New AI Policy

Site and Policy » New AI Policy Search Posts
Rainbow Dash
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artistic Detective -

Maybe a little bit wolfy

AI Imagery Policy

Go here for an unofficial poll and for deeper discussion on the topic.

For clarity, only the ai generated tag is hidden by the default filter, not ai assisted.

Preamble

As machine learning generated image technology matured, we had hoped its use would transition from a novelty to another element in creatives’ toolsets. Unfortunately, while we’ve definitely seen many artists use the new tools, as well as new creators use them to great effect to create new, refined works, we’ve also experienced an uncontained proliferation of “press button for image” type content, much of it of objectively low quality when looking past a small thumbnail.
This policy is aimed at addressing this issue’s effect on this site. The very short of it is strict upload limitations for the number of such images allowed to be uploaded (2 per user per day), combined with low quality images being deleted. For the sake of brevity, we’re also changing terms from “machine learning” to simply “AI”.
These rules and updates will be published now and go fully in effect one week from now. Images of exceptionally low quality, particularly those uploaded as spam or where the uploader admitted the quality was low, may be retroactively deleted, but the majority of existing content should not be affected.
Additionally, images that are fully AI generated are Hidden in all default filters (except Maximum Spoilers and Legacy), and filtered from Trending Images.
Please note that this is only our initial policy, and we are open to community feedback and suggestions, and these policies may change if we truly missed something, or if they just don’t work in practice.

Basics

Tags

ai assisted - Images where AI was used, but there there is a significant amount of manual editing (through extensive in/outpainting and/or use of external programs), such that the AI image only served as a base (ie. “photobash” with AI).
Also used for images where a minor portion of the image was edited by AI, such as detailing part of an image (like a lace pattern), adding a background or background element (where these are clear but not the focus of the image), finishing (coloring, shading, or detailing) a fine sketch / lineart (i.e where the base image was made by an artist, is more detailed than a crude stick figure drawing, and its attributes notable retained), or adding AI-made voices to videos.
This does not apply to an artist using AI to upscale their own images, add interpolation frames to their animation, or adding out of focus / procedural as background filler.
Remember to use artist: tags when uploading these images.
ai generated - Images where a significant portion, or the whole, of the image was created by an AI. This includes multiple generation passes, low numbers of simple in- and outpainting, minor edits to an AI-made image (for basic fixes), or img2img-like “recreations” of a crude sketches, photo, or other prior image where the base image is almost completely lost.
Images with this tag should include prompter: and generator: tags
Additionally, images with this tag are Hidden in all default filters (except Maximum Spoilers and Legacy), and filtered from Trending Images.
ai content - Used for ai generated and ai assisted content, and implied by these tags. This is to denote an AI system had a non-trivial contribution to the final image.
prompter: - specifies the prompter of an ai generated image. If none is provided, staff may add one.
generator: - name of the generator used in an ai generated image. e.g. NovelAI, Purplesmart.AI, Dall-E, etc. If a raw/local Stable Diffusion setup was used, use the name of the model/checkpoint.

Rules

Rule #1
  • Do not upload edits without either permission or a reasonable expectation the artist is okay with them; by default, before considering their past art/behavior/statements/etc., it’s expected artists aren’t okay with:
    • Changes to their signature or watermarks
    • Major thematic changes (such as fetishes, characters, races, or political stances)
    • Use of AI to alter the image (changing elements, “finishing” sketches, decensoring, or upscaling)
      Always tag “edit” to distinguish from the original.
  • Do not use AI to emulate an artist’s personal style without clear approval from the artist. This does not apply to highly commercial or culturally significant styles (e.g. from renown dead painters, or popular TV shows). Unintentional “style copying” due to model biases may be deleted after review.
Rule #3
  • Do not upload AI generated images of poor quality, such as with impossible geometry or malformed anatomy that hinder the image’s purpose, or anything containing aberrant “ghost” signatures; for instance, a pinup image should not include deformed hands, while a comedic image of “An alien pony climbing a tree” may include bizarre elements.
Rule #6
  • Avoid uploading multiple similar images not made by an artist within an hour; this primarily affects unedited images from paper-doll / pony creator type generators, media and game screenshots with no qualitative difference between them, or AI Generated images with little or no essential variation.
  • Avoid uploading more than two “AI Generated” images per day. Refer to the Tag Guidelines for information on where this tag applies.

