Philomena open beta / breaking API changes

Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Jarkes  
That’s incomprehensible to any software developer.

@Wellwater  
Clunkier, yes, less expressive, no. It’s basically nerd option, just like command line vs GUI (which it effectively is): extremely more powerful if you know how to use it, but trash for the averaged person who just want predetermined fields to put what they want into and get results.
Wellwater
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Just a flurry of H₂O
@Barhandar  
It’s less expressive because it is (as far as I can tell) no longer possible to search for threads (only posts) and it’s no longer possible to specify a forum to search in.

For that matter, while the documentation below the search results says you can use author to search by post author, it doesn’t actually work. So there isn’t even any way to search for posts by a given user.

(That’s a bug, of course, not a design flaw, but still.)
Rene_Z
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

The new API no longer returns the mp4 representation for images uploaded as WEBM.

Example: Old API, New API

For images uploaded as GIF, the new API still returns both the webm and mp4 representation as before (Example).

Is this intended behaviour? WEBM still isn’t as widely supported as MP4, so I’m relying on the MP4 representation (in my case sending the image to Telegram, which supports sending MP4 videos but not sending WEBM videos). Of course I could just change the file extension in the URL, but that would be quite hacky and I’d have to check if the MP4 actually exists each time.

EDIT 2: I noticed a second issue. The API now always returns the mp4 and webm fields for GIFs, even if the video versions don’t actually exist on the server (for old uploads where no video version was generated). The URLs just return 404. This was not the case before, it would just not include the video representations in the response. However, it seems that even the old API now returns those non-existant representations.

Example: Old API, New API

EDIT: And a minor issue with the API documentation, the format field of an image response can also return jpeg (instead of jpg), depending on the original file extension of the image. The behaviour is the same as with the old API, it’s just missing from the documentation.
Angius

The Ponut Eater
The new API no longer returns the mp4 representation for images uploaded as WEBM.

While we’re at it, what about .gif representations? Will this hack still work?

Also, another question. The old API returns tags with their respective namespaces, the new API returns just tags and more tag data has to be fetched per-tag. That makes it so that an image with, say, 50 tags will now take 51 requests should I want every tag to have a namespace and/or color.

Should I just fetch those as they come, and simply cache for reuse, or is there some other method for handling it?
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Word Bug
@Angius  
Tags don’t change too much, and classifications on them change even less often. I’d suggest caching them personally. Maybe do a daily refresh of tag data to keep coherent.
catlion3
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

spanish:

pero porque a cada rato exigen los tags, algunas veces no se que poner, pero pongo los mas importantes que son nombre del personaje, si es oc o no, si se ve algo o no (ya saben a que me refiero) deberían no ser tan especifico en ese aspecto
Angius

The Ponut Eater
@Angius

Okay, so, tested it, and for those who wonder – replacing .webm with .gif in image.representations.thumb does, in fact, allow you to use a GIF.
Rene_Z
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Also, another question. The old API returns tags with their respective namespaces, the new API returns just tags and more tag data has to be fetched per-tag.

I don’t think anything has changed in that regard. For example >>2282548, compare old API and new API. Both have the tags including namespaces, e.g. artist:batonya12561, oc:mark wells and fanfic:off the mark. More information about tags, like description, category, etc. were never included in responses for images.
Boxless

stop using Derpi lmao
@Joey  
That’s three more marks of random signout, two in the last three hours and the third about a day ago. Unless someone is deliberately fucking with me which i’m not ruling out just on the basis of ‘humans gonna human’ it’s starting to become a problem.
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Word Bug
@Boxless  
The session manager’s (called Pow) devs are working on it, and have a fix they are testing to ensure it doesn’t break the everything. I believe Byte[] is waiting for them to be done with testing before applying it to Philomena/Derpibooru.
Boxless

stop using Derpi lmao
@Damaged  
I’m doing what i said i’d do, and given my significant dislike of reading Git after something broke on some of my own changes to make the site more readable for me, haven’t bothered to really look after the Changelog started pointing there.

Nice update, but still doesn’t resolve the issue until they push the fix.
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Word Bug
@Boxless  
None is intended. Nothing is worse than thinking everything is working perfectly, when in actuality all your users are stewing about problems and not reporting them.
T12

When trying to go to a random image from any search containing my:watched as one of the search terms, I always get the same image. When I try to go to another random image from that image I still get that same image. If I set up the search to exclude the normal image, a different one is chosen but it only ever picks that one instead.

This does not happen in other searches which do not involve my:watched.
Wellwater
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Just a flurry of H₂O
@T12  
Now I wonder if the problem is just that your phone browser is aggressively caching /images/random (one copy for each query string) without recognizing that it’s a redirect that can’t usefully be cached. What browser is it?
T12

@Wellwater  
I just did some experimenting. I first noticed on Android Chrome, but I was able to reproduce the same result on Chrome for Windows on my laptop as well as Edge (blech). The same results were even obtained after clearing my cached data.

I noticed it was locking onto images which I had faved, so I tried filtering them out, with the result that it would now choose one of two images when random image was pressed. They were not picked in equal proportions (about 2 or 3 times more often for one than the other).

@byte[]

I admit I have a fairly complex list involving several terms which have * on each end to force it to match tags which contain specific words, as well as forcibly adding all of my faved images to the list. I just tried constructing a search which would be equivalent, and obtained the same result, but a different search with just a single term of that type works fine.

Edit: Further experimentation seems to reveal a similar behaviour to a lesser extent on any search with an OR. The random image produced does change, but always seems to be one with as many of the search terms as possible. Try searching fluttershy || rainbow dash, and see if random image ever produces one which doesn’t contain both, because I haven’t seen any.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide