is there an "editor:" tag? Should there be?

Questionmarktarius
Platinum bit -
Emerald -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I’ve been running through all the crap I did on ponibooru, and noticed that it’s all photoshoppery mashed up from stolen (but eventually credited) art.

Should editors/mashupers get some sort credit? I honestly have no idea.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
It’s a tricky question; some edits are indeed just image + vector or something that seems to have been slapped together in MSPaint in under 2 minutes. But other edits are rather more involved, like properly edited screencaps, or impressive colourings.

If anyone has a decent proposal for separate tags for these things that doesn’t “devalue” the real effort people put into some of these, do state it.
Background Pony #C7DF
How about “colourist” at least for folks who do the colourings? Im still pretty new and sometimes have trouble recognizing who drew and who coloured some of these pictures.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

^colorings fall under collaboration imho (and there are more ways of collaborating than lineart/colorist) where artist: is clearly to be used, because often coloring a pic involves significantly more work than the original lineart or sketch. There are of course Paint bucket-fill jobs but theere are also crappy sketches. You can’t say who is more deserving of the “artist” title by separating colorists alone.

I usually find it simple to find out who did what, and to what extent they have earned credit, as soon as I click the tag.

Should editors/mashupers get some sort credit? “I honestly have no idea” is what I think too. xD Usually people willingy relinquish those bragging rights and do not get tagged. In fact, I think we’ve been known to go as far as to omit the name in cases where it was undeserved, eg. someone making a 1 minute Paint edit on someone else’s work and then posting it on their DeviantArt. The one or two exceptions who do get tagged seems to receive it as a recognition of the quality effort they have put into those edits (and perhaps prolificity and e-fame).
InLucidReverie
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Pretty Horse
I recommend 4 new system tags in this kind of vein:

#Colourist  
As an artist it’s not all that great to have credit split when not due… it can also crease some confusion if you don’t even realise it wasn’t you that coloured it (>>674564). It’s not always completely clear from comments or source, so a clear distinction between original line artist and colourist would make things more useful.  
Also, some people spend most of their time doing edits and colourings, so it can be a bit confusing if you’re scrolling an artist tag and don’t know exactly what they’re actually doing just from the thumbnail.

#Animator  
This one’s pretty important for me and has been something I’ve been tagging for myself anyway. The reason I believe this one is important is due to the possibility of work that was animated by someone other than the artist… which is actually pretty common as in animation the animator conforms to what the keyframe artist draws. An example would be this piece, for which I am animator, but some of the drawn assets used actually belong to the comic creator.

#Editor:  
>>784999 – Quick, simple edits for comedic reasons. Mashups, .

#EditArtist:  
>>822074 – Edits that could potentially or definitely be considered new artwork in their own right; this may include digital Wallpapers. The art equivalent of a remix.
Xaekai
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Responsible Disclosure - ZERO​WIDTH​SPACES
Squirrel - "There are better things to WOOP WOOP to"

Mo​dular Ponkfag
The use of animator:username as a separate tag for pieces where the animator and the artist are the same person is stupid.
Vox
Artist -

An editor tag would be a good idea, though, as the vast majority of edits aren’t worthy of the artist tag. For everything else, artist works fine - otherwise it’d just result in tag pileups and problems with search clarity.
InLucidReverie
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

Pretty Horse
@Xaekai  
I disagree. IT’s a distinct difference.

It may feel like a redundancy in many cases, but for the sake of filtering it’s a fantastic tool! If you are searching for an animator then you want only their animated work. You want 3 separate things…

1. the pieces that they have been a p[art of as animator only  
  2. the pieces they have worked on alone as animator  
  3. you want to NOT include every damn drawing they’ve ever done.

Currently even if you search ‘Artist:username, animated’ there’s no clear definition of who did what for collaborations so searching for the work of a particular animator who works with others becomes a nightmare.

@Vox  
otherwise it’d just result in tag pileups and problems with search clarity

As long as there’s a clear distinction made between types of editor then it shouldn’t be an issue. Might take a little getting used to, but it wouldn’t usually result in anything being tagged anything EXTRA.

I’m more particularly interested in the animator, colourist and editor tags, though. The EditArtist idea is less pressing to me than the others.
ED-SKaR
Artist -

I personally disagree, and will explain why, but will offer some ideas anyway.

