DB WORKSHOP: Tag discussion

Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@VladimirMacHolzraum  
Doesn’t seem to be one. I assume it’s just people forgetting the rating system for the site. If you need votes to kill it off, you’ve got mine.

(Also, I checked the pictures and it seems to be concentrated mostly on the same 1-2 artists and 1-2 uploaders.)
image0

Mare/Stallion (and variations) tags: What do?  
They seem to have fallen out of regular use, so should they be killed, revived, or left as-is?
NostalgiaSchmaltz
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

Again I bring up the subject of “teats -> crotchboobs”, seeing as it hasn’t changed, and I don’t remember getting any mod/admin response the last 2 or 3 times I brought it up here.

Why exactly does “teats” imply “crotchboobs” ? It wasn’t like that before; was changed sometime in mid-2014, I think.

teats shouldn’t imply crotchboobs because they’re two different things, just like how nipples and breasts are two different things. Having teats -> crotchboobs is like having nipples -> breasts …kinda illogical.

I’d define “crotchboobs” as actual boob-sized teats, mostly because I’ve seen countless crotchboobs-tagged images where the mare just had two little dots on her lower belly, or just nipples; no actual “boob” in the “crotchboob”.

Whereas “teats” would be just nipples / very small “crotchboobs”. That was another thing I see often, is “crotchboob”-tagged images where the mare just has two little, barely-noticeable mounds on her lower belly. Those shouldn’t be tagged “crotchboobs” either, but that’s just my opinion.

I dunno, I just see a clear difference between “teats” and “crotchboobs”, and making teats imply crotchboobs makes no sense.
Red Yellow Moon

mane six plus one and humane seven

Both of these tags are for images that show the mane six and Sunset Shimmer together. I know that humane seven is the more common tag, but I feel it’s a bit of a misnomer because it implies that all seven girls are equestria girls-ified or humanized, when there are images such as this and this (#ECDC in the comments is me) that have all of them as ponies. On the other hand, I’m not sure if “mane six plus one” is the best name either…

Then there’s mane eight. It’s a combinations of images with the Mane Six, Spike and Sunset; and images with the Mane Six, Spike, and Discord. There’s even images such as this (Mane Six, Sunset, and Trixie) and this (Mane Six, Spike, and Celestia) that have that tag. The tag’s a bit of a mess, to be honest, and I’m not sure what it’s original purpose was.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

How come from Weaver’s zebra twin OCs, only one is tagged oc: ? xD

( oc:mua and mti )

Would some kind soul with a ton of time please retag
Yoshimon1
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

yay(){ yay|yay & };yay
@Solitude  
@Solitude  
Ok, let’s continue the discussion here.

Personally, I don’t see the difference between Scar/Pearl/etc and other characters like, say, Zack Fair (7 images) from Final Fantasy that get their own tag.  
They don’t have many images, they always have one or more secondary tags for their series… Scar/Pearl/etc just happen to be named like an already existing tag.  
Sure, you can easily find them by searching for “ambiguous name, series”, but if their names were slightly different (Pearly, Scarr, whatever), they’d immediately get their own tag, no questions asked.
Solitude
Element of Generosity -

@Yoshimon1  
First off, let me apologize if my last post came across a bit too aggressive. External factors had left me a bit crabby.

I’m not entirely sure what you’re getting at. Characters get tagged with their name, yes. Some characters have names identical to an existing tag, yes. Tagging their series of origin is required and is paramount to help find them, yes. And if their names were slightly different they’d get their own tags because we have to tag their name, yes.

My main concern is that replacing the regular name with the “name (series)” will create confusion and reduce search effectiveness. If it’s done thoroughly, wholesale for everything that’d be something else but I see it applied haphazardly ending up with two tags for the same thing and not every image properly tagged. Add to that that said method seems to be fairly recent and not many seem to know about it. I don’t know if there’s been a thread or a discussion or something beforehand which, considering it’s a serious, site-relevant change, it should have before being implemented so people can take a vote and be informed.

I’ll admit that part of me takes this too seriously at times. I want to do my part in keeping this site running smoothly and, being mildly ocd, might exaggerate at times. The thing is I see no merit nor practical purpose to suddenly change things when the original method worked fine.
Heroine Addict
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Pedantry Executive
I’d like to talk about the mouthpiece tag. Currently, it is defined as “Tag used for when an artist uses a canon character as a voice for their own opinion/agenda, where the character would not have that opinion/would never in a canon setting hold that opinion”. Now, I can see two issues with that:  
  1. Does it apply to expressing opinions on in-universe reactions and relations? If I were to upload, say, a picture of Rarity professing her love for Applejack, would that be a “mouthpiece”? What about Dinky calling Derpy the best mother ever, or Twilight stating that she’s straight? I see plenty of potential for abuse there.  
  2. Who judges which opinions a character “would never in a canon setting hold”? Some images of the kind that the “mouthpiece” tag gets placed on do actually make sense in-character. Would it apply to a picture of Fluttershy promoting non-violence, which actually fits her characterization as a gentle pony? Who knows what opinions background ponies with very little canonical personality might hold? The tag itself is a matter of opinion in some cases.

The first issue could be settled easily enough by simply stating in the description whether in-universe reactions count. The second issue, however, requires some kind of objective standard to resolve.

Fortunately, I have come up with a possible solution to both. It could be defined as “Artist uses a canon character to express their opinion on a real-world issue”. That would allow it to remain on most of the images that have it, but also make it clearer and less of an expression of an agenda itself.
Yoshimon1
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

yay(){ yay|yay & };yay
@Solitude  
Huh, looks like I wasn’t entirely sure what you’re getting at, either. Classic case of miscommunication. But now, if you phrase it like this, I finally understand your point.

And I have to agree with you. In a perfect world, there’d be no confusion about these things and everything’d be tagged correctly, but obviously that’s wishful thinking. It also only occured to me just now that it’s probably pretty strange for users that don’t know about these tags when they can easily search for (to use my example again) “zack fair, final fantasy”, but don’t get any results for “pearl, steven universe”. That’s problematic indeed.

I still think these ambiguous tags have to go, but this topic definitely has to be discussed more in-depth. (And with more than 3 people…)
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
  1. That first one’s open to debate on a pic-by-pic basis. Pics like this:  
    full  
    would get it because it’s clearly just OP bawling about ships they don’t like.

2. It’s a subjective tag, but one that was mainly invented to label (and by extention allow the filtering) of extreme duckery like these:  
    full full full full  
    with the biggest deciding factors being if it’s just an artist trying to shoehorn their opinion via ponies, and if it’s done in that “text over portrait staring at you” kind of style. It does get abused to a degree, but since the tags main purpose is to hide content people don’t want to see, there does need to be some level of lenience with when it’s applied to an image.

Ones that are actually positive and in-character should be labelled as Positive Ponies rather than Mouthpiece

Your description change kind of doesn’t work though, since lots of them aren’t about real world issues. There’s a good number of them that bawl about shipping, memes they don’t like, down with Molestia, Tumblr drama, or are just brainless attacks against the fandom in general.
Mad Black
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Speaking Fancy - For helping with translations

And the mouthpiece tag is more about political things, gender, sexuality, religions and such things that aren’t necessary addressed in the show, or in a completely different way.
Solitude
Element of Generosity -

@Vree  
That was something about how spoiler tags would stop automatically spoiler a full week after the episode aired, if I remember right. Dunno if that’s still in effect since we now have to add the spoiler tags to our filter manually.
NostalgiaSchmaltz
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

@Solitude

@Vree

Yeah, I’m not sure we need to be adding spoiler tags for an episode that aired over a month ago. Perhaps the admins could add something that automatically removes the “spoiler:S5eXX” tag for each episode, 3-4 weeks after the episode airs.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: New thread