Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
In forum posts, could images within quote tags be automagically rendered as thumbnails please? Would make it much less aggravating to scroll past multiple short responses to an image post if they weren’t taking up ALL the space with the quoted large previews. Since it’s a quote-reply, people reading the thread have likely already seen the original and recognise it, and if not, there’s the link to the original post and the actual image too.
Perelka
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Artist -

growing flowers
I always wonder. Shouldn’t there be Lyra Heartstrings in Quick Tags under Background Ponies section?  
She’s like one of the most popular ones. Or am I missing something from site’s history?
radpanic
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

never big enough
Any chance you can get the image scraper to work with pillowfort.social links, like it currently does for twitter and tumblr links?
byte[]
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
@radpanic  
Is there a way to quickly identify a mastodon-based website? Do the ones running the official client have an open read API that doesn’t need signup to use?
radpanic
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Non-Fungible Trixie -

never big enough
@radpanic
Is there a way to quickly identify a mastodon-based website?

I don’t know about the html, but it seems all links to individual Pillowfort posts, regardless of which account posts them, follow the format https://www.pillowfort.social/posts/1341978 where all that changes is the number after “posts/”.

Do the ones running the official client have an open read API that doesn’t need signup to use?

I can’t find info about any Pillowfort API by google searching. (I mean, there’s an API authentication library on Github called Pillowfort, but seems completely unrelated to the Pillowfort social media platform and in any case hasn’t been supported for 4 years…) There’s info to contact the Pillowfort staff near the top of their FAQ page. I imagine they’d respond more favorably to API requests from site staff than from a joe shmoe like me.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@byte[]  
ActivityPub is probably where you’d want to look up for a common API. It should work with Mastodon, Pleroma, PixelFed, etc…

That said, there’s no guarantee that the software in use actually follows the spec (looking at you, Masto)
Brokedownandmadeone
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we're all equal here!

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
Went to look at the default filter, and noticed that you have a number of the pony life eps on there. Why not just add to complex spoiler spoiler:pony life s*e*? Though I would’ve thought the base spoiler:my little pony: pony life would’ve covered it.
Background Pony #9CC4
Dont worry @Background Pony #C500 ill do it for you. Its a good idea.

Feature Name  
Pools  
Summary  
Pools are publicly editable (wiki-like) Galleries that show special navigation bar in image page of each image.  
Goal  
Feature parity with danbooru-like boorus. Feature is aimed towards comic artists and comic uploaders, so they could upload without having to manually link pages in the description.  
Pools are for comics, image series, and other sequential art. They provide easy navigation between pages, and a highly visible index. Pools are NOT aimed for collection of subjectively picked art, we have Galleries for that.  
Description  
Pools can be created by anyone, and edited by anyone.  
Pools conItain images, in specific order (that can be rearranged by anyone).  
Each image page of image that’s added to the pool will have navigation panel displayed:  
\[first prev PoolName next last\]  
Each of those are links. First and Last links to first and last image in the pool. Prev and Next links to previous and next image, relative to current image (pool order apply). PoolName is PoolsI’s title and links to pool page containing ordered list of all images.  
One image can be in multiple pools (but it’s best to limit max number of pools per image to 2-4, to prevent panel creep).

Q&A:  
Why not just use Galleries as-it-is?  
Because Galleries are equivalent of “Favorite Folders” from DeviantArt. They’re nice, but do not allow public editing and do not display navigation panel. A new type of Gallery (Pool) need to be created.

Why not just use “series:*” or “comic:*” tags?  
Pools and tags serve different purposes. Tags can’t have specific order, so user can’t add page between page 3 and page 4 (which happens quite often in sponsored comics, or when artist adds covers for chapters). Plus they still do not have navigation panel.

Why not just link first/prev/next/last in the description?  
Poor maintainability for prev/next buttons (you have to keep track of three descriptions on three pages every time you upload), and utter impracticality for last button (you have to edit every single page). Also, description is not editable by anyone, so you’re mainly stuck with it.

But Philomena already have navigation buttons back/next!  
Those are not comic navigation buttons, those are search query (or global if navigated not from search page) navigation buttons. e621 also have them, separate from pool navigation panel.

But Derpibooru was fine without Pools for 8 years, why it need them now?  
With a new head of administration, new developers, with aim to listen to the needs of artists and userbase, this would be a nice gesture to show that you’re actually working on a new features that’s been requested by userbase. It will be tough at the beginning, but when initial Pool-adding spree dies down, it wouldn’t be much different to moderate than tags.  
→ Other  
e621 and danbooru-based sites have this feature. You can use Galleries as a base for making Pools.  
danbooru-based sites call Pools as “purple-colored pools”, and call Galleries as “blue-colored pools”. Do not confuse them.
Officer Hotpants
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Literally3HitlersInACoat
@Background Pony #9CC4  
I’ve wondered about that for a while. I would definitely be useful. I think albums are supposed to cover to some extent but I don’t know how well they work for that purpose (honestly I forget that they exist most of the time).
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Background Pony #9CC4  
One other reason for “why not just use comic:something tags?”: those tags often feature edits and zoomed-in crops of specific panels (or colored alternate edits by another artist). series:whatever tags are used in practice as a bucket for anything related to that comic. A pool should remain strictly on-topic.
xbi
Da Magicks! - Merited Fine Arts badge with only their own art
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I want to suggest something to make filtering of tags more simple and allow users more often use the advice “don’t whine just filter it”.  
Now filtering is not so easy for users who try to use it for the first time.

It requires: 1) to be registered on the site 2) to be always be logged in 3) when used first time, the filter creation is not very intuitive, it requires much more actions than just “click tag and click block in the menu”. Because instead editing user default filter it tries to edit global site default filter, and site is asking to create new filter instead automated transparent creation of the user first filter.

Yes, after the first filter setup it is easy to add new tags. But creation of the filter for the first time is a bit complicated. Isn’t very much complicated, but is not trivial too.

Suggestion:  
Do some UX improvement in creation of the first filter for users unexperienced with filters.

Put some testing on real life people asking them to filter tag, and test what part of them managed to create filter in few seconds, not minutes.  
Maybe it is possible to create first filter automatically without redirecting to filter creation interface with wall of text and button located somewhere in the middle.

User clicked ‘filter’ on tag? Add to it current filter. The current filter is global not editable? Switch to users’s default filter. There is no user’s default filter? Create it from the users’s current filter, and switch.

User is not registered? Ask them to login/register, or give the option to add tag filter to cookies. (can be implemented totally independetly from registered users or not implemented at all)

Test the new filter interface on random persons who haven’t used derpibooru before (ask any person at random non-pony Discord server or better in some convention IRL to watch their actions and UX problems with eyes IRL).

Also maybe it is better to use words ‘block this tag’ in the tag menu. Because word ‘filter’ is a bit ambigous for people who are not familiar with filtering at derpibooru and trying to use it for the first time.

Sorry for verbosity, I tried to focus on the importance about simplilifing UX behavior and testing to make advices ‘stop whining, just filter it’ more working. Also sorry for bad Enlish, this makes me sometimes to write something looking non-polite or too vague/verbose.
xbi
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

Suggestion about new type of image deletion:

Delete (hide) only the image, but keep everything else. Most important, keep entries in favorites/upvote/galleries/tag searches.  
Let the artist to keep the art under DNP, but not user faves of image number id’s, comments, tags, link to original blog, etc. The art still can be accessible at artist site/blog (or not accessible at their will).  
Possibly add rule that disallow in comments direct one-click linking or too straigforward instructions to get deleted art. Possibly lock comments by default with possible opt-out.  
Possibly add public option in search interface to hide/show deleted images in search results.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
@xbi  
I second this suggestion. There’s no reason to make an automated process of deleting discussion on deleted images. If there was no discussion or all (spam, etc…) the comments we’re removed for violating rules (or comments telling off those who break Rule 0), then do a full delete.
xbi
Artist -

@PUBLIQclopAccountant  
It is also usefull to keep links to original artist’s post on other site. Or just keep note “i have this in my faves, now I must search this picture in other places”.  
I had already experienced situtation mods deleted picture I kept in faves. I searched it for an hour trying to change search tags, and finally discover it was just removed from from derpibooru.  
Keeping the post in faves with deleted picture data could help don’t waste the hour. I could just stop trying useless searches or go directly to the artist’s site.
NightStalker

@xbi  
Add my support as well. The mere prospect of losing so much art that’s in my favs is very frustrating and it would be very helpful to see what once was there when it no longer is.

I would say to just go ahead and lock comments immediately, though. No need to have a discussion on something that’s gone and removed, there’s really not much merit to it in the first place, so just leave the existing data besides the image itself.
Brokedownandmadeone
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
@PUBLIQclopAccountant  
@NightStalker  
This would cause a further issue of transparency. It wouldn’t help at all, and would likely cause further issues down the line.

@xbi  
Delete (hide) only the image, but keep everything else. Most important, keep entries in favorites/upvote/galleries/tag searches.
Let the artist to keep the art under DNP, but not user faves of image number id’s, comments, tags, link to original blog, etc. The art still can be accessible at artist site/blog (or not accessible at their will).
@xbi  
Keeping the post in faves with deleted picture data could help don’t waste the hour. I could just stop trying useless searches or go directly to the artist’s site.
This part I actually agree with. There should be an option for an artist to have separate degrees of DNP on this site, instead of a full-on purge, needing to pick individual pieces, or nothing.

A system that could be put in place similar to what xbi mentioned, would be to have a DNP level that allows an artist to keep up everything but the image(s) itself taken down, and the page “locked” to edits (missing tags could be reported through an “alt rule 2” selection, to show a differentiation for locked images). It could even have a toggleable/searchable option for status:deleted in searches, similar to other boorus. (danbooru is one such example) So in the case that the artist still wants to have their art seen elsewhere, but doesn’t want the art re-hosted here for some reason, can have that option available.
Brokedownandmadeone
Non-Fungible Trixie -

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
@CruFox  
I hardly use e621, so I wasn’t aware they displayed any of that in places like pools. I’ve only ever seen the solo pages. Do they do that on searches/can you search through deleted ones yet?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide