Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

UnderwoodART
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Just Another Pink Pony
“Formalising” my suggestions from the Discord server:
Tag incompatibilities. For example, “gradient background” says that by definition it cannot also be a “simple background”, so adding ‘gradient’ would block/remove ‘simple’. This would be applied to any tags that are often misused or contradict one another, like rating tags, adding solo and duo, absurd res and low res, using ‘safe’ and any explicit tag, etc.
For the “derpibooru exclusive” tag to change the source input to “Derpibooru exclusive”. It has always bothered me that exclusive art is permanently marked with “not provided yet”.
And adding a +1 for tag markup for text (ie. >>pony or [[pony]]), instead of having to manually add links. If you’re fancy, you could even have it show the graphic tag and its number. This mainly benefits mods and tagging submissions, because when you’re adding 10+ tags to a post, the time to search and copy-paste addresses really adds up (and manually typing can lead to incorrect unicode).
JP
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
Tag incompatibilities. For example, “gradient background” says that by definition it cannot also be a “simple background”, so adding ‘gradient’ would block/remove ‘simple’. This would be applied to any tags that are often misused or contradict one another, like rating tags, adding solo and duo, absurd res and low res, using ‘safe’ and any explicit tag, etc.
I would love to see this. Many people seem to think that simple background is a some kind of default tag they have to add to everything they upload, regardless of what the background type actually is.
Unfortunately, this would complicate tagging too much, not to mention how complicated it would be to program (and those conflict/incompatibility rules have to be created first). We already have a problem with people only tagging the bare minimum (3-5 tags), and if the site prevents them from adding conflicting tags (even if the site is correct), they would stop uploading completely. They wouldn’t bother.
tag markup for text (ie. >>pony or [[pony]]), instead of having to manually add links.
Yep, Nth’ing this again.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@JP
Just how many images uploaded by those who only tag 3–5 tags wouldn’t be uploaded by someone else if that uploader got frustrated and left?
@UnderwoodART
Related to tag incompatibilities, mandate that images contain at least one species tag or the no pony tag.
@JP
That technically works but:
  1. Requires manual organization (creating a “notable Derpi comments” bookmark folder, etc) to stay manageable. Theoretically more powerful if you invest in the ecosystem, but massively less convenient.
  2. Doesn’t carry over between browser ecosystems (think of someone who uses Safari on their iPad and Chrome on the PC)
UnderwoodART
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Just Another Pink Pony
@Ponylooker
To answer the same question from Discord with the same answer:
It doesn’t count as ‘simple’ because it isn’t just one colour, according to the tag’s description. Besides, background colour is hardly a pressing tag people follow. If you really want to represent multiple backgrounds in a single piece, you could create a ‘composite background’ tag, or something.
But in my opinion, the answer would be to tag it with the background colour and gradient tags, then remove the automatically added simple background tag after (which the suggested incompatibility change would do, as the gradient tag would stop ‘simple’ from being added).
As I also said on Discord, limiting the ‘simple background’ tag exclusively to single colours is a silly distinction. As far as I’m concerned, a ‘simple background’ is anything without drawn details, putting backgrounds into three major categories: “simple” (abstract colours), “patterned” (abstract shapes), and… well, we don’t have a tag for drawn backgrounds, but “complex”. Gradient should be a sub-tag of simple like any of the colours.
Background Pony #0F89
For the “derpibooru exclusive” tag to change the source input to “Derpibooru exclusive”.
That’s a nice idea.
Tag incompatibilities.
Yes, I want this, too, but I suggest it interrupt the user with a prompt - I don’t think it could automatically remove tags.
For example, while something like gradient background vs. simple background is much more likely to have gradient background be correct instead of an accident, something like low res vs. absurd res doesn’t have a way to know which to keep. Even if it’s assumed that the most recently added tag undoes the tags already on the image, it just takes someone who doesn’t realize purple background is reserved for simple backgrounds to add it and strip the correct tags it used to have.
Also, in certain weird edge cases like screenshots of Derpibooru, it might still be useful to have conflicting tags, for example if a solo image’s thumbnail and a duo image’s thumbnail are in the screenshot.
(and those conflict/incompatibility rules have to be created first)
If site assistants already have to take time setting up descriptions explaining these tag rules, they could also add them to a list of tag issues.
Related to tag incompatibilities, mandate that images contain at least one species tag or the no pony tag.
Unfortunately, this doesn’t work in some cases like when the show introduces a new species that hasn’t yet been categorized. Although, I guess it could work with an arrangement like if it’s a fanmade species to allow it as long as original species is tagged, and if it’s from the show, something like new species or uncategorized species becomes a tag.
Even then, I find a lot of posts that are incompletely species-tagged, such as including griffon and then not tagging what the also-present pony is.
UnderwoodART
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Just Another Pink Pony
Also, in certain weird edge cases like screenshots of Derpibooru, it might still be useful to have conflicting tags, for example if a solo image’s thumbnail and a duo image’s thumbnail are in the screenshot.
I maintain that images should be tagged as a whole, not divided by its contents. If there was a screenshot of ‘solo’ and ‘duo’ art, neither should apply as there are now three individuals in the image (unless they are the same character).
When it comes to changing takes, it makes sense that adding ‘high res’ should replace ‘low res’, because you can only assume that people are making corrections, not making it worse. But if the uploader is adding both at the same time, there would need to be some kind of compatibility pop-up, yeah. I can see this pop-up also being useful for “did you mean ____?” when tagging. That’s all pretty advanced stuff, though.
UnderwoodART
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Just Another Pink Pony
New feature idea: Add a hidden “caption” section to the image, allowing people to fill in the text contents of the image, making its contents searchable on the site.
Searching for memes is almost impossible currently, unless you know the specific name of a temple/format, assuming that’s even tagged. Being able to search for the actual text present would allow for greater access to exploitables and reaction images, as well as improving accessibility for the visually impaired, and even have translation potential.
For example, >>1323474 is of the (now dated) “ART” reaction meme, but there is no “ART” meme tag. The only way to find this meme or other versions is to search for the iron giant and/or dean mccoppin, assuming you know the origin, and assuming you know the original character’s name (which I didn’t). Could I create an “art meme” tag? Sure, but this is far from the only example, and specifically labelled templates or memes are fairly rare. By having a searchable caption, all you would need to do is, for example, search caption:art or c:art (bad example since it’s just one word), or a separate tab like Tags, where you can input specifies search options for the word/caption/copy-pasta you want to find.
🐴
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Background Pony #0F89
Two reasons why griffon would be tagged but not pony:
  1. Legacy of when the show was 99% ponies-only (except for Spike) and a tag for pony would be redundant
  2. People who find a “pony” tag duplicative because they already tagged “unicorn” (or assumed it to be implied from the character tag)
@UnderwoodART
This may be a feature that the new higher-performing servers can unlock. Set some automated text recognition algorithms loose on the data set. https://findthatmeme.com/ uses a floatilla of decommissioned iPhones to search for memes by text recognition.
UnderwoodART
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Just Another Pink Pony
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
That’s certainly one way of doing it, but it wouldn’t cover handwritten text in comics or fancy fonts and such. Impact font memes could certainly be automated, but I was thinking more of a user submission process.
🐴
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
@UnderwoodART
Whatever algorithm Apple uses handles handwriting and distorted fancy fonts surprisingly well. Occasionally produces bizarre results because it matched on the title of a book in a background bookshelf.
Background Pony #0F89
New feature idea: Add a hidden “caption” section to the image, allowing people to fill in the text contents of the image, making its contents searchable on the site.
Yes, I’d like that, too. I’d probably call it “Transcript”, and it wouldn’t even have to be hidden (like, it could be presented as a tab you could click on aside from “Description”).
It’s something I’ve thought about from time to time…what would you do in the case of accidental misspellings? Or intentional misspellings (funetik aksent or lolspeak), or translations? I’d like verbatim, corrected-spelling, and translations to all be doable.
It’d also help in the cases where tags get phrased in the same way as memes, so you could tell between images with the word “mlem” on them vs. just that people like to use the “mlem” tag to identify licking.
Someone had asked for in-place-on-the-image translation boxes like other boorus have, and the reply said that’s not planned. However, I think simply an extra publicly-editable text area similar to the description would be enough.
🐴
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Background Pony #0F89
How to handle misspellings:
simple typos
Silently correct these in the transcription, unless it’s a transposition error that urines the whole post
intentional misspelling, a.k.a. lol speak
Call the raw transcription “English (dialect)” and then provide an opportunity for a clean English “translation” of the transcription
phonetic
Same as above but “English (phonetic)” as the base transcription’s language tag
<hr>
May I reiterate the importance of sparing a month or three of spare server downtime to run text recognition algorithms on the existing corpus of 3 million images to make this feature useful.
UnderwoodART
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Just Another Pink Pony
@Background Pony #0F89
As far as misspellings and such, I would put the raw text followed by clarification in brackets. So, “he went 2 (to) the shpo (shop)”, etc. This can also be applied to translations.
I also support the idea of overlaid translations, though I appreciate that’s an entire system to implement. A user-submitted transcript is no different from the description box, with the only extra work being search functionality.
There also needs to be a checkbox for confirming if an image has no text to transcribe, so you can search for images missing one to submit.
🐴
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
Is there a way to search+sort GIFs and videos by duration? I don’t see duration as a valid field in the search syntax documentation. I have a 3-second GIF that’s 19.1 MB and I’d like to benchmark it against comparable GIFs to see if there is additional compression I can do.
Alternatively, some automated way to download GIFs converted from MP4, WEBM, and other “traditional” video formats would be appreciated. GIFs seem to play better with browsers (especially phone browsers), letting you download them as images. The MP4 of the same GIF is under 6 MB. I’m not sure what the proper balance between storage space and CPU usage is for this site.
🐴
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
  1. Thank you. I’m reassured that 19.5 MB is not absurd for the file I wish to share.
  2. Sorting by file size is easy to find; is there a way to filter a search by size? NVM, just use size.lt:bytes
Background Pony #2A5F
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
Mobile Firefox lets me download WEBMs, no problem. If this truly is a 3 second video (as opposed to 5 frames spanning 3 seconds), then I’d say WEBM is the better choice.
Background Pony #2A5F
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
AFAIK Derpibooru does not support MP4 nor MKV, only GIF and WEBM.
This is of course problematic because sometimes the original format cannot be uploaded without reencoding into WEBM.
LemonDrop
Duckinator - Same nonsensical quacks in every pond
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

C++ Crazed
@Background Pony #2A5F
Pretty sure the reason for this is just unclear legal stuff (or that’s what I was told at some point). MP4 (or more specifically the H.264 codec commonly in MP4s and which may also be inside say a MKV container despite it being an open one) requires royalties to be paid if used on commercial services. Codecs like VP8 or 9 though on the other hand inside Webm are royalty-free so they can be used safely.
I’d imagine VP8/9 in a MKV container would be fine too but that’d require checking the actual codec and stuff which is just more work I guess compared to just storing it in a Webm container and only supporting that. Might be a nice thing for the site to support though in the future.
Background Pony #2A5F
@LemonDrop
Checking codecs would be nice. MP4 and MKV containers can hold various formats, but at least some of them either have patent grants or the patents have expired.
Is Derpibooru a commercial website? I thought it isn’t. AFAIK it’s not earning money for the owners and it’s not charging the visitors.
A quick search suggests that using h.264 for freely accessible content does not require paying:
Blissful690
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Violet Frost Fan
Another tagging feature we should include is a warning if the tag count (not including the rating tag) is 50 or over and should include the wall of tags tag.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide