Viewing last 25 versions of post by Derpy Whooves in topic Filly Funtasia Images: Pony Related or not?

Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
"[@Meow the Cat":](/meta/filly-funtasia-images-pony-related-or-not/post/4271973#post_4271973
)  
Yeah. It's not that the server couldn't handle it. It's how do you support a second franchise, with its own episodes, characters, and fan art, inside of a booru built for one and only one franchise?

Aside from what changes might be necessary to keep the nearly identical tags separated into their own franchise, like how do you separate episode or character tags for FF from MLP, you also need to build the human expertise necessary to support an entirely different, but at the same time so similar that it's effectively a rip-off, franchise at the same level of support we give MLP?

This site is able to do what it does because the staff and community are MLP fans. We can identify the characters at a glance, and know the actors and many of the staff on sight.

So even if you separate out "Character (MLP)" from "Character (FF)", and "Episode (MLP)" from "Episode (FF)", you're still stuck with the question of how to moderate and support the show given that the staff doesn't watch the show?

Here's an example: say this image was on this site:

![full](https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/filly/images/9/95/PrincessSparkle.jpg!

)

Is that Princess Sparkle? Or a fan artist's take on Princess Celestia as a Unicorn? Or is this concept art from a leak of G5 proposals?

And who is this fan art of?

![full](http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u3k69oatQzI/UrET7oKlDFI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/hhUn3S7rEns/s1600/prussia_funtasia_by_sketchy_pony-d6w86lj.png!

)

You might think it's Pinkie Pie, but it's not. This is the one who likes cupcakes, and fun.

Just like the image of Princess Sparkle above, it you just uploaded that image to the site it could plausibly be a fan artist's interpretation of Pinkie Pie as a Prusian, but it's not. It's Bella, the pony who likes cupcakes and fun, as a Prusian. Totally not MLP. And totally not Pinkie Pie.

Here's one more. Is this a screencap from an episode of Filly Fantasia? Or is it concept art from a book about the show? Or is it fan art?

![full](http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/39800000/Alyssa-filly-funtasia-39877015-1600-1358.png!

)

If your answer was "ScreenCap", which episode it from? Who are the characters in this frame? Is this from an asset that is ok for us to host? Or is it from a book or is it a leaked asset from an unreleased episode that's going to result in trouble if we host it?

And is that a Parasprite? Or a Breezie? Are both the characters canon characters? Or is one or both of them an OC?

All of a sudden the robust and reasonably accurate tagging this site is built around stops working, and we're no longer able to answer simple questions like "is it ok for us to host this?"

With MLP we are able to moderate disputes and help answer questions that come up and to fix tagging mixups or mistakes, and we are able to be responsible for what assets we will and will not host, because we love the show and watch it and are involved in the community.

It's not just about how we would support two separate and unique namespaces in a single namespace, altough that is a big part of it. It's also about recognizing how much we benefit from, and are dependent upon, the enormous experience and expertise that our community and volunteers have with MLP.

I mean, I honestly can't answer half of the questions I asked about that last example image I used, and that's even after reading the freaking wiki page I found it on. I still don't know if that's from an episode, or it it is concept art, or if it's fan art. And I still don't know if that flying thing is supposed to be a FF version of a parasprite, a Breezie, or if it's that franchise's version of Spike.

I mean, heck - if I didn't know that image came from a FF wiki, I wouldn't have been surprised if someone told me it came from an ad for one of the new Tinkerbell movies. Or was concept art for an upcoming Disney movie. Or was from a children's book about fairy ponies and their pet dragonflies.

Any one of which I would totally watch.
Reason: Because Tinkerbell Rules.
Edited by Derpy Whooves
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
"@Meow the Cat":/meta/filly-funtasia-images-pony-related-or-not/post/4271973#post_4271973
Yeah. It's not that the server couldn't handle it. It's how do you support a second franchise, with its own episodes, characters, and fan art, inside of a booru built for one and only one franchise?

Aside from what changes might be necessary to keep the nearly identical tags separated into their own franchise, like how do you separate episode or character tags for FF from MLP, you also need to build the human expertise necessary to support an entirely different, but at the same time so similar that it's effectively a rip-off, franchise at the same level of support we give MLP?

This site is able to do what it does because the staff and community are MLP fans. We can identify the characters at a glance, and know the actors and many of the staff on sight.

So even if you separate out "Character (MLP)" from "Character (FF)", and "Episode (MLP)" from "Episode (FF)", you're still stuck with the question of how to moderate and support the show given that the staff doesn't watch the show?

!https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/filly/images/9/95/PrincessSparkle.jpg!

Is that Princess Sparkle? Or a fan artist's take on Princess Celestia as a Unicorn? Or is this concept art from a leak of G5 proposals?

!http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u3k69oatQzI/UrET7oKlDFI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/hhUn3S7rEns/s1600/prussia_funtasia_by_sketchy_pony-d6w86lj.png!

You might think it's Pinkie Pie, but it's not. This is the one who likes cupcakes, and fun.

Just like the image of Princess Sparkle above, it you just uploaded that image to the site it could plausibly be a fan artist's interpretation of Pinkie Pie as a Prusian, but it's not. It's Bella, the pony who likes cupcakes and fun, as a Prusian. Totally not MLP. And totally not Pinkie Pie.

Here's one more. Is this a screencap from an episode of Filly Fantasia? Or is it concept art from a book about the show? Or is it fan art?

!http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/39800000/Alyssa-filly-funtasia-39877015-1600-1358.png!

If your answer was "ScreenCap", which episode it from? Who are the characters in this frame? Is this from an asset that is ok for us to host? Or is it from a book or is it a leaked asset from an unreleased episode that's going to result in trouble if we host it?

And is that a Parasprite? Or a Breezie? Are both the characters canon characters? Or is one or both of them an OC?

All of a sudden the robust and reasonably accurate tagging this site is built around stops working, and we're no longer able to answer simple questions like "is it ok for us to host this?"

With MLP we are able to moderate disputes and help answer questions that come up and to fix tagging mixups or mistakes, and we are able to be responsible for what assets we will and will not host, because we love the show and watch it and are involved in the community.

It's not just about how we would support two separate and unique namespaces in a single namespace, altough that is a big part of it. It's also about recognizing how much we benefit from, and are dependent upon, the enormous experience and expertise that our community and volunteers have with MLP.

I mean, I honestly can't answer half of the questions I asked about that last example image I used, and that's even after reading the freaking wiki page I found it on. I still don't know if that's from an episode, or it it is concept art, or if it's fan art. And I still don't know if that flying thing is supposed to be a FF version of a parasprite, a Breezie, or if it's that franchise's version of Spike.

I mean, heck - if I didn't know that image came from a FF wiki, I wouldn't have been surprised if someone told me it came from an ad for one of the new Tinkerbell movies. Or was concept art for an upcoming Disney movie. Or was from a children's book about fairy ponies and their pet dragonflies.
Reason: Tinkerbell Rules.
Edited by Derpy Whooves
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
"@Meow the Cat":/meta/filly-funtasia-images-pony-related-or-not/post/4271973#post_4271973

!https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/filly/images/9/95/PrincessSparkle.jpg!

!http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u3k69oatQzI/UrET7oKlDFI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/hhUn3S7rEns/s1600/prussia_funtasia_by_sketchy_pony-d6w86lj.png!

!http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/39800000/Alyssa-filly-funtasia-39877015-1600-1358.png!

No reason given
Edited by Derpy Whooves