My view is that of what an artist is. Drawings are art, paintings are art, CG images are art, but so is music, so is dance. There are long arguments about “computer games as art” or “television as art”. Is humour art?  
  1. Art is something that a person or group has spent time making.2. It shows the skill of that person or group and, 3. It draws out a response in those that watch/listen to/look at it.

So it is my view that an animator is an artist as the animation that they make is art, and should be tagged as having created that animation.  
    Someone who draws an origonal B&W piece is just as much an artist as the person who comes along later and spends their time colouring that piece in. They should both be tagged as such.  
    The writer for a comic should be tagged just as much as the artist who drew it afterwards.

Kind of along the lines of what celebrities we follow. Everybrony knows the name and face of the entire VA staff of MLP, most of us can name at least one of the writers, and very few even know anything about the animators. Yet each of them work their special talent into the show that we love. They’re all artists, and all deserving.

As our artist tags include the name of the artist EG “artist:ED-SKaR” then you know the people involved in creating a piece. and separating those who deserve the “artist:” tag over those who ‘only’ deserve an “editor:” tag doesn’t seem serve any purpose.

Which logically extends to those who maybe don’t deserve the tag. Does someone who spends twelve seconds in MS paint drawing horse genitalia over someone else’s painting really deserve to be mentioned as an “artist:”?

And most importantly, where do you draw that line (pardon the pun)?

So if a system of separating these tags up were to be introduced, how would they be divided?

Do we seperate those who hand draw and paint from those who CG and photoshop? How about those who use ms paint from those who use photoshop?  
Or do they all stay under the “artist:” tag?

There is a lot of artists helping each other or furthering another’s work by colouring in a previously uncoloured work, are they to get a separate “colourer:” tag? Furthermore is that different from otherwise editing someone elses work?  
Would a person who uses vectors count as an editor?

All considered, how does the following set line up:  
“Origonal artist:”  
“Editing artist:”  
“Colouring artist:”  
“3d modeller:”  
“Animator:”  
“Writer:”  
“Captioner:”

I’d be interested to see how this system were to be implemented, the Derpibooru staff have done a lot of hard work to improve the website, introducing new features, changing how tags work, lots of behind the scenes tweaks that we don’t always notice….  
… Making a thing…. showing their skill…. appreciated by others….hmmm.
InLucidReverie
Artist -

Pretty Horse
I don’t mean to suggest that an animator is not an artist- that’s the opposite of what I want. My recommendation of a separate tag is rather to distinctify one person’s contribution to a piece from another’s.

“This person is the primary artist of this piece- they created the original and are solely involved in it’s existence” is the implication of the artist tag… so when there’s more than one person tagged the assumption is equa;l investment in the final piece.

it’s hard to see one that’s tagged with 3 artists and know if it’s 15 hours’ worth of one person’s time with a quick and dirty colour job by someone bored on a Sunday night… and more importantly who did what without going into the tags and trying to work it out for yourself.

My thinking is that the Artist tag would refer to the person who created the first piece, with additional work thereafter distinctly identified by what was done.

(…or so I see i at it’s most basic, though personally i think a much more indepth change would be preferable as explained here)
Xaekai
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Mo​dular Ponkfag
Currently even if you search ‘Artist:username, animated’ there’s no clear definition of who did what for collaborations

>collaborations

Your tag isn’t going to improve that at all. In fact you pointed out something that likely makes it worse. Imagine an animation that was a collaboration of like 5 people. Now you have ten tags just for that. All I see this doing is putting unnecessary load on the server to process metadata.

Of course there are plenty of other people doing that already.
InLucidReverie
Artist -

Pretty Horse
@Xaekai  
and that wouldn’t already be tagged as ‘artist:i’maperson,artist:i’manotherguy,artist:whatislife’ etc anyway? In big groups like an animation group it would usually result in being tagged “animator:sitonaferretstudio’ or something where the credits can easily be gotten seperately from the appropriate channel. This is much more something that would affect small things.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
Now you have ten tags just for that. All I see this doing is putting unnecessary load on the server to process metadata.
I can tell you right now that the handling and serving of your avatar icon is a magnitude heavier on our servers on this single thread and day than the additional tags would be on the rather few affected images over the course of a month.
Clover the Clever
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <@CloverTheClever> I'd pay to see Carcer in a fursuit
Always Codes Drunk - It explains a lot
From the Night - I have technically banned myself a bunch of times...
Since the Beginning  - User number zero

Lord and Saviour
@The Smiling Pony  
+1. Tags cost us nothing in terms of computational complexity. Tags scale well and we could support hundreds per image without issue, frankly, and do so on some images. We already have hundreds of thousands of tags, and literally millions of tag-image pairings, it’s not an issue.
Vox
Artist -

Suggesting a solution: make the artist tag a generic contributor tag, and have it be implied by the other tags - that way the current system can be preserved while still introducing additional labels.

Additionally, illustrator tags (with additional sketch/linework tags as necessary) should be included in the discussion; lots of talk about contributing animators and editors, but what if I want to find a sketch by Ipsum when they tend to contribute colour/animation to others’ work? I could exclude all other creator tags and add an artist:ipsum, but what if they had coloured/animated something they had sketched?

I thought parts were silly at first, but as I think about it, the more the idea grows on me. I could see this being invaluable for a vast number of searches, and would love to see it implemented.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Personally I find it difficult to imagine a system that works because: 1. the amount of work done per person is a sliding scale that’s difficult to pin down; I feel that squeezing people into categories does not do justice to the actual contribution; 2. this is really impractical:  
artist:vree  
writer:vree  
editor:vree  
animator:vree  
etc.  
Either you Imply the artist: main tag, because how else is one supposed to find a person’s other works (and then we are back to where we strated) or worse, all of them, with 5-6 tags per person all over the place.

You can probably come up with a better solution…

@ED-SKaR  
  1. Art is something that a person or group has spent time making.2. It shows the skill of that person or group and, 3. It draws out a response in those that watch/listen to/look at it.

This, I’d say there is a general definition:  
  1. if a person spent time and skills on it, it’s art  
    (which includes, to me, the idea of minimum acceptable quality, or in this case, added quality)  
    and a practical definition:  
  2. if it lets people find it more easily, it should be tagged.  
    (unspoken corollary: tags should not themselves act in a self-defeating manner, eg. identical and related tags need to be aliased, implied, or linked through their descriptions)
InLucidReverie
Artist -

Pretty Horse
Ideally the way to go would be to use Creator where unsure then those with more knowledge on the matter can retag where appropriate.

I don’t want to suggest a way that makes things more difficult for searching (hence the ‘Artist:’ umbrella that works exactly as searching it does now. The idea is for narrowing down results or for finding specific things a person has done.
Xaekai

Mo​dular Ponkfag
@Vox  
I could see this being invaluable for a vast number of searches, and would love to see it implemented.

It’s a lovely theory. But in practice? I imagine the back catalog of uploads may never fully get completely and accurately retagged to such a system. Especially in the many cases where the origins are lost. Tumblrs/dAs that no longer exist. Artists that are no longer active. Etc etc.
InLucidReverie
Artist -

Pretty Horse
Yeah, probably that would be true, but I’d expect that won’t truly be an issue if most people are defaulting to “Artist:%% -Editor:%%” or the like anyway, which is how i imagine it would work in most cases. edits and animations and the like would likely be updated pretty quickly.
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
Honestly, coming up with different tags just seems needlessly complicated to me. Like Vree said, multi-medium contributers kind of bog the entire concept of having multiple tags. Very few images aren’t properly tagged when things like “edit”, and “animated” come into play, making it fairly easy to separate them. Behold:  
It might be easier to come up with a tag for the mashups. We already kind of have such a tag in the form of X in photoshop (where X is various chronological values meant to mock the OP)

Also too, lemme be real for a moment, I’d be kind of insulted if someone swapped all my images for something like “editor:dtkraus” or “editartist:dtkraus”; I’d feel kind of degraded, y’know.

~Also, senpai noticed me
VelvetInkwell

I agree with a colorist tag for those that color monochrome images. and Animator tags for those that animate images. such as Colorist:Name and Animator:name to go alongside the original artists credit.
ED-SKaR
Artist -

@ED-SKaR
As an aside, what’s the best way to credit the original, then? The best guess I had was to carry over the ‘artist’ tag from the drawing.

If part of their work is involved in the new work, if you’ve edited it, then their artist tag is required. Otherwise you can put a link in the description and say ‘inspired by’.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide