Open Discussion about "machine learning generated" Pictures on Derpibooru

Princess_Fluttershy
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Princess of Kindness
To the Mods: I hope you keep this Topic here and not merge it with another Thread, where no one will ever see it again.
I’m not sure if this was already used in any Topic, but in a short Search I have just found Posts in General Discussion.
Question here is, are AI Images, who actual flood the Page ok with the Rules?
Of course, it is a good way to play and generate new Picures.
But there are still many Problems with that.
First the Images are often very bad, like 2960461 or 2965316.
So it should have at last a minimum of Quality to stay here.
Then there are Problems with the Rules.
AI generated Images are in the Critique by Artists, because many AI Pictures are made by using Artworks of Artist, without their Approval.
This mean, AI Images are often similar to a Edit of an Artwork, where the Creators have no Permission to use them.
But not the Users add them, it is the Creator or Group behind the AI System, who use every Artwork of every Artist they want to train their AI.
Many Artists not like it that their Art is stolen to train AI, similar to the Stolen Art for NFT Creations.
I not know how an AI works, but if I want to do one, I would maybe ty to connect it with Derpibooru and the Tag System.
If someone use “Twilight eat a Burger” as Promt, it would search all Pictures with Twilight and use them to generate the Figure, maybe use some Pictures it found and simply deform it.
After all it would colide with Rule #1.1 when an AI Picture is made from existing Art.
After Rule 3 some of the Images, like 2921685, 2907643 or 2920218 are not fit “Do not upload images without a clear relation to MLP” (with a big point on “clear relation”) would not be allowed here, because they have no real MLP Content (Colors don’t count).
I’m not general against AI generated Art, after all I have upload 4 Pictures as well (just the 4 best of my Trys, not all) and I still think 2945835 look the best so far, even it not realy look like a “Future Canterlot”, more like A Castle of Luna, Nightmare moon or Home of the Bat Ponys.
There are many AI Art who look good, but I think there should be some Rules for Quality & Content and against Art Theft and unreleated Pictures or the Website will be flooded with such Pictures in the Future.
To much AI Art will maybe cause the Problem that some Artists stopp making Art.
Maybe to prevent AI Bots to use their Art or because the AI would reduce their Income as Artist (for some Artists, their Art is the only Income).
What you think about this?
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Art Theft
Art theft is not permitted here. Report any instances as Rule #1, remembering to please also provide a link to the art you believe the AI image is derivative of, as well as the artist if that is not clear from the tags, in the provided text field.
If you think any images here are not apropos the fandom or My Little Pony, report them for Rule #3.
See also Regarding AI-generated Imagery in Site & Policy.
PS:
I hope you keep this Topic here
In what way do you believe this is a Tagging issue? Why didn’t you create this in Site & Policy? Why shouldn’t we move it there, since this seems to be about what we allow on the site, and our rules about it?
Background Pony #EEED
I’m not sure if this was already used in any Topic, but in a short Search I have just found Posts in General Discussion.
There are already threads: here, in the tagging forum to talk about how to tag them, in the Site and Policy forum to talk about site rules and how they relate, and in the Art Chat forum with artist’s concerns.
To the Mods: I hope you keep this Topic here and not merge it with another Thread, where no one will ever see it again.
But, you’ve made this thread in the wrong forum. This forum is to talk about tagging.

Question here is, are AI Images, who actual flood the Page ok with the Rules?
It was already explained in the thread in the Site and Policy forum: AI images are OK as long as they are properly tagged, because AI images are hidden by the default filter. Flooding the site is not permitted as a violation of Rule #6, anti-spamming.
So it should have at last a minimum of Quality to stay here.
Derpibooru does not prohibit pictures based on skill or quality.
I not know how an AI works
Well, that explains why you say things like:
maybe use some Pictures it found and simply deform it.
…which is not how AI works. Usually, it starts with randomness and then uses millions of influences to synthesize a new image. But, it is possible for people to train it to closely copy things, which should be discouraged just like if an artist traces a picture. Blame the people, not the pencil. Like Ciaran said, when you see a picture copying another picture, report it for violation of Rule #1.
After Rule 3 some of the Images, like 2921685, 2907643 or 2920218 are not fit “Do not upload images without a clear relation to MLP” (with a big point on “clear relation”) would not be allowed here, because they have no real MLP Content (Colors don’t count).
Colors do count. Also, sheep exist in MLP:FiM.
There are many AI Art who look good, but I think there should be some Rules for Quality & Content and against Art Theft and unreleated Pictures or the Website will be flooded with such Pictures in the Future.
There are already rules for these: Rule #6 prohibits excessive flooding as spam, Rule #3 governs related content, Rule #2 applies if AI art is not tagged, because the site’s default filter hides them, and Rule #1 is for copying someone else’s art.
Princess_Fluttershy
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Princess of Kindness
@Ciaran
You can’t tell if something is Art theft, but if someone use Art of other for own AI Art then it is like you write a Book and add Parts from another Book in it without asking the original Creator.
Theres actual the Discussion if Creating Art with an AI is Art Theft.
If I understand this here right, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and European Patent Office (EPO) say an Art is not illegal if it was not created by a legal entity, AI cannot take responsibility of the work created.
But the Art is created by a Human, who has start the Art with an Promt Command.
If you tell an AI who is connected to a Press to create Fake Money, the money is still Fake and you can’t say I not have made it it was the AI to made it legal.
An Artist, who has made an awarded Picture has told about his Concerns about the Problems this Produce in the New York Times, he call it “essentially a high-tech form of plagiarism”.
As he Postet his Sucess at Twitter no one was Happy about it: https://twitter.com/GenelJumalon/status/1564651635602853889
@Ciaran
It’s not the Tagging and yes I know I have place it w rong but I could not move it myself.
I know that AI use a Flood of Pictures to learn how a Head or a Foot looks like.
With “I not know how it work” I meant the Tech behind it.
Deformed Art is like 2885725 or 2960476, where you take an Image or Artwork and then tell the AI to made a new Picture from it (in this 2 they are RL Photos).
Question is, if you take a Picture from someone on the DNP-List, like artist:fenixdust and made an AI Picture of lets say this and change the Pony into Twilight, like tha Artist has made it, would this still be DNP or ok?
I’m sure some of the AI Pictures here, if you search long enough you find the Original or something similar looking.
Thats what Artists not like, that People use their Works and use it without Persmission.
I have no idea how this will handled in the Future, because it is still new, but it is possible Derpibooru need to remove all AI Art to prevent Copyright Problems.
Sheep exist in many Shows, but it show no MLP Content, the same to this strage white colored Bat Thing who wear a Rainbow Dash Wig.
In some Pictures you can interpret Figures but a picture like https://www.deviantart.com/dipzerange/art/Seraphine-Fanart-853924575 is not Fluttershy even if someone upload it with the Tag.
If Color Count, I could upload https://www.instagram.com/p/BpsSWcKDRVO as Human Rainbow Dash, even she is’nt it.
Here you can say its her: https://www.teahub.io/viewwp/wiiiih_photo-wallpaper-girl-fantasy-art-pink-eyes-fantasy
I have say Rule 1 (Respect Artist Works) and 3 (Pictures without any visible Connection to MLP, except a maybe similar Haircolor, but no Cutiemark, MLP Background or Name), not 1, 2 and 6.
But my Idea with this Post was more the Problem with possible Copyright Problems.
I have test a AI called Nightcafe with the Picture I use as Avatar and got this Abomination from it.
Of course its a public Service and not trained.
It need maybe Hundreds of trys to get something close to a real Artwork.
I could think 2907644 and 2890161 are maybe made in a similar Way as my Picture.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Question is, if you take a Picture from someone on the DNP-List, like artist:fenixdust and made an AI Picture of lets say this and change the Pony into Twilight, like tha Artist has made it, would this still be DNP or ok?
If you see someone making derivative works from other artists’ copyrighted images, report it.
It doesn’t matter if the original artist is DNP or not, it doesn’t matter if the derivative work was made by a human or an AI.
And, yes, we’ve had instances where someone did something very much like that, to re-create an the artist’s Patreon or Paywalled images.
Just think of all the uncensored or de-watermarked images I assume anyone using this site has seen, made by someone trying to remove a censor bar, or dodge a paywall - or all the edits made purely to remove a watermark or an artist’s signature - whether someone is doing that with the assistance of AI or not, those are very much Rule #1.
it is possible Derpibooru need to remove all AI Art to prevent Copyright Problems.
No. If your incredibly odd understanding of copyright were true this site wouldn’t be here.
Humans been violating artist’s copyrights since before this site started. It isn’t a new problem and you don’t have to reinvent the wheel just because someone invented a new AI.
We’ve been dealing with copyright violations as long as I’ve been here. Just look at all the “Base Used” images from DA that are here. Every time you see someone from DA saying “based used” odds are they traced a copyrighted work, or traced someone else’s trace of a copyrighted work.
Every time an artist, or anyone else, reports a “Base Used” for Rule #1 - and provides enough information to validate that report - we contact the original artist and then respond based on their preferences.
The same is true with “machine generated” - if it credibly violated an artist’s copyright, report it. If you don’t provide enough information with the report to validate your claim, we’ll write you. We take Rule #1 very seriously - that’s why it is Rule #1.
Sometimes artists are ok with people “learning from their work”. Some take it as a compliment, some even encourage tracers and other kinds of derivative works. So just being reported, even being an outright trace or color edit, doesn’t mean that it will be taken down. The artist who owns the copyright can ask us to do whatever they want - it’s their copyright - and some artists say: “it is fine”. That’s their call.
But they don’t get to make that call if we don’t notice it or it doesn’t get reported. So report what you see that you believe are credible violations of an artist ’s copyright.
If you see an image, machine generated or not, that you believe violates an artist’s copyright, report it. Make sure you let us know which artist and which image it is derivative of in the text field.
Remember - some artists actively encourage others making derivative works. Some of them are really excited by what they see others do with them as the source.
So - If an image violates an artist’s copyright, regardless of whether its creation involved AI, report it for Rule #1 and we will deal with it just like we have every other time someone violated an artist’s copyright and it was reported.
I’m working on a couple such reports right now. It’s simple - just report the image, and indicate whose copyright is violated by it.
Linking things in a wall of text post is not a report.
Go to the image and report it. Whether you think it’s Rule #1 or #3, report it.
Seriously, I keep seeing people complaining about copyright violations and demanding that an entire new category of art be blanket banned because of it, then not reporting a single image.
So please report all the copyright violations that you claim to be aware of.
Your rule number 3 complaints are very much not something I’m worried about or personally interested in. Maybe someone else will talk with you about those. I just want to log on later this week and be able to claim and start working what I’m sure will be some really well documented Rule #1 reports you’re going to open as soon as you get the chance.
Remember, DNP doesn’t matter. Log the copyright violations you see and we will work them. Artists do not have to DNP to protect their copyright. Their rights are their rights.
2LDR r e p o r t i t
Background Pony #C01F
If you see someone making derivative works from other artists’ copyrighted images, report it.
It doesn’t matter if the original artist is DNP or not, it doesn’t matter if the derivative work was made by a human or an AI.
And, yes, we’ve had instances where someone did something very much like that, to re-create an the artist’s Patreon or Paywalled images.
Just think of all the uncensored or de-watermarked images I assume anyone using this site has seen, made by someone trying to remove a censor bar, or dodge a paywall - or all the edits made purely to remove a watermark or an artist’s signature - whether someone is doing that with the assistance of AI or not, those are very much Rule #1.
it is possible Derpibooru need to remove all AI Art to prevent Copyright Problems.
No. If your incredibly odd understanding of copyright were true this site wouldn’t be here.
Humans been violating artist’s copyrights since before this site started. It isn’t a new problem and you don’t have to reinvent the wheel just because someone invented a new AI.
We’ve been dealing with copyright violations as long as I’ve been here. Just look at all the “Base Used” images from DA that are here. Every time you see someone from DA saying “based used” odds are they traced a copyrighted work, or traced someone else’s trace of a copyrighted work.
Every time an artist, or anyone else, reports a “Base Used” for Rule #1 - and provides enough information to validate that report - we contact the original artist and then respond based on their preferences.
The same is true with “machine generated” - if it credibly violated an artist’s copyright, report it. If you don’t provide enough information with the report to validate your claim, we’ll write you. We take Rule #1 very seriously - that’s why it is Rule #1.
Sometimes artists are ok with people “learning from their work”. Some take it as a compliment, some even encourage tracers and other kinds of derivative works. So just being reported, even being an outright trace or color edit, doesn’t mean that it will be taken down. The artist who owns the copyright can ask us to do whatever they want - it’s their copyright - and some artists say: “it is fine”. That’s their call.
But they don’t get to make that call if we don’t notice it or it doesn’t get reported. So report what you see that you believe are credible violations of an artist ’s copyright.
If you see an image, machine generated or not, that you believe violates an artist’s copyright, report it. Make sure you let us know which artist and which image it is derivative of in the text field.
Remember - some artists actively encourage others making derivative works. Some of them are really excited by what they see others do with them as the source.
So - If an image violates an artist’s copyright, regardless of whether its creation involved AI, report it for Rule #1 and we will deal with it just like we have every other time someone violated an artist’s copyright and it was reported.
I’m working on a couple such reports right now. It’s simple - just report the image, and indicate whose copyright is violated by it.
Linking things in a wall of text post is not a report.
Go to the image and report it. Whether you think it’s Rule #1 or #3, report it.
Seriously, I keep seeing people complaining about copyright violations and demanding that an entire new category of art be blanket banned because of it, then not reporting a single image.
So please report all the copyright violations that you claim to be aware of.
Your rule number 3 complaints are very much not something I’m worried about or personally interested in. Maybe someone else will talk with you about those. I just want to log on later this week and be able to claim and start working what I’m sure will be some really well documented Rule #1 reports you’re going to open as soon as you get the chance.
Remember, DNP doesn’t matter. Log the copyright violations you see and we will work them. Artists do not have to DNP to protect their copyright. Their rights are their rights.
2LDR r e p o r t i t
Agree with you!!!
Background Pony #EEED
!remindme 14 days to check if they edited spam links into their posts ⇧
Not because it’s about AI, but because that’s the modus operandi of new accounts with generic names replying to old threads with generic, only superficially on-topic messages.
[edit] Yup, it happened!
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide