Downvoting is being replaced by Hiding

DieselCrab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

#1 Rated Salesman1997
@Steel Crescent  
Downvotes were never meant as a way to say “stop liking what I don’t like,” they were meant as feedback as to whether or not the community likes something you’ve done. Without any form of negative feedback, artists will assume that everyone likes their work, warts and all, and their skills will not improve, or in some cases, they may even grow complicit with their flaws and their art will only get worse. If an artist can’t handle negative feedback, that says more about the artist themselves than the downvote system.
Fleetfoot
Fleetfoot - For Patreon supporters
Perfect Fleetfoot Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ saucy Fleetfoot images with 350+ upvotes (Perfect Pony Plot Provider)
Woona - To my most special somepony~
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Responsible Disclosure - Lessons from Furbi

Senior Moderator
Fletch the Enfield
@The Frowning Pony  
I still wish to be told why doesn’t images with tags that are filtered by the user can’t just be automatically hidden as well? instead of still showing up on the list, that still would’ve made more sense in my humble opinion.
Firenhooves
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

@Steel Crescent  
Having people comment doesn’t help me at all. 500 people who see my artwork can easily click downvote if they don’t like it. 500 people are not all going to make a detailed comment explaining why they don’t like something. Statistically it’s bullshit to listen to 1-3 people’s comment opinions over 500 people’s downvote opinions. I would much rather have a general consensus than a few random commentators. Those comments tell me nothing. The could just be a few random haters or they could have the opinion of the vast majority of people. I have no way to know because I can’t see the downvotes.

I desperately want the feedback of negative downvotes in my artwork. This rule change took that away from me.
Background Pony #BB9E
@Steel Crescent  
Last comment was meant for this user sorry.  
Also who says you can’t like an image with multiple dislikes? We aren’t a hive mind.
Steel Crescent
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

Just A Bat
@MorphinBrony  
That’s a problem. you downvote it because you think the art is bad or could use improvement. Not because you don’t like it. I gave an obvious and easy solution to this a page ago at the very end. A simple downvote isn’t enough information to convey it’s bad art or some troll.
Maddness

@Background Pony #B279

Let’s face it: if you don’t see anything inherently wrong with creating multiple accounts to downvote something, it’s fairly safe to say that you and the mods are not going to see eye to eye on this.

In theory an artist could think ‘wow someone hated my art so much they put in a fair bit of effort to downvote it repeatedly’ but in reality it’s just as likely that their piece was chosen for shits and giggles rather than an actual reason.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@The Frowning Pony
I still wish to be told why doesn’t images with tags that are filtered by the user can’t just be automatically hidden as well? instead of still showing up on the list, that still would’ve made more sense in my humble opinion.

If you hide images in your filter, they will be hidden.

That’s how it works.
stsyn
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Economist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes

Well, I looked inside and found some fun things:  
  1. The “Hidden” button is recolored “Downvote” button.  
  2. The only real new things: autohiding downvotes, hiding downvotes and score.  
  3. I need someone who can write user.js (because coding on the phone is hell).

Explanation:  
    Have image  
    https://pp.userapi.com/c621509/v621509605/89b7/Vyoceff0YsU.jpg  
    and json API  
    https://pp.userapi.com/c621509/v621509605/89c1/q7kVAbHWGtQ.jpg  
    Pay attention to downvotes and score (upvotes you already seen)

Hid it  
    https://pp.userapi.com/c621509/v621509605/89cb/KYwDaGNEIck.jpg  
    and look at json API again  
    https://pp.userapi.com/c621509/v621509605/89d5/PxkrzLOw4i8.jpg  
    As you can see, counts changed.

So, someone can make downvotes for those who want downvotes
DieselCrab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

#1 Rated Salesman1997
@Steel Crescent  
So just because some bad apples abuse the system it should go away for everyone? Doesn’t seem reasonable to me. People should have the right to make their opinions known, and if others can’t handle it, then frankly they are the problem, not downvotes.
Firenhooves
Non-Fungible Trixie -
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Artist -

@Steel Crescent
So just because some bad apples abuse the system it should go away for everyone? Doesn’t seem reasonable to me. People should have the right to make their opinions known, and if others can’t handle it, then frankly they are the problem, not downvotes.

I agree.
XVvajra
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Artist -

Make eveything huge
@Background Pony #B93D  
“Constructive criticism both never happens and is often useless.” If that’s true then public reaction in the form of upvotes versus downvotes are just as useless as well. If people tell you what need to be improvement like if the hands need to be less crooked then the artist can improvement on the hands more, and the artist can decide to improve or change but the artist will well never improvement on his/her artwork if he\she don’t listen to some constructive criticism.
Background Pony #B29D
@Steel Crescent

not 100% at all honestly. but it still is a better barrier than just removing it. especially since its clearly upsetting fans of the Downvote oc as well…… and the creator of the downvote oc too
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
You know, the longer this discussion goes, the more you wonder on why people don’t use filters for things they don’t like.

I mean, the new hide function is basically a weaker version of the filter system. What’s wrong with that?
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
not 100% at all honestly. but it still is a better barrier than just removing it. especially since its clearly upsetting fans of the Downvote oc as well…… and the creator of the downvote oc too

If you use either of the “PonyIcon” themes, their icon is still there. We didn’t remove that icon or any of those images from the site.
Pause

World's Smallest Violin
@Steel Crescent

I wasn’t aware the ability to leave a comment was removed.
Background Pony #48C0
@Steel Crescent  
Saying you dislike something doesn’t mean you expect others to feel the same any more than saying you like it does.

People should be allowed to have and express different opinions, be they positive or negative.
Background Pony #B29D
@Lobinchi  
unless, you know, it really emotionally hit the creator of downvote and he feels the site killed his character. which is what i s happening.

honestly speaking that is far from my only criticism of it but i think people are underestimating how much its impacting him
Fleetfoot
Fleetfoot - For Patreon supporters
Perfect Fleetfoot Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ saucy Fleetfoot images with 350+ upvotes (Perfect Pony Plot Provider)
Woona - To my most special somepony~
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Responsible Disclosure - Lessons from Furbi

Senior Moderator
Fletch the Enfield
@Derpy Whooves  
Then how do I get it to actually hide like if when I “downvote”? It always bothered me how “useless” filter tag is because you keep having the image there instead of literally hiding it altogether.

For instance, how not to see those:  
http://i.imgur.com/PWTefvm.png  
Get it completely hidden and not showing at all?
Background Pony #E7F4
@XVvajra  
Not necessarily - I’m not an artist, but wouldn’t you want to know what the size of your audience is for pieces that you might be considering making more of?

Like, if you get 1,000 up votes on an image, and only 20 on another image, doesn’t that help you decide which image to either make more of, or to take with you to a convention?

That seems like useful information.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: boop