FAQ Clarifications

Rule 1: I want to post an edit of an artist’s work
Please check the artist’s tag first; some artists expressly forbid edits of their work and your edit may be deleted. If you have permission from the artist, note that in the upload’s description.
Otherwise, keep in mind the list of edit types we automatically assume are against most artists’ wishes; if you believe an artist whose work you wish to edit and post would be OK with such edits, include a link or other evidence of that in the upload’s description. This also applies to using AI to emulate an artist’s unique personal art style in general; if you have evidence they’re OK with their style being copied through AI, present it.
Rule 3: My AI Generated image was deleted for low quality, but it looked great?
It’s likely your image included bad anatomy (additional limbs, impossible bending, clothes merging into flesh, etc.) or artifacts (floating elements, fake text). In general we treat AI Generated images with little or no human editing in a similar way to screencaps: we only keep the best. We recommend you curate your generations and select the finest if you wish to share on the site. We also recommend looking into how to edit and improve these images manually through edits in external apps, collaging, etc., as well as drawing base sketches to work from, to make such images “truly yours” and not rely solely on AI.
Rule 6: What are “similar images”?
This refers to screencaps of shows or games, edits, character creators, and AI generated images. Alternative versions of an artist’s original work, such as versions with different clothing, are exempt.
  • Screenshots of shows: alternative crops of the same screencap, or minute differences between screencaps that are just a few frames apart.
  • Paper-doll/kisekae type games and character creator tools: screencaps or exports of the results with no significant editing variation
  • AI Generated images: images that follow the same prompt / theme, even if several details are different.
Rule 6: AI Generated upload restrictions
This restriction only applies to AI Generated images without significant amounts of human editing. If you upload more than two AI Generated images within a 24 hour period, staff may delete some of them at their own discretion. Repeatedly uploading too many AI Generated images after being warned, or trying to circumvent the two per 24 hours limit, is grounds for being banned.
Difference between AI Generated and AI Assisted
These tags are exclusive to each other. AI Generated images have been created by an AI / Machine Learning Algorithm and have no editing, or only minor editing, such as fixing small errors like removing extra nostrils.
AI Assisted images use AI as a part of the creative process combined with significant human artistic input. This can mean things like using AI models to apply colours to hand-drawn lineart, using AI generated imagery for background elements, or adding AI voices to a human-created animation. AI Assisted also applies to images that originate as AI Generated, but have been extensively edited by a human by means such as heavy inpainting, manually painting over, tracing the artist’s own lineart, and/or combining elements from different AI generated images; essentially, where hours of manual work have been put into creating the image, rather than just hitting “generate” until the AI creates something “good enough”.
I uploaded an AI Generated image and can’t find it?
Please check your current filter, as most default filters are set to hide AI Generated images.

For clarity, only the ai generated tag is hidden by the default filter, not ai assisted.

Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
Quick question.
Would an artist using an ai image as a reference and redrawing it in their own style count as “ai assisted”?
I’ve seen this happen a few times before so idk hiw that would be tagged
LemonDrop
Duckinator - Same nonsensical quacks in every pond
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Silver Bit -

C++ Crazed
I am curious why exactly it is being called AI now not machine learning. I mean something like the ghosts in Pac Man are AI but they are not machine learning, so it’s more of a superset I guess, but really is non-machine learning based AI (e.g. something like a static video game AI authored by humans) a problem to necessitate that generalization of terminology? Just seems like it’s trying to catch more stuff for no purpose, like changing it to “computer generated” would do as that’d include anything made by a computer be it an intelligent process or not, though CG wouldn’t include non-computerized artificial intelligence like the term AI would, if that is even a thing (dunno, some sort of analog game which has some degree of intelligence to it).
Just an odd choice is all.
kuren247
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Don't Dream It, Be It
Question: Would i have to tag both “ai generated” & the generator prompt? Can you more clarify on that?
I just mess around with AI in general and I upload the ones I’m think are cool. Little appetizers i call them while i work on actual content.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
@LemonDrop
Pure, simplicity’s sake, taking the short term that’s already used in common parlance. If we ever encounter an example of someone using, say, FSM AI to draw an image (by tracing agent movements across a board), we can figure out the exact name for that then and there. And no, we’re not interested in catching “old fashioned” procedural filters or pen-smoothing or the like into this.
AppleDash
Feather Freight - For Patreon supporters
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Bronze Bit -

Purple Pega
@LemonDrop
My understanding is that the term was picked simply because it was more commonly used and understood by the community. I believe that “AI” defined by this policy can be understood to mean “machine learning powered image generation or editing software.”
Zealousmagician
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Thank you for making tagging more detailed regarding AI and better clarifying the difference between AI-generated and AI-assisted art. All these changes seem very reasonable and well thought out.
Zaknel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Artist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Mods-Ezekiel 33:11
Really is a shame that AI has been creating so many problems when it has so much great potential.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Zaknel
Revolutionary technology often does so. Desktop publishing, the internet, TV, movies with actual sound tracks … minky fabric … telephones with screens and cameras … agriculture … fire …
EpicGamer10075
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Queen of Love - For those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event

I honestly haven’t seen too much good use of AI in this field, so my opinion may be somewhat biased, but I really think it should have a lot stricter regulations than this.
I understand you’re being cautious about this for the time being, as just straight-up banning it would be reckless and likely have negative consequences in some manner, but I firmly believe this site is meant to be used for sharing works of art created by passionate users, or comedic meme-y images for everyone’s enjoyment.
AI art, by its very nature, goes against that, and fills a lot of search results with pages of random stuff that practically no-one here cares for (the likes, dislikes, and comments on those images speak for themselves).
The very idea of all this AI art can be pretty demotivating for actual artists as well, as seeing more positive reactions– on this site or otherwise–to stuff that was created in mere moments rather than their own works that they’ve spent years building skills on and likely hours making the art piece itself, may push away from making art.
I, as a writer, am thankful that AI-generated stories are still pretty crappy, and thus cannot possibly replace actual hand-crafted stories, so I am currently safe from their wrath, but I know that drawing artists have it differently, especially on DeviantArt, and I do not think anyone here should be allowing AI to replace proper art creation in any way.
If someone actually uses this stuff to enhance their art in some, non-artificial way, then I’m all for it, but given what I have seen, I really don’t think it’s worth it to allow AI here.
I’m aware you’re all going to keep a more middle ground with more deliberation over each choice made, but this is at least what I thin about it all.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Zaknel
Still is. We had someone going nuts on images and attacking artists just last week because they were drawn with traditional media. Some people still are adjusting to the pencil.
Please note that this light-hearted banter is off topic though, and detracts from the purpose of this thread.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Policy is set and discussed