New comment discussion thread

Nebbie
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Artist -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Economist -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Nebutton
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I hate how the line of buttons and “Posted __” is light until you mouseover. It’s absolutely terrible in the default theme.  
The text is also smaller than the comment text, which is likely to be an issue for those far from their monitors or visually impaired since they’d need to zoom in, at which point the comment text is possibly too big.

I don’t like the border around badges.

I don’t like how the pane showing existing comments is not aligned with the new comment entry pane.

I think “Comments” next to the number posted shown should be removed. It’s redundant.  
For that matter, there’s a big word “Comments” above the pane too that’s just as redundant.

I don’t like how the “Refresh Comment Pane” button is not vertically centered within the big bar it’s in.

I don’t like how resizing the comment entry box makes it move in position (due to the word “Reply” being there). This, however, is a problem in the forums too.

I don’t like the vertical spacing between comments. Unnecessary padding when we already have padding within each comment.

The preview uses the forum settings exactly, which is bad. It also only updates on typing, so using the “Quote/Reply” button doesn’t update it.
Background Pony #46F9
@Javert-Was-Here  
It is the same script as the old layout, just that now you’ll have to see that information every time you comment rather than having it hidden as you used to.
Legovlas
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Okay, so the way the comments look right now, it’s much better than it was at first, with the name on side and the big avatar. I kinda like it/don’t mind it.

I think it would be better though, if the timestamp of the comment and the quote, reply, etc. buttons had a set position from bottom of the frame rather than being a bit more far away from it in one-line comments.

I am still probably gonna block the avatars in adblock anyway or wait for someone based to create script for old look.
Clover the Clever
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <@CloverTheClever> I'd pay to see Carcer in a fursuit
Always Codes Drunk - It explains a lot
From the Night - I have technically banned myself a bunch of times...
Since the Beginning  - User number zero

Lord and Saviour
@Taivastiuku  
We might end up with something like that - we’ve made a step in that direction already with the latest round of updates. (Several steps in fact - reducing avatar size, shuffling some bits around etc)

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone - we do want to make this right for as many people as possible.
And Brother I Hurt People
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Squirrel - "Is there a badge for being an oblivious fuck?"
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Thread Starter - /dis/the-cringe-thread
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

I like the idea, but hate all of that empty white space. In its own way, that’s actually kind of a good thing; it inspires me to write more on an image that just “cute pic”.

I don’t really care about people’s avatars, but it’s not anything that’s going to annoy me, so eh. I guess it’s good if you recognize people based on their avatars.

Also, is the site going slower because of the updates, or is it just me?
Clover the Clever
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <@CloverTheClever> I'd pay to see Carcer in a fursuit
Always Codes Drunk - It explains a lot
From the Night - I have technically banned myself a bunch of times...
Since the Beginning  - User number zero

Lord and Saviour
@scorn
>implying they would let people compare

Right, because nobody knows how to use archive.org or Google Cache or any of these sorts of tools at all, do they? Let alone the number of screenshots all over the place of the old comment system.

But no, let’s keep around twice as much unmaintainable spaghetti code and give ourselves twice as much code to test, debug, update when we change things and keep free of security holes. That makes sense.

The reaction to this latest update has confirmed my suspicions that we should just stop developing Derpi further. The code can sit at rest, we can do security updates when needed and that’ll be that. Changing comments gets us nothing but hate so there’s no point in trying to improve the upload/dedupe system because that’s just going to piss people off, fixing the frontend to make use of the WebM versions we’ve been rendering for GIFs isn’t worth the time because all we’re doing is improving shit for people like you. Why bother?

@Revenant Wings  
@Clover the Clever
While that’s kind of sad, I do like how the comment box area got cleaned up between last night and now; it doesn’t feel so crammed in one space.

Good to hear it’s an improvement. We aren’t actively trying to make this worse than it was.
Background Pony #46F9
@Clover the Clever  
Because you can’t take a joke.

And it goes along with the thing I told you guys a long while ago of “you should probably tell people you are gonna be doing a major change beforehand so that the normal flinch to change everyone has doesn’t become the main reaction”. But hey, I’m just a guy aimimg for a geese badge and trying my best to not be more helpful than the bare minimum.
barbeque
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Thread Starter - Tag alias request thread
Artist -
Bronze Bit -

If anything, with the new comments we made a big step towards reducing the codebase. The other things Clover mentioned are in various stages of completion – they’re just not ‘ready enough’ yet to push out to the site. Which in turn is mostly because none of us can spare 40 hours a week to work on the site.

And for those who liked the old comment system, I’ll just say that pretty much the sole reason I stayed as far away from it as possible is because it was one of the more sizeable spaghetti’s in existence. Most of that spaghetti is still there, though it’s not being used as much as before, so hopefully we can distangle it and throw away the cooled off chunks at some point in the near future.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide