Downvoting/hiding feedback

Sparx
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

#115 Wassup Voltage!
@Lefty643  
I have been reading it.  
Got to page 10 with about  
22 For  
28 Against  
13 Iffy  
6 Don’t give a fuck

Now if if only I gave a damn to filter out the comments that were just people lamenting about being declawed or SJWs
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
how do artists, like me, will be able to know how unpopular your uploads might be so you can come up with improvements?

Legitimately curious: How were downvotes informing you of what needed to be improved before? I would think all they did was a vague “I don’t like it” but not actually helping you find what it was that needed to be improved. Rather leaving you in the dark trying different options/subjects/styles till you found one that didn’t get downvotes.

Am I wrong? I haven’t done much artwork myself, so I’m not fully in the same mindset. So I’m just trying to understand.
Background Pony #A12B
options two or three sound good. Absolutely hell to the no on the reddit system. That’d be going even further backward. Their system sucks.
ÄrkÿNóîd
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Question stuff and enjoy
Ok here’s a big hypothetical what if. I don’t know if it was brought up already. What if down voting was reinstituted BUT no longer anonymously? Like there was a list of upvoters, downvoters, and favoriters alike. Like there currently is with favorites. It’s easy to say “well that brands people” or something. Well… so does faving. Someone could || kink || shame someone for faving something they find cringey anyway.
Registered Anon
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Squirrel - Had a squirrel badge before it was cool
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Drama in the comments
It seems a lot of people, including artists, don’t want to see down votes go while some are okay with it. I’m neutral as I have no use for downvoting or hiding. The tag blacklist is sufficient for me. But that’s just my opinion.
Background Pony #A12B
@ice1517  
As another artist, downvotes tell me that there’s something about the image someone didn’t like, and working that out myself and trying again can be highly constructive. Now I only get positive numbers and no indications of anything. No one’s going to post “constructive” feedback in the comments. No one ever does that.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger

Tag-Bot
@Lefty643  
Slightly over 53 opinions within a few hours is not quite an accurate sample size when the userbase is in the hundreds of thousands.
davnov

The third option is the best by far. I like the hiding mechanism, but without downvotes discoverability of artwork with low upvotes has been destroyed. Shitposts overwhelmingly full the low-upvote section of derpibooru, and low-upvote art is impossible to find. Tldr: #3
Pause

World's Smallest Violin
1 or 2.

Downvotes were pointless.

Troll art doesn’t care about downvotes.

If people were going to dismiss you criticism then they wouldn’t care about downvotes either.

People who actually would grow from downvotes would grow better from actual comments with actual criticism.
DieselCrab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

#1 Rated Salesman1997
Either 1 or 3 would be better than getting rid of downvotes entirely. People should be able to make their opinions known, and if someone can’t handle the thought of their image being downvoted, that’s their problem, not ours.
RainbowDash69
Eden Shallowleaf - For supporting the site
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Emerald - For users who have donated to the site
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event

Visit Friendship Daily!
@ice1517  
Because they’re cute. I can edit a stolen base with mspaint and it still would get uovotes too if I gave it a cute smile. That doesn’t mean anything.
ÄrkÿNóîd
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Question stuff and enjoy
@hakirayleigh

Or alternatively it can make people strongly think about their vote one way or another. There shouldn’t thus be shame in down voting but by golly it should be thought out and justified IMO. That might make people think.
Background Pony #B4E7
@Marx  
You have no way of knowig who was abusing the system and who wasn’t.

The mods do though, and they can ban people for abusing that system.  
That would take more effort than just removing the system all together though.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: boop