Markdown Migration

Background Pony #2D8C
@Autumn_Shy, @Princess Celestia, @LightningBolt, @Autumn_Shy
This commit was from before the Markdown implementation but I chuckled when I saw it: make textile not eat basics of furry communication
(nevermind that it’s also [perhaps even more primarily] basics of animu communication)
Anyway, ^some kind of mouth here like a period or an underscore^ still needs escaping the eyes… :C
[edit 2] I thought it wasn’t going to be necessary to escape double-newlines to get a full line height break, but it appears that it is required?
no escape

escape
Background Pony #2D8C
If I use the UI to apply a double level blockquote,
>
empty lines aren’t preserved as part of the 2nd level quote (the trailing space goes missing)
Background Pony #301E
Deletion reason: Rule #6 - Please keep your replies relevant to the thread
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Cool suggestion from me: how about where you can post an off-site video link that can also play the video at the same time here on this site.
SkyscraperPage Forums has that kind of thing.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Hopen Way
Its very nice, but I am not sure it’s really something that is so important that it needs to be special cased. The meaning of -> is preserved, either way.
Background Pony #A093
Web browsers and their developers really shouldn’t be the sole parties pushing the OS or Web standards boat along, though.
Also, web sites ought to strive for maximum compatibility in general. There is only rarely an actual impediment to accessing/receiving the contents as opposed to being unable to properly render the latest style/design/aesthetic changes.
Plus there been far too much application of Facebook’s classic “move fast and break things” approach in the last decade or so.

While security issues are a thing, they are rarely simple, across the board hazards. The real reason to quit XP was that Microsoft dropped support, not that XP was some vast hazard zone.
With regard to Firefox, 52.x is around the time they ditched the original add-on architecture and went even wilder with the per update changes. Browser diversity and customizability has really takeb a hit in recent years or so it seems.
Just saying there are sometimes perfectly good reasons to bot be using the “latest and greatest”.
Windows XP was remarkably stable and used incredibly little in the way of hardware resources by any modern standard… From Windows Vista on, not having at least 4 GB ram became almost untenable. Frankly Win10 seems to soak up atound 2-3+ GB of ram by the time it’s done loading up…
Mozilla Firefox used to be the browser for power users and anyone else who wanted both control over the experience and real usability improvements. Now it’s just another good browser with some crazy ideologues in the lead…
Background Pony #A093
Yikes, that was a wall of text.
Anyway, while FF 52.0.9+WinXP isn’t the best example it’s still generally good to assume people may be using something older/different than the latest mainstream releases of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
byte[]
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
@Count Adramalekhovich Searmagomedov
Off-site assets that you link in posts/comments are proxied through a separate service called Camo to avoid leaking any user information about the service except potentially the time of requests. This is a trade-off of privacy over convenience.
In theory, this is possible for video embeds too. However, in practice browser vendors have introduced some complications:
  • If you try to serve an entire video file in a single response, the browser will abort the request and won’t play it. This means Camo cannot correctly work for direct links to .webm or .mp4 files.
  • Most websites that are dedicated to serving video on demand content one of two standards:
    1. Apple HLS (HTTP Live Streaming)
    2. MPEG-DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP)
    Both of these require loading a lot of clientside code to play back videos, and even assume we used off the shelf DASH or HLS players, writing a proxy for these sites is a lot of work for limited reward.
Princess Celestia
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Administrator
Devops
@Background Pony #A093
We try to keep things as compatible as we can within reason. Certain browsers like IE or old cersions of FF or Chrome make less and less sense to support as time moves on and people abandon them, and we do wish to use certain features that these really old browsers simply don’t support, while 99.5% of currently most used ones do.
Sure you could argue we could provide an alternative design for these browsers, or maybe placeholders, but do consider that at best there are two unpaid volunteers working on the site code, who would rather not put in ridiculous amounts of effort required to keep alt/old designs up to date with new features just because <0.1% of our userbase refuses to use anything else. We already do our best to not go too crazy on features we use, keeping only to bare minimums that are most widely supported. The site is even usable without any JS.
That said, the particular version of FF linked in those posts seems to support these features just fine.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
Now I wonder which of the other boorus will follow suit…
As far as post-migration bugs go (on the banner), previously embedded images appear to have not converted, but otherwise I haven’t seen anything.
Background Pony #2D8C
Spotted this in a couple of my old posts: it looks like old posts that had trailing whitespace before a delimiter (and/or leading, maybe - mine had only trailing), which functioned in Textile, were converted in a way that doesn’t work in Markdown.
||for example ||
~~or this ~~
Of course it’s easy to not do that going forward, but there may well be broken-formatted text that the poster isn’t aware or even present to go back and edit.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide