Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market and you

Background Pony #138B
@some-guy  
I agree, the way to possibly stop this or weaken the proposal is too protest peacefully, not violently or out of hatred
Yiffmaniac
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Beware of fearmongering, article 13 sucks but it isn’t the end of the internet. First, notice that it says:  
Information society service providers that store and provide to the public access to large amounts of works or other subject-matter uploaded by their users
Keywords are “large amounts”. EU member states don’t have resources to monitor the whole internet so the limit when filtering is required would likely be so high that only really big sites like e.g. Facebook, Youtube and Twitter will have to do it.

Another important thing is that Article 13 doesn’t define what kind of filtering the sites need to use so you can simply have a filter bot which only reports to the mods if it finds copyrighted material and they then decide what to do with it.

Btw, here’s good comment about article 13:  
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/8o7eip/what_is_article_13_and_if_its_that_bad_why_arent/e04f9ah/
randomguy9

I think it’s worth mentioning that, if this directive does pass, that doesn’t mean it’s over. Article 13 is a directive, not a regulation, which means it’s up to each individual member state of the EU to decide how they want to enforce it. Any of the EU states could look at a directive and say “this is already covered by our current laws” and not do anything. Sometimes they do this even if their current laws don’t cover a directive due to differences in national politics, etc. Directives are broad goals that are set by the EU for its member states, but the EU alone doesn’t have the power to enforce them.

So if this directive passes, that doesn’t mean there’s nothing left to do. The next step would be to start contacting your own nation’s lawmakers, because they’re the ones who create the enforceable policy.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Do I even want to argue this? If I had to sum it up I’ll just say, I’m glad Blossomforth exists (and others who have comprehension and are level-headed), and also that I appreciate people paying attention to political happenings and sharing them.  
BUT this is still hysteria and I can’t endorse that.

Why does this get posted like 1 day before the deadline without giving people who care time to actually follow up on it? I’m confused. This all seems either very clumsy or intentionally rushed.

@The Frowning Pony  
There are a lot of interpretations about how bad this actually is, but a fair one is this: if an image subject to copyright is uploaded by a user, the site itself is immediately guilty of violating copyright.

The text of the article does not seem to support this claim. Actually this seems to me a gross misrepresentation of the truth.  
I think Blossomforth covered this for those who don’t have time or reading comprehension though.  
I’m guessing there is a cause for concern for users of sites that DO allow the sharing of illegal content on the basis that misuse of the site by users is not their responsibility; but in the end all this asks for is to have some anti-piracy measurement for place and can provide proof of that.

It seems people fear this being a slippery slope towards more laws than the actual article.  
Such as:

@Lord Seraph  
@Background Pony #F227
Regardless. It needs to be shot down.
We can’t ever put blind trust on our politicians over these things, especially when we are dealing against a type of government that is known to have tendencies to bend the rules to how they see fit.

So the concern is that the law may be misused as a different law but if that is possible why even wait for this law? Is your faith in law and order so little? I get the fear of things shifting in a certain way, but this particular article stll doesn’t strike me as so wrong. We already have anti-piracy and copyright protection laws in place, in fact Fair Use doesn’t even technically exist in most of Europe. So why exactly is this worse…?

Second, I know it’s common in the US to mail your representative. I did email my City Hall representative about issues in my town before. But I honestly don’t think emailing your EU representative works as well as people make it out to be. It seems a very US type of thinking to suggest this. Sure, petitions may get some notice but…Why is random people emailing a solution? I don’t want to take a stand on an issue I didn’t even research against someone my counry tasked with doing that because a random internet person said they weren’t doing their job.

@Background Pony #F70C  
Remembers me of the SOPA and PIA bullshit around 2012. Hope you europeans can get retain your rights.

That is actually a perfect example of a prior mass hysteria. And Orphan Works before that. The internet was up in arms for years over this legistation about allowing very old works where the creator’s identity was lost to history to be published legally that would supposedly lead to the legalization of art theft.  
As with this one, people just asked you to take their word for it.  
And also like with this one, tons of people took the bait on a simple basis of better safe than sorry.  
Which is just like how mass hysteria works.
fenfire

@Micro-Cyberbrony  
Oh, ye of little faith. The draft #6688 (https://medium.com/@cyberlabukraine/legal-analysis-of-the-draft-law-on-amending-certain-laws-of-ukraine-on-countering-threats-to-39b3738d97cf) was today recommended by the National Security and Defence Committee for approval. And while there are certainly plenty of arguments in favour of it getting passed, as was aptly said above  
@The Frowning Pony  
if there’s a tool, an asshole will abuse it
Maxis
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

If by chance that insane despicable dictatorial law was approved and Derpibooru was forced to close, would it be possible to make a big backup containing all pictures of the site?
J-90

When do the corporation’s and politicians realize that screwing with the internet freedoms o common people does not end well for anyone…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: It's done