Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

Background Pony #6037
Suggestion: add and option to show the images that are hidden by the current filter (basically, reversed filter). Will be great to check if the filter doesn’t hide anything you wouldn’t want to hide.
Mad Black
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Speaking Fancy - For helping with translations
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Suggestion: add and option to show the images that are hidden by the current filter (basically, reversed filter). Will be great to check if the filter doesn’t hide anything you wouldn’t want to hide.

You can do a search with your filter in show everything to check it.
softland

@derpy727  
Old thread but  
Since cloudflare is a MitM service you can make a Whirlpool hash if you want it doesn’t change a thing if the hash isn’t PGP signed.  
If cloudflare can change an image for “optimization” then they can do it for anything (lets say for example an undiscovered vulnerability like it happened a few months ago with SVG files).  
My two cents on an enormous thread that I haven’t read entirely ^^
PlanetKiller
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

I'd "pet" that.
Joey informed me of this place, and I have a suggestion. dude might be nice/useful

I’d like a way to sort the tag list. Preferably a list of constantly updating character tags on this site without going through 1,115 pages or until the character tags run out (~page 225). Maybe sort them by date added as well so new characters would appear on the top.

Tl;DR I just want to view tags of a specific type in the tag list; like cannon characters.
Mad Black

I have a little problem with the thumbnail size of comics, or rather that I often can not tell in which language they are before I click on it. I mean I could make a complex filter the languages I don’t speak, but frankly I don’t want to do that, since there is always the possibility that there is only a word or phrase in that language and it gets tagged with it, and then hidden away. Also there are a lot of language I would have to put in said filter.  
So I wonder, is it possible to highlight languages tags on the thumbnails, either with the tagname or a little flag. Or maybe to zoom in a bit on the comics?

If not, and I have to make a filter, than a reversed filter probably would work better with the languages I do understand. Problem with that is, english isn’t tagged very often, it basically doesn’t exist as an actual useful tag.
Wesley Foxx
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

The Fluffiest
@Mad Black  
The addition frustration comes when there are multiple languages you don’t speak and frustrate you when you click on a thing only to be greeted with a face full of untranslated gibberish, because if you use a complex filter, it won’t tell you an image is spoilered because it’s spanish, or whatever. That was pretty much the original reason I first started using my filter, because I was so sick of seeing cute stuff from Shinta Girl and whatnot and being frustrated when I can’t read any of it.
Mad Black

@Mad Black
The addition frustration comes when there are multiple languages you don’t speak and frustrate you when you click on a thing only to be greeted with a face full of untranslated gibberish, because if you use a complex filter, it won’t tell you an image is spoilered because it’s spanish, or whatever. That was pretty much the original reason I first started using my filter, because I was so sick of seeing cute stuff from Shinta Girl and whatnot and being frustrated when I can’t read any of it.

Exactly what I mean.
derpy727

@derpy727
like it happened a few months ago with SVG files

Interesting. Where can I read about it? Speaking of the hashes, yeah, I came to realise that uploaded file SHA is probably the best thing to have for the minimum amount of effort.
softland

@softland
Interesting. Where can I read about it?

I had a different memory from that vulnerability so besides the SVG vulnerability it’s out of context, still interesting tho.  
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1321066

@derpy727  
@softland
I came to realise that uploaded file SHA is probably the best thing to have for the minimum amount of effort.

Remember that SHA1 is deprecated so now it’s recommend to use at least sha256 (or sha512 or Whirlpool).
derpy727

@softland  
I see.

@derpy727
Remember that SHA1 is deprecated so now it’s recommend to use at least sha256 (or sha512 or Whirlpool).

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. The hash algorithm is not something I can choose. It’s chosen by Derpibooru guys and at present they provide SHA512 hashes. And since they probably don’t keep the original uploaded images, they’re unable to switch ever. You might want to read our old discussion in a bit more detail, if you have time to waste. :)
softland

You might want to read our old discussion in a bit more detail, if you have time to waste. :)

That’s why I precised at the beginning “that I haven’t read entirely ^^”  
Thanks for the detail sad to see that the original files are probably lost if there’s no backup from the original poster.

@The Smiling Pony  
@derpy727
We do keep the originals; if you hit the DL button on an image, you’re getting the file that was uploaded, not the optimized version we display on the image page.

@byte[]  
@The Smiling Pony
No, the originals are optimized away.

So is there any original hash or image before cloudflare tampers with the standart SSL handshake and alter the file ?
derpy727

So is there any original hash or image before Cloudflare tampers with the standart SSL handshake and alter the file ?

No, the only SHA provided is that of the uploaded file. Derpibooru provides no SHA for either Derpibooru-optimised or Cloudflare-optimised variants of the image. Providing the latter would be hard and pointless, since Cloudflare could change its optimisation without notice. And the former would likely be just pointless due to Cloudflare interference anyway.

Though if the Download button actually bypasses Cloudflare optimisation, having the SHA of the Derpibooru-optimised variant might be actually useful, assuming no further optimisation re-runs on them are done on the server, so that the SHA are valid long-term. Then, whether one downloaded an image from the source or from Derpibooru itself with Download button, it could be found on Derpibooru with at most two queries on respective SHA fields (or rather just one OR query on both fields).

Though I’m not sure the benefit is worth the required additional DB storage in the eyes of Derpibooru guys. Somehow I get the impression I’m the only weird pone that ever tried searching by SHA on Derpibooru.
softland

Since Cloudflare could change its optimisation without notice.

Isn’t this a problem ?

@derpy727  
Though if the Download button actually bypasses Cloudflare optimisation, having the SHA of the Derpibooru-optimised variant might be actually useful, assuming no further optimisation re-runs on them are done on the server, so that the SHA are valid long-term. Then, whether one downloaded an image from the source or from Derpibooru itself with Download button, it could be found on Derpibooru with at most two queries on respective SHA fields (or rather just one OR query on both fields).

That would be nice.

@derpy727  
Though I’m not sure the benefit is worth the required additional DB storage in the eyes of Derpibooru guys.

Dito.  
Seems like a lot of duplicates.

@derpy727  
Somehow I get the impression I’m the only weird pone that ever tried searching by SHA on Derpibooru.

Weird ? na  
We are just part of the small group of people who know a bit about computing. ¯*(ツ)*/¯
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
To be entirely honest, the only reason we use SHA1/SHA512 hashing is to just prevent 100% identical uploads, such as two people uploading the same image from the same source. It’s not being used for any kinda security, integrity checking, etc. It’s just our first-step method of image deduplication.

We really don’t have a reason to change them either. The existing hashing algorithm does it’s job very well, and since it only affects site organization, there’s not really any benefit to using something different.
Angrybrony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

🔥Sunset is best girl🔥
i was wondering if you if the next update could move the “post anonymously” button could be moved over ferther so poeple don’t press it by accident.
derpy727

To be entirely honest, the only reason we use SHA1/SHA512 hashing is to just prevent 100% identical uploads, such as two people uploading the same image from the same source.

Yeah, I’ve been told the same the last time and it was the first thing I suspected myself anyway. Though I did find an example of duplicate identical SHA 4-year-old submissions then, and it seems they’re still not deduped, maybe because comment/rating/tag merging or whatever is needed to do it after they slipped past the dup check, which probably wasn’t on 4 years ago, just isn’t worth it.

We really don’t have a reason to change them either. The existing hashing algorithm does it’s job very well, and since it only affects site organization, there’s not really any benefit to using something different.

Well, it can also be used in user queries, and I’ve even seen a Derpibooru image grabber which (erroneously) tries to use it for download integrity checking, so it’s not quite only the site organization that is affected by it. But for all those purposes almost any hashing algorithm would work equally well indeed.

But I, at least, do not suggest changing the hashing algorithm. I’m just entertaining the possibility of extending the utility of by-SHA queries as an alternative to the more computation-heavy reverse image search.

I’m not sure if my stats are representative in general, but of the collection of images I gathered from the internets ~1/5th could be found on Derpibooru by SHA (meaning they came unmangled from the same source they came to Derpibooru from), and another ~1/5th appears to be at some time downloaded from Derpibooru, judging by the filename format, which means they probably could also be found by SHA, if Derpibooru allowed querying by SHAs of their optimized images. Maybe such images constitute more than a 1/5th, as filenames are often not preserved throughout their journey across imageboards.

The remainder of the images is likely mutilated by other sites’ optimizations, padded with garbage by imageboard-duplicate-check-avoidance scripts, or saved from Derpibooru via the right-click menu instead of the Download button, so nothing could be done about them, but being able to find almost a half of the images by SHA instead of having to upload them for reverse image search is nice.

Oh well, it all has been discussed the last time. I’m just explaining that old discussion to @softland, basically. Never mind me.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Tag-Bot
@Jinx  
+1 request for this.

[Though from what I’m told. If it returns, it would only be the dark green theme. As the lighter green one is pretty much just DA’s colors.]
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide