Downvoting/hiding feedback

marenoodles
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

The downvotes provided feedback on how relatively good my art was
Personally, I searched quite a bit by negative scoring because there’s a lot of entertainment to be found in the worst of the worst

But the second option would still let you view/search/filter based on how many people hid a post. Assuming people hide in the same way that they downvote, you’d still be able to do all of that.
JeremyStorm
Artist - jeremystorm
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@Joey  
I just want to start by saying you’re a thousand times more respectful than TFP and you should handle ALL site posts from now on. I wouldn’t have been anywhere near as upset in the last thread if it hadn’t been for his behavior.

Anyway, more on topic, I LOVE the idea of being able to hide an image without having to use tags. There are so many times where I find an image I hate with a passion, but it’s not necessarily because of anything that I can pin down to a specific tag. For example, I find a fetish pic that I don’t like, but I don’t want to hide that fetish and I don’t dislike the artist’s other work. This is a fantastic addition.

But removing downvoting entirely promotes a mindset on the site that I can’t approve of. This site already discourages dissenting opinions enough as it is, further reinforcing it makes it so you might as well throw away the ability to comment and vote entirely.

In the end, I think I would be okay with any of the three options currently presented. I would like the second the least, but I’d live with it fairly contentedly.
Background Pony #72AD
If it isn’t too much work, maybe a “suggested filter” section based on downvotes? The system could look at tags of images downvoted by a user, and suggest tags to be filtered, and then a button to just add them to their default.

It should require a minimum number of downvoted images with a tag(5__?), and require a high percentage(75%__?).

More complex filters with more in depth analysis of the downvotes would be nice, especially if it could be combined with upvotes to see what tags the user also likes, and maybe make more complex auto filters(e.g. filter X, but not if Y is also tagged). This would come at a CPU/db hits cost of course, and I’m not sure how much overhead that would cost the site.

Just a thought.

Edit Adding some thoughts as to why I think this would help.

I think a major reason for not using filters is that they are quite simply, too hard to use effectively for most people. They are certainly powerful, but there are quite a few tags that I certainly do not like for the most part, but a small amount of those images are ones I do like. I’ve got a feeling many other people are in the same boat as me, and just hit that downvote button on those images.

This would give a way to automatically adapt users into filtering those images out, while hopefully being less intrusive and blocking only the images that the user doesn’t want to see.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
REMINDER OF RULE #6

Please post as yourself, or as BP, in a single thread - posting as both yourself and anonymously (Background Pony) just to make it look like others agree with you is not permitted.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
I have a sad feeling that no matter what option is picked, the mods will still get hate for it :/

Anyway I don’t think reverting would be a good idea, since I feel like more people would downvote the image then hide it, plus mods would still get people abusing the downvotes.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@JeremyStorm  
We don’t discourage dissenting opinion.

What we don’t allow personal attacks, or completely un-constructive comments like “this is shit”.

And on image comments we ask that comments focus on the image, not the theme of the image. Meta conversations like debates on whether the site’s rules should change or whether a theme should be allowed on this site aren’t “dissenting opinions” - they are entirely off-topic conversations that should happen in our Site & Policy forum.
InLucidReverie
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Pretty Horse
As a means of dealing with garbage content, downvotes were never the way to go about. The score will always be seen as a reflection of the artistic quality of the piece, far beyond just whether it’s worth seeing. I believe in that way it is pointless, but I do not believe people are wrong to desire a means of rating for quality.

A downvote system IS warrented, but the system in place did not suffice due to how score was calculated; a single downvote was always 1 while it’s actual significance changed: On a piece with 150 votes, one downvote equates to 0.75%, not 1… raise the numbers and you get 7 to 700 being 1%, where the artist is going to see that 7 as far more significant than it is.

The score itself is very hard to gage anything by; For the most part I just ignore it. The downvotes affected nothing functionally while providing just dissatisfaction to the creator.

IF however it were percentages then I believe more people would downvote for reasons that matter to them and the scores would become something useful to the artists, while the garbage content would quickly fall into poor scores too.

I would propose considering a ‘reasons’ selection when voting negatively- something visible to an artist tag owner.
Kill-R
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I’m a firm believer in the users. The whole thing that sparked this was, basically, a result of users not feeling like they had a valid place to express opposing thoughts to what the staff had ruled final and whatnot. Revert it.
fatalqueef
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

downvotes becoming even more anonymous, the cryptonite of ‘raid paranoid’-kin.

i personally like the reddit voting system, but it only works to help posts snowball in popularity even when others of same content don’t.

if filters were perfect, then this wouldn’t be such a problem for fetish/style or whatever people are getting criticized for, but the world isn’t perfect. this community isn’t gonna appreciate everything artists put out, so what’s the point of pretending they do?

removing downvote count does nothing to stop people from downvoting. also, how do artists, like me, will be able to know how unpopular your uploads might be so you can come up with improvements? downvotes can be a tool, the point system means nothing unless you’re just here fishing for compliments.
marenoodles

Hiding should be a last resort on a booru. The whole point of the booru is to bring people together to share images and opinions on them. If everyone just hides what they disagree with, then there’s no longer a community, just individuals browsing for what they personally like.

While I personally agree, you could easily say the same thing about the filtering system. :P

I’ve always been conflicted about the ability to hide. On one hand, it allows people to get exactly what they want, but on the other hand, it weakens the sense of community and it allows people to never expose themselves to ideas that bother them (which we don’t have nearly enough of, especially now that the internet is so bubbled and polarized).
SuperSupermario24
Wallet After Summer Sale -

fluffy sylveon
Actually, what if you had to pick a reason for downvoting?

What if, when you clicked downvote on an image, a little popup menu appeared that made you pick one of a few different reasons for downvoting the image (like “bad quality” or “shitpost”) before the downvote went through?

Presumably, these reasons would be available to view (whether it’s publicly, or just to the artist/uploader) so people can know why their images are receiving downvotes, without people having to come out and write out a comment about it if they don’t want to.

EDIT: lmao, got ninja’d by @InLucidReverie
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
@InLucidReverie  
I’m not sure how useful a “reasons” selection or info box would be. We had tossed that idea around ourselves. But the thought came people would just select whatever first option there was for filtering without paying attention to what it said, or just type random gibberish as a reason.

And while we could try to moderate that, and punish those who do just set random reasons/gibberish. They would be more work than we were already doing just monitoring mass-downvoters.
Bandaid
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Artist -

Big Stick Connoisseur
As a compromise, I’d like it if the system allowed it for the uploader to see the true upvote/downvote score, while everybody else can only see the overall score. I’m not too keen on this change but time will tell how this will go.
Backgroundpony
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Derpy Whooves  
There will be more personal attacks and unconstructive critic since not everyone can put their dislike into words and/or same language as the artist.

Give the people a easy “I disaprove of this” option and most are just going by with that option. At least that was my experience in community managment.
JetWave
Dala Vault - For supporting the site
Dala Vault - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art

There’s clearly a lot of people who see no worth at all in downvotes but I do. If nothing else, I’d want the option of enabling seeing a true score of how many people have downvoted/hidden an image. It’s way more useful for me to both find what the community accurately has preferences for and for measuring the popularity of my own art.
InLucidReverie
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Pretty Horse
@Zeb  
I’m sure they would, but if the first option were just ‘no reason given’ then that wouldn’t be an issue. On teh other habd, if people did give a proper reason it could allow artists to see some logic to what they’re looking at.
marenoodles

how do artists, like me, will be able to know how unpopular your uploads might be so you can come up with improvements? downvotes can be a tool, the point system means nothing unless you’re just here fishing for compliments.

The second option still lets you do see how unpopular your uploads are based on how many people hid it. :P
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: boop