically you can’t blame me yet)

Speaking of my many posts, and community consensus… Tell me what is your technique of collecting opinions of the majority of the community? (Whether they support something, oppose, or don’t care) For an outside observer (ok, that’s me) it looks like you don’t have community consensus coz nopony reads forum (why would they, actually). But I may go blind coz I don’t know the history of your decisions that turned wrong.

As I have said, me posting these threads is all about listening, being patient, and attention to expert opinion. I’ve already learned what we’re discussing, I just want thousands of other users looking for extra information, could get it from one place, and not asking staff thousands times.

@Princess Luna  
I don’t command you what to place where (that would be ridiculous of me, haha). I just suggest info to add. If you think the page will grow huge — make another page. Idk, “Tag Help for Nerds” :D If you think Derpi’s grown beyond that — decline; you know Derpi’s history in details, I don’t. Would be nice to hear about things I should never suggest coz those have already been tried and failed. Is there a page about it?:)

With all my respect, if not explicit,  
Kody

P. S. Don’t forget a correction for the language barrier, wrong translation of emotional nuances possible. I trade precision for speed, in a sense: I’d like the discussion be contained within a reasonable time range.
Perelka
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Artist -

growing flowers
Hia! I was searching for names of categories today and was really surprised that the only places you can find them are github, APIdocs and some threads. I think it would be helpful to at least list names for categories, as you can’t really think them up. Maybe in some handy place like here https://derpibooru.org/tags in Allowed fields section, just like they are listed in APIdocs. Searching in Api and Github for tags’ search terms isn’t really intuitive ’^^
Blackie Wiremane
Artist -

Kody's dark side
@Princess Luna  
@Derpy Whooves  
Your Highness. Ms. Whooves. It’s been a while.  
We’ve got another 12 curious individuals, which makes about 0.0714 per day. )  
For their sake and mine, I’ve compiled the information I gathered into a little thing to which you can refer or not refer from the Tag Help. I dared to post it on Derpi).  

@alamakota  
Some “decompiled” info about tags, in the description of the above image. If you’re around and interested.)
Perelka
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Artist -

growing flowers
Hello!
I’d like to bump this thread, because I still find myself searching tags by the category sometimes, completely forgetting category names. As I mentioned @Perelka it would be great to have them listed in Allowed fields in tag search page or at least have it link to api page.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide