Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

deactivatedc22c3c
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Artist -

@Background Pony #2C2F  
I thought about that all day. Don’t know if it would be possible but worth a look into.

A filter that hides the more political and controversial stuff from all users unless they add it to their current filter if they want to see the related images (tick box maybe?). On the filter there should be a detailed description of the filter and the content it hides, a trigger warning for those who decide to remove it and something that asks if you are sure, that way the site cant be blamed if someone removes it and sees the more political / triggering stuff.

I think it should be on by default and a one time “free” access (if you put the filter back on, you cant turn it back off unless you talk to a mod or something).

Certain tags can be on the list of controversial and triggering content so that the images are hidden, but I think there would need to be rules in place when adding, changing or removing tags in this filter. Maybe trusted members?

You could also have a feature that allows you to have the filter active permanently so you will never be able to see such content and you cant remove the filter. Maybe have this active for all new users?

That’s as far as I have thought of it. I have no idea if its possible but its a step in a direction that could be good for both those who want censorship and those who don’t mind the more controversial stuff. I think I’m being too ambitious though.

It can be pretty easy to forget about the filters (and how to hide tags), so what about a message for newcomers that explains it all to them nice and clearly.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

@SerenePony  
The default filter already spoilers communism, drama, politics, and vulgar, and hides drama bait, forced meme, nazi, not pony related, and racism; that seems to work pretty well for most of the site’s casual users who don’t want to make an account. This is only a problem because so many of the people screaming “JUST USE FILTERS!!!” from behind a statue of a Confederate general aren’t following their own advice; or, y’know, just going back to 4chan where they can do whatever they want instead of coming here and trying to turn this place into 4.1chan like a bunch of politically active Export Californians.
deactivatedc22c3c
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Artist -

@TexasUberAlles  
I think that’s where the problem lies, if a user is using the default, normally you’d click on something marked as spoiler out of curiosity (might just be my case but you never know), And once you have an account ans you put your filter on everything, it’s pretty much a free for all until you figure out how / are able to hide tags you don’t like. That’s why I thought if they added a filter on top to hide the more controversial or triggering stuff, least it adds another layer of protection.  
In a way, I suppose both parties win.
TexasUberAlles
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

If “hover to see” isn’t the default on spoilered images, it really should be; that way anyone prone to peeking at the sausage-making equipment isn’t being taken directly to a fresh new argument.
Officer Hotpants
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Literally3HitlersInACoat
@SerenePony  
I don’t understand this argument about “figuring out” how to hide tags that I’ve seen here and there. The moment you hover over a tag, you get a menu with options to watch, spoiler or hide that tag.

EDIT: Excuse me. You get an option to watch or filter with the “everything” filter. Point remains, though.
deactivatedc22c3c
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Officer Hotpants  
I’m looking at it in the eyes of someone who has just created an account here and still has yet to learn the about how to use the tags and filtering system. Help for newcomers I suppose.

The real subject for me was changes to the filtering system to hide the more controversial stuff for people who may get triggered by it, so that there is no repeat of what happened before. Ways to have it so that people can look at content freely, but the censoring is there by default, which you can remove. Kinda like google safe search or something.

I’m just throwing out ideas and seeing what could work if they wanted to make some changes.
deactivatedc22c3c
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Barhandar  
That is true, but what about the everything filter? I’m guessing the majority of us use it, then we hide things as we go.  
That’s when I thought would it be a good idea to have another filter like everything but with all the controversial stuff hidden?  
Even something you could “tick” so that it’s hidden, like a filter on a filter?  
Something the site could do to show that something has been done in response.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@SerenePony  
If you use everything filter (switch from “Default” to any other filter, really), you assume personal responsibility for what content you see. If you decide you don’t want to see some of that content, create a copy (Filters -> Everything -> Copy and Customize) and modify it to your liking.

It is irresponsible and, in fact, rather infantilizing (“you can’t take care of yourself”) to add more filters on top of filters. The edge of reasonable reaction would be adding yet another staff-maintained filter that is a Default with more content blocked.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

(twi|pony)booru.org
@SerenePony  
Noooot quite, I guess the staff assumed it’s common sense (erroneously). The actual wording on filters page refers to just the legality, not responsibility.  
By changing away from the default filters, you accept you are legally permitted to view this content in your jurisdiction. If in doubt, stick with the recommended default filters.

though in this day and age people could go off over anything.
They could, sure. It still doesn’t make it the site’s responsibility to take care of those people and their feelings.

P.S. More important part is that Derpi provides the tools necessary for people to assume responsibility over what they see. Many - majority, even - of other sites don’t and for these it’s a legitimate complaint.
deactivatedc22c3c
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Barhandar  
Read through it myself, now I’m wondering if everyone else read this before complaining about the site.  
I guess the assumption of common sense is out the window. What about a more detailed disclaimer? Would that be a good idea?

You’re right there, and they can’t police every image uploaded.

It’s a shame really, it looks like the site took a blow when the racism/Nazi issue came to light. I don’t want this site going downhill.
Barhandar

(twi|pony)booru.org
Read through it myself, now I’m wondering if everyone else read this before complaining about the site.

Given the usual complaints (e.g. izzy’s “filters won’t work if those who post don’t tag correctly”), they didn’t and are assuming Derpi’s tagging works like tagging on all other sites.  
And tagging on literally all other sites is unbelievably bad in comparison. Tags stuffed into some tiny corner of the UI, tags only modifiable by uploader, no standardisation whatsoever, search that lumps tags and text together or only works on limited quantity of tags, et cetera.  
I guess the assumption of common sense is out the window. What about a more detailed disclaimer? Would that be a good idea?
I think so, yeah. Mention personal responsibility so that anyone complaining can be pointed at filters and rule 4.
deactivatedc22c3c
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Barhandar  
Thats what I kinda like about this site, not only can you tag your own content, but others can help too, its like a true sense of community. So, maybe the disclaimer and an easier access to the site rules.

Cover the personal responsibility, how to set up your own filter, access to site rules.

If the site is well covered, why are people even complaining about the controversial content if its been here for ages, people didn’t seen to care so much before, and I’m sure the bigger artists have filtered that content out ages ago (if they had accounts).
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
Danbooru isn’t so bad with tags. It limits you to 2 tags a search unless you pay for dubious content and it shunts all the tags to the left in plaintext, but it’s otherwise fairly decent. If anything, it’s more an obvious prototype when put next to Derpibooru than bad…
TexasUberAlles

…Am I just sleep-deprived, or did the /filters page use to show the number of users currently using those filters? I swear there was a “In use by #### users” number at some point.
Background Pony #5A95
A filter that hides the more political and controversial stuff from all users unless they add it to their current filter if they want to see the related images (tick box maybe?). On the filter there should be a detailed description of the filter and the content it hides
….
Certain tags can be on the list of controversial and triggering content so that the images are hidden, but I think there would need to be rules in place when adding, changing or removing tags in this filter.
The tagging system can already achieve this, via its implication system - like if the tag “united states” also added the tag “politics” automatically, when used (it doesn’t, btw.)

But, damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Proponents of ideologies with a “you’re with us or you’re against us” mentality would make the claim that it’s morally indefensible to not let your site promote their ideology to everbody - or would claim that any “controversy” or high-moderation-required topics are being brigaded by opponents attempting to push it into hiding.

Here’s what I wrote before realizing the above:

Right now, the “politics” tag is described as “The art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies” (lol) but because people find even the idea whether a subject is “political” or not to be itself a divisive subject (eg. are human rights “politics”? are pandemic precautions “politics”?) I’d propose instead there be a tag named “hot button issues” for everything that invites passionate conflict. Therefore, tags’ inclusion in the list is not a value judgement nor could it be claimed that their inclusion is in any way equating them other than for users’ interaction with them.

It should be hidden by default, not spoilered.

I would include: politics, coronavirus, blm, pride flag, [identity] pride, rape, foalcon, slur, mouthpiece, [any political ideology except in unedited screencaps], racism, 2019 hong kong protests, [most politicians’ names]…  
But, for example, if we’re lucky 5 years from now coronavirus could be taken off the list because it’s not a hot topic anymore.

Another approach, more work for the mods but also more factually justifiable, would be to generate a report on the sum of tags for posts requiring moderator action (comment deletion, “bad tagging” reports requiring further action, comment/tag locking) which would hopefully make evidence for “administratively problematic tags”. Of course common sense would have to be applied (ie. “safe”, “questionable”, etc. would be irrelevant but highly represented.)

The default filter already spoilers communism, drama, politics, and vulgar, and hides drama bait, forced meme, nazi, not pony related, and racism; that seems to work pretty well for most of the site’s casual users who don’t want to make an account. This is only a problem because so many of the people screaming “JUST USE FILTERS!!!” aren’t following their own advice; or, y’know, just going back to other websites where they can do whatever they want.
Fixed your post to not have ad-hominems.

Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide