New comment discussion thread

Clover the Clever
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <@CloverTheClever> I'd pay to see Carcer in a fursuit
Always Codes Drunk - It explains a lot
From the Night - I have technically banned myself a bunch of times...
Since the Beginning  - User number zero

Lord and Saviour
Comments now look like forums. Because unification of styles is good. Plus you now get badges and avatars in the right place and all that!

Discuss.
JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
Looks good.

Does the >> thumbnail/preview syntax work in the comments now? The “embed this image” section should be updated.
Kappe
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

The comments sections are now a whole lot bigger than they need to be though. It works for the forums with long, descriptive posts, but most image comments tend to be within a single line, which leaves alot of white space and alot of scrolling to do, imo.
Limabona

Ah, good.  
Now I’ll recognice the people commenting easier (as long as they don’t change their avatars all the time). I’m terrible with names.
Clover the Clever

Lord and Saviour
@JP  
Looks good.
Does the >> thumbnail/preview syntax work in the comments now? The “embed this image” section should be updated.

Should do, yep - and yeah, we’ll update the docs.

@Kappe  
The comments sections are now a whole lot bigger than they need to be though. It works for the forums with long, descriptive posts, but most image comments tend to be within a single line, which leaves alot of white space and alot of scrolling to do, imo.

We’ll be looking at ways to reduce the amount of vertical space used by comments in a later revision.
FanOfMostEverything
Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Planeswalker — FoME
Style unification is a good idea in theory, but thus far, the execution leaves something to be desired. Aside from the white space issues, having to reload the page completely after submitting a comment feels kind of weird. Really, the forums and the comment threads are quite different forms of interaction, and I’m not sure that using the form of one on the other was actually a good idea.

I suppose some of this is just knee-jerk rejection of the new. I’ll give it some more time, let myself get used to it.
Legovlas

Hmm, I liked the previous way much more. I don’t really need/want to see the avatars on comments and the older comment background with lighter color looked better. And like Kappe said, they are unnecessarily bigger now.  
Not much I can do about it other than trying to write a script to change all of this, but I wouldn’t be able to do that anyway, at least not soon enough.

Link to comment still seems to be a bit useless and when I just click on it and don’t open it as new window, the comment is “copied” and pasted above it. If you do the same with this copy, it pastes in the same comment again and this can seemingly go up to infinity if you try long enough.  
Pic shows what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/vvlJTof.png (for reference it’s the comment section of https://derpiboo.ru/731662 ).

Plus I had a script I found somewhere that let me hide comments by user IDs and it was really great to get rid of few annoying people, but I guess I just have to deal with it and live without the script.
Haywireblaster
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

yeah, making the forum posting method into the individual image comments is a bad idea, the comments section is meant to be small and concise, bumping it up to forum levels isn’t very useful, it leaves lots of white empty space, and requires a full page refresh to work, not very intuitive. I’d say stick with the old system
BigMax
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@ZuTheSkunk  
Mmm, I don’t know.  
I guess the main reason behind this change is to simplify the code and the stylesheet.

But indeed, I’ve never beed fond of the forums’ comment style, so I guess some things have to be tweaked.  
I’ll restrain my judgement until that.

Just have in mind that a simple user stylesheet more or less can revert everything to the previous appearance.
Background Pony #93E5
I hate having avatars there. I think the visibility of those should be a user-configurable thing.
BigMax

Something I expected to see was the ability to edit your comments, just like you can edit your forums posts. :I  
But I guess it’s just a decorative change for now.
Background Pony #3342
Because unification of styles is good.

No, it isn’t. Avatars and useless information a la “topics started” is distracting. Plus avatars are making every post very wide, it’s hard to read like that, specifically when it’s short posts like “artistname your genius/shit”, “I really love how you draw ears”, et c.  
So no, it’s not good, change comments back. Or at least make it configurable. But please, if you do so, make the old system default one, I really don’t want to register just so I can have not-shity comments, thank you very much.
Background Pony #3950
@Clover the Clever

Thanks, Clover! I love new features/changes. Now each image page looks more colorful with all those avatars.

I can sense another advantage of this:  
• People may consider their manners and the content of comments better when they sign their comments with their avatars! It will, in turn, look like a more cultured discussion.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
Style unification is a good idea in theory, but thus far, the execution leaves something to be desired. Aside from the white space issues, having to reload the page completely after submitting a comment feels kind of weird. Really, the forums and the comment threads are quite different forms of interaction, and I’m not sure that using the form of one on the other was actually a good idea.
I suppose some of this is just knee-jerk rejection of the new. I’ll give it some more time, let myself get used to it.
Pretty much this. At the moment it feels weird, like if Firefox (the browser I use to well, browse Derpibooru) didn’t load the form data correctly again.

Preliminarily:

Pros:  
-Avatars. Makes it easier to see who said what.

Cons:  
-Comment editing. I’m not against this per se, but feel that picture comments should remain static (insofar as they don’t violate the rules), mainly for historiographical purposes more than anything else.
Clover the Clever

Lord and Saviour
Avatars are going to stay - their size and placement will probably change in response to the comments we’ve had so far, though (to make things more compact).

Keeping all the old code required to render the old comments isn’t something we’re going to do - as people have alluded to, simplification of the codebase is partly why we did this.

Editing of comments, likely only for a short time period after posting, is something we are looking at, but we’re doing one thing at a time for now.

Keep the feedback coming - thanks everyone!
Background Pony #3950
@Hugobertington.Esq

I find comments easier to read now they aren’t so condensed.

Moreover, now that each image has its forums form, a person commenting has a better sense of partaking in derpibooru’s community.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
Editing of comments, likely only for a short time period after posting, is something we are looking at, but we’re doing one thing at a time for now.
I’m totally on board for short-term comment editing however (even with regards to what I said above).
Legovlas

Avatars are going to stay - their size and placement will probably change in response to the comments we’ve had so far, though (to make things more compact).

Okay then, luckily adblock exists.
WinterCutieMark
Non-Fungible Trixie -

The size of each commend feels to big when a lot of them are no more than one or two lines. At this point anything that will reduce wasted space for the shorter comments would be a plus.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide