Viewing last 25 versions of post by Derpy Whooves in topic Explanation of update to Rule #0 for consistency and clarity especially in regards to racism

Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
"[@Northern":](/forums/meta/topics/explanation-of-update-to-rule-0-for-consistency-and-clarity-especially-in-regards-to-racism?post_id=4907888#post_4907888
)  
If we don't agree then we didn't reach consensus. With Rule #5 the image might be deleted if it's on the borderline. With Rule #0 it doesn't get deleted if there is no clear result. That's the process. And we're not training people on how to think - good grief. Have you never worked someplace where there was a new rule and everyone had to work with it to figure out how it worked? It's like you've never had a real job, where people had to work with something to figure out how it worked.

"

[
@CHurricane":](/forums/meta/topics/explanation-of-update-to-rule-0-for-consistency-and-clarity-especially-in-regards-to-racism?post_id=4907892#post_4907892
)  
Sometimes, saying what we mean is how we figure out what we think. And there's a long LONG long way between; "Ok, how does this work in practice" and "I have never seen a plane before".

[bq]

>
You(staff) have access to deleted pictures from the past [/bq]

Not with the new rule. We have to build a jurisprudence from when we can judge future cases. Normally only after a couple days with a new rule we all get it. This time it's taking longer, mainly because it's taking longer to actually build up a set of examples that didn't get questioned and reversed.

[bq]

>
take some of them and make a test[/bq]

That's great once the rule has been in use, and pretty much how we train new site assistants. But useless if the rule hasn't been used yet. And the votes aren't "press the yes or no button". They're "How about this one?" and then a one or two hour discussion ensues. In the end, we all figure out what we feel about images as a team, get a firmer feeling for how we are all interpreting the rule, and it's easier for someone to act knowing how such images generally are handled.

It's like going to a tradeshow with some new product. It's never been sold before, so all we know about it is what we've learned in developing and testing it and what the marketing team says. But once we start using it those stop being "I've heard that" and they become "This is what it does". Day one, everyone is waiting for the admins to say things so we can all hear the message. Usually after an hour of that someone else can step in and give the admin a break. This time it's taking longer to get the message down. I can tell you what we thought when we were developing the new rule, but no rubber survives contact with the road any more than any product survives contact with end users.
No reason given
Edited by Derpy Whooves
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
"@Northern":/forums/meta/topics/explanation-of-update-to-rule-0-for-consistency-and-clarity-especially-in-regards-to-racism?post_id=4907888#post_4907888
If we don't agree then we didn't reach consensus. With Rule #5 the image might be deleted if it's on the borderline. With Rule #0 it doesn't get deleted if there is no clear result. That's the process. And we're not training people on how to think - good grief. Have you never worked someplace where there was a new rule and everyone had to work with it to figure out how it worked? It's like you've never had a real job, where people had to work with something to figure out how it worked.

"@CHurricane":/forums/meta/topics/explanation-of-update-to-rule-0-for-consistency-and-clarity-especially-in-regards-to-racism?post_id=4907892#post_4907892
Sometimes, saying what we mean is how we figure out what we think. And there's a long LONG long way between; "Ok, how does this work in practice" and "I have never seen a plane before".

[bq]You(staff) have access to deleted pictures from the past [/bq]
Not with the new rule. We have to build a jurisprudence from when we can judge future cases. Normally only after a couple days with a new rule we all get it. This time it's taking longer, mainly because it's taking longer to actually build up a set of examples that didn't get questioned and reversed.

[bq]take some of them and make a test[/bq]
That's great once the rule has been in use, and pretty much how we train new site assistants. But useless if the rule hasn't been used yet. And the votes aren't "press the yes or no button". They're "How about this one?" and then a one or two hour discussion ensues. In the end, we all figure out what we feel about images as a team, get a firmer feeling for how we are all interpreting the rule, and it's easier for someone to act knowing how such images generally are handled.

It's like going to a tradeshow with some new product. It's never been sold before, so all we know about it is what we've learned in developing and testing it and what the marketing team says. But once we start using it those stop being "I've heard that" and they become "This is what it does". Day one, everyone is waiting for the admins to say things so we can all hear the message. Usually after an hour of that someone else can step in and give the admin a break. This time it's taking longer to get the message down.
No reason given
Edited by Derpy Whooves
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
"@Northern":/forums/meta/topics/explanation-of-update-to-rule-0-for-consistency-and-clarity-especially-in-regards-to-racism?post_id=4907888#post_4907888

"@CHurricane":/forums/meta/topics/explanation-of-update-to-rule-0-for-consistency-and-clarity-especially-in-regards-to-racism?post_id=4907892#post_4907892

That's great once the rule has been in use, and pretty much how we train new site assistants. But useless if the rule hasn't been used yet. And the votes aren't "press the yes or no button". They're "How about this one?" and then a one or two hour discussion ensues.
No reason given
Edited by Derpy Whooves
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
If we don't agree then we didn't reach consensus. That's the process. And we're not training people on how to think - good grief. Have you never worked someplace where there was a new rule and everyone had to work with it to figure out how it worked? It's like you've never had a real job, where people had to work with something to figure out how it worked.

That's great once the rule has been in use, band pretty much how we train new site assistants. But useless if the rule hasn't been used yet. And the votes aren't "press the yes or no button". They're "How about this one?" and then a one or two hour discussion ensues.
No reason given
Edited by Derpy Whooves