Markdown Migration

Sollace
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

I am the night!
@Sollace
@☬ lincolnbrewsterfan ☬
That’d be far too much a nuclear option - for example, then you would not be able to quote or even write linked replies in the forums or comments.

Perhaps, but sometimes I just really don’t want to deal with markdown’s bs.

Alternatively they could provide the option to use bbcode instead (not that I think that will ever happen), which provides just as many features, is consistent, is more accessible to new users, and does all that whilst only highjacking two symbols.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Sollace  
I disagree that BBCode is more accessible to a total n00b than MD.

1. BBCode may as well be called “fake HTML”. Its verbosity makes one wonder why not let the users enter real HTML in the first place.  
  2. Way more (or at least more busy) sites use MD these days, so a new user to here has a greater chance of already knowing MD than BBCode.
Background Pony #2D8C
@Background Pony #2D8C  
The table formatting in my post here has gone from not making a table at first, to making a table, to not making a table again (as of the moment I’m posting this)…
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

I was surprised to see my upload’s description getting indents for the list from 1) to 4) but that’s the normal way to process Markdown if I understand your guide properly. What I’m not sure about is that the text after 4) got indented too. Is that a bug or am I just syntax-illiterate? Or does the following em dash mess up that syntax?

Also I can finally end link texts with commas, which is nice (the same goes for closing brackets). Before I needed to put a space between the url and those punctuations. Maybe that’s a niche bonus but it’s useful to me.

Kinda curious how the old→new converter will work with italics… I first used two asterisks around “after” in anticipation of Markdown and naturally the result was bolded instead. Like BigBuggyBastage said though, the meaning remains the same (even if some nuance might go away).
Sollace
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

I am the night!
@Roseluck  
The double asterisk is for bold, iirc. To make italic what you need is either the single asterisk or the underscore. (I recommend using underscore to avoid confusion)

imo If it was up to me I would yeet all the redundant italic forms and change bold to one asterisk.
Sollace
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am the night!
Pop quiz! Whoever can answer these all correctly without checking gets a free internet cookie.

Which is italic?
A. `_this_`
B. `|this|`
C. `*this*`
D. `***this***`
E. `___this___`
Which is bold?
A. `**this**`
B. `||this||`
C. `__this__`
D. `***this***`
E. `___this___`
Which is subscript?
A. `_this_`
B. `__this__`
C. `~~this~~`
D. `+this+`
Which is underlined superscript?
A. `@__this__@`
B. `___this___`
C. `^_this_^`
D. `___^this^___`
D. `_-this-_`
E. `__-this-__`

These are all markdown (ignore the backticks)
Princess Celestia
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Administrator
Devops
@Roseluck  
Presently the conversion layer may clash with normal markdown things. That’s temporary and will go away once the conversion is complete.

@Sollace  
|syntax| is a bug. It’ll be fixed.

Also a lot of what you specified will be gone after the conversion layer is gone.
Sollace
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am the night!
@typically.  
You got 1 out of 4 correct.

@Princess Celestia  
I’ll make an updated test after the conversion layer is removed then. I believe a good half of them should continue to work, though, because they’re what I have/seen used on Discord and seem to line up with the guide, at least for the italic/bold syntax’s.
Princess Celestia

Administrator
Devops
@Sollace  
This renders like so with the current version of our comrak. As I said, |syntax| will be removed as it’s an unintended bug.  
[nix-shell:~/code/philorak]$ ./target/debug/comrak -e philomena -e strikethrough -e superscript test4.md  
<div class="paragraph">Which is italic?  
A. <em>this</em>  
B. <em>this</em>  
C. <em>this</em>  
D. <em><strong>this</strong></em>  
E. <em><ins>this</ins></em>  
Which is bold?  
A. <strong>this</strong>  
B. <span class="spoiler">this</span>  
C. <ins>this</ins>  
D. <em><strong>this</strong></em>  
E. <em><ins>this</ins></em>  
Which is subscript?  
A. <em>this</em>  
B. <ins>this</ins>  
C. <del>this</del>  
D. __this__  
Which is underlined superscript?  
A. `<ins>this</ins>`  
B. <em><ins>this</ins></em>  
C. <sup>*this*</sup>  
D. <em><ins><sup>this</sup></ins></em>  
D. <em>~~this~~</em>  
E. <ins>~~this~~</ins></div>  

Actually, here’s a gist with the actual output so it’s not messed with by Textile converter

This makes the following answers correct (for when Textile->Markdown conversion layer is removed):  
  • Which is italic?  
    All of them. Some have different formatting.

• Which is bold?  
    • A  
    • D (with extra formatting)

• Which is subscript?  
    None of these

• Which is underlined superscript?  
    • D (with extra italics for some reason)
Sollace
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am the night!
@Princess Celestia  
What is an “ins” tag? full

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is it’s not immediately obvious which markup does what from just looking at it.

Maybe it’s my experiences with bbcode speaking, but to me I find bbcode easier to understand than the mess of cryptic symbols markdown dumps on you and would rather deal with a slightly more verbose language than an unintelligible one.

A few other issues I noticed whilst writing this:  
  1. With the conversion it seems underline requires 4 underscores otherwise it produces italics  
  2. Repeating `=============` renders as =
Princess Celestia

Administrator
Devops
@Sollace  
Well, Markdown does resemble the output somewhat. To me as someone who used to RP years ago in places where no BBcode or Markdown existed, it’s immediately obvious that *text* would mean an action, which I’d typically expect to be italics, while **text** would be an emphasis, which I’d expect to be bold. From various messenger platforms like Telegram or Whatsapp, it’s also immediately obvious that __text__ is underline or that ~~text~~ is strikethrough. While with BBCode (when I moved on to forums), I had to rely on the buttons 90% of the time because I could not remember what BBCode did what exactly.

What I’m trying to say is that people are used to this kind of thing. It’s immediately obvious to more people. And the input really resembles the output. Things produced are exactly how you’d expect them to look like for the most part.

As for your points:  
1 - That will be gone after conversion is done. Rely on Textile syntax for now.  
2 - Will fix.
Sollace
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am the night!
@Princess Celestia  
Yeah, fair point, and that’s partly why I included the “my experience thing”.

The first forums I frequented were bbcode-enabled, and I learned it really quickly due to the similarity to HTML. We did also put actions in as `*does something*` but when transferring to a markdown-enabled platform that became more of an annoyance than anything else that it would keep converting my actions into italics (which I didn’t want).

There were a few other places I got frustrated by markdown clashing with symbols I was used to using but couldn’t due to markdown converting it into formatting.

It’s made worse by every platform these days seemingly having their own variation of markdown that works slightly differently. I still struggle with the syntax for links and image embeds because of that, and tables are an enigma.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide