Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

JP
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
You can bookmark comments and forum posts. See those “Link” links in every comment and post? Bookmark them in your browser and you’re done. Of course they break if the image is merged, but you can’t have everything.
ThisIsDashie

I strongly support a feature to hide individual comments. Some people can’t seem to follow the rules of not posting NSFW comments on safe pictures, and misusing the “spoiler” feature isn’t a good solution.
ThisIsDashie

@radpanic
I only see the offending phrases get covered up by moderators with spoilers instead of removed completely. And they don’t even do a good job at it since I’ve seen other NSFW comments immediately below that the moderator didn’t even notice. Hiding comments would be so much simpler and more effective.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@ThisIsDashie
As radpanic said, comments that break any rules ought be reported. A comment hiding feature will probably not become a thing for that reason.
ThisIsDashie

@saby
There’s dozens of comments I would want to hide, without a spoiler, I really have to report it every single time? What if the mod doesn’t agree that it’s worth hiding? Why can we hide pictures but not comments? What about comments that don’t break rules that I still want to hide because they are annoying?
PixelatedPony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Luna Best Princess
A feature to favorite artists (or tags in general if possible) specifically would be very much appreciated.
It would make keeping track of your favorite artists on here a lot easier and less tedious, since theres so many talented artists here its hard to keep track of them, especially the more niche ones, they can easily be overshadowed by the more popular artists if they don’t upload much.
You can make the argument that the watch tag feature does this but I find it to clog things up real fast, especially if you’re watching a bunch of tags at a time it just gets more convoluted from there.
Therefore I think this would be a good addition to the site.
Roxor
Artist -

Hide empty galleries in the gallery browser.
I’ve run into a fair few that when opened turn out to have zero images in them.
No, they’re not showing up empty because of my filters. When filters hide images the part up the top saying “A gallery by [user] containing 65 images, updated 5 months ago” still gives the total, and the bit down the bottom will say “Showing 1-32 of 42 total”. If there’s a mismatch between the two, I know something’s been hidden (as is the case with this fictitious example).
The galleries in question say “A gallery by [user] containing 0 images, updated 1 year ago.” up the top and “No results found” down the bottom.
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

On desktop, could the search bar at the top of the page be widened to fill more of the space to the right? It’s cumbersome to use when I have a long search, to the point where I prefer navigating to another page that has the bottom search bar.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Seconding that; the whole point of having separate desktop/mobile versions is to make the mobile as compact and efficiently arranged as possible, while desktop is assumed to have plenty of space to let individual elements be large enough to see at further than arm’s length. I already have to set Derpibooru at 150% view to make most of the text and clickables large enough to read without eyestrain.
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

@TexasUberAlles
For me, it’s just that my queries sometimes don’t fit in the shorter box without scrolling. Though I’m usually fine with the size of the UI, sometimes I zoom in for bigger thumbnails.
Yoshimon1
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

yay(){ yay|yay & };yay
@TexasUberAlles
@Litrojia
If you have a userstyle extension like Stylus, you can use something like this CSS as a workaround.
.header__input--search { max-width: 46vw; width: 46vw; }
large
This makes the search bar take up 46% of your viewport/window’s width. Perfectly fills the empty space on my screen, at least, though it gets a bit glitchy with the other header objects when resizing the window.
JP
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
A “taggings” page that lists all tagging activity in the last 24-48 hours, like Comments. Searchable by username (it also should be possible to show just anon activity), by type (add/remove) and maybe by tag name. It would look like any tag history page, but it shows the history for all images.
Derpi has some “hidden” pages, like the open duplicate reports page that aren’t linked to anywhere. But I’m not aware of this kind of page existing. IIRC there was an IRC channel that listed these in real-time, don’t know if it still exists. But such a page would be wonderful for catching tag vandals.
Roxor
Artist -

Automatic conversion of image links in forum posts and comments to the onsite equivalent, where applicable.
I imagine this would work as a routine that looks through a post’s text for offsite images, then checks the URL for whether it’s hosted on derpibooru, and if so, converts it to the equivalent onsite image link notation.
For example, this:
![](https://derpicdn.net/img/2012/1/15/290/medium.jpg)
would get converted to this:
>>290p
giving a proper filterable image instead of the unfilterable one of the first version.
I’m sure pretty-much all examples of this are just people not knowing the onsite image syntax, but the results are rather annoying when you filter stuff that’s SFW, like alicorn twilight.
JP
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
Two things:
  1. The site should visibly indicate reported content (perhaps to only verified users, so that spammers won’t see we’re watching them?), so that it won’t get reported multiple times, saving precious report slots.
  2. There should be an “official” way to attaching multiple posts/comments/images/etc. to a single report, instead of just linking to them in the message body. Combined with item 1, reporting all those “pinkie fart” and “not even…” spam comments would be a lot easier. (This would also partially alleviate the annoying Markdown parser bug that causes fragments to be lost from absolute URLs, since the URLs would no longer be listed in a Markdown-enabled box.)
Awkward Segway
Babysitter Trixie - For Patreon supporters
Twilight Sparkle - For Patreon supporters
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Emerald - For users who have donated to the site
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Platinum Supporter - Platinum Patron
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

OG Pippsqueak
It would be nice if either:
  1. The “Default” theme synced with either the browser or system theme (behaved the way the site theme behaves when you’re not signed in) and you added a “Light” theme option which is the same as what the “Default” theme currently is, or
  2. You added a new theme (“System” or something like that) that changed between the “Default” and “Dark” themes depending on the browser or system theme.
Basically, I’m asking for a way for the site to automatically change between a light and dark theme depending on what the system or browser theme is, since I have my mobile devices automatically change from a light theme during the day to a dark theme at night. The site theme changes like that automatically if you’re not signed into it, so there should be a way for you to add an option for users to do that when they’re signed in.
Posted Report
Background Pony #0F89
I’m surprised that there doesn’t seem to be a way to search the forums for topics. You can do a post search with topic_position:0, and you can search for title, author, date, and forum, but the results are presented as the posts themselves without information like reply count or most recent reply - furthermore, there’s no way to query by those topic-centric attributes. Those attributes are returned by the API but there’s no way to query by them except for getting all results and filtering afterward.
So, feature request for both a search UI and corresponding API for forum topic results.
Posted Report
LemonDrop
Duckinator - Same nonsensical quacks in every pond
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Silver Bit -

C++ Crazed
With the increase of AI generated imagery I think it could potentially be useful for people to annotate these images to describe how they were generated as that is essentially the “source” when it comes to such things. Things like the model used can probably just be tagged like it is right now, but it’d be nice if there was an optional field or something for the prompt string, kinda like the image source URL for images. Right now people are mostly putting the prompt in the description which works fine I guess so it might not need any change, but it might just encourage people to share the prompt if a specific field was given for it rather than just forgetting that is a thing they can do.
Might not be that important though for the time being until a point where that sort of thing becomes more commonplace, but just thought I’d mention it.
Posted Report
Background Pony #2A5F
@LemonDrop
I agree that people should post prompts for simple generated images with no editing, but more and more of machine learning generated images are done with multiple steps, inpainting, outpainting, manual touch-ups, etc. This means they aren’t reproducible. The current consensus seems to be that these images still do not contain sufficient creative contribution from a human to be tagged machine learning assisted.
Posted Report
kst3xh
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Lurking Artist
Might I suggest an update to the “Sort By [OPTION]” section for an additional option of “Sort by [RECENT FAVES/UPVOTES]”? Details behind the suggestion available upon request with sources provided
Posted Report
Background Pony #0F89
You know that thumbnail bar overlay that says things like “WEBM”, “Thumbnails not yet generated”, or identifying the tag that caused a pic to be spoilered? Those could be turned into a customizable feature of filters. A list of tags that generate the overlay bar - not causing things to get spoilered - just to convey some information faster than hovering the thumbnail and scrutinizing the tooltip.
Barring that, I propose that edit and machine learning generated be added as overlays.
(I am currently using custom CSS to achieve this feature.)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide