Concerned Users of Derpibooru

Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@Background Pony #2A39  
No. We are not based in Britain, although some of our staff live there. Or used to live there. I used to live in Bournemouth, for example. It’s a beautiful place - if you get there check out the “Goat And Tricycle”. Inside the place it is like three barns nailed together, but the barmaids are very nice and the beer is very local. Right now our operational jurisdictions are France and Germany, depending on which thing you are pointing at.

@Background Pony #C8CF  
There are, in fact, things that we can not host because of Germany’s laws. But those are mostly baked into the rules themselves.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Background Pony #ED09  
That is not the logic in question. It’s not “we have to curate more images”, it’s “we have fewer users (some are banned, some left the site, some simply refuse to help in censorship and hence do not patricipate anymore) and hence fewer reports or images being uploaded”, which is absolutely “less workload”. In the words of Comrade Stalin Glimmer, нэт поне - нэт проблэмы.

@Derpy Whooves  
I fail to see how literal censorship was what allowed you to “delete neo-nazi promotions”. The rules banned it before, for most of Derpi’s existence. The only difference is that they banned everything as opposed to picking one side or enacting wildly unpopular, both with users and with actual site staff, rule changes.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
I fail to see how literal censorship was what allowed you to “delete neo-nazi promotions”

Depending on the exact thing you are referring to, if something is outlawed in Germany it’s illegal for us to host it.
Background Pony #2A39
@Derpy Whooves  
Thank you, I will when I get the chance. I am unaware of what things you can’t host you’re referring to, but have there been any consideration of moving to a place with more lenient internet laws like Canada?
Background Pony #3184
@Background Pony #ED09  
That comment is terrible, though it does remind me of the offensiveness dilemma faced by censors.

If we ban one type of content because one group finds it offensive, how is it just to not ban content that other groups find offensive without becoming bigots ourselves?

Barring obvious abuses of the already existing rules, a free speech policy with the filter system works best.

That said, based on what some of BLM’s (the organization, not the phrase/movement) leaders have said, I could make a pretty strong argument they violate the hateful ideology rule. But I’m a free speech absolutist, so I won’t.
Background Pony #ED09
@Derpy Whooves  
Legit question here.  
You say “This is a table.”. Absolutely everyone outside of your close group which decided the thing in question is a table- absolutely everyone said group points out that it’s actually a chair because it’s small and has a backrest and it’s labeled “Chair”.  
Do you really just not consider that it may be a chair, that you’re too wrapped up in the groupthink, and think that you need to educate absolutely everyone else? Do you not realize that the users of this booru overwhelmingly disagree with your policy, which is not in any way required for the site to function? That the ONE non-mod who was on your side for the past twelve hours tried to start a shitfling?  
Oh my god, you’re all unironically going I Reject Your Reality.
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Peace to all
Questions for the thread:

What does non-antagonist dissent look like? Should we rally around a OC or banner of some kind? I think it could be a good idea as a way to show dissent without starting a fire. Just a notation saying “hey, I disagree” or “hey, I’m skeptical of this.” Other suggestions?

What does this thread set out to do? My idea for this thread was to maintain a space so we could debate how to fight censorship. Policy debate would exist but not to the mods and trying to get gotcha moments but to refine debate ourselves over how to debate the mods for possible moves later. Still I think it is completely relevant to discuss the implications of the current policy but turning this into another thread like the BLM overflow thread would be completely useless in my mind.

full
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Background Pony #2A39  
Yes. But that’s a subject for the thread where we talked about that stuff, or the dev/ops thread, not this thread. I don’t have a link to it but you should find it in the Site & Policy forum somewhere.

@Background Pony #3184  
Can’t filter comments. So whatever you are talking about remember that there’s more than just filterable images being talked about here. This includes posts to forums and comments on images, too. [edit: also PMs. Lots of those to deal with whatever your solution for the others, so being able to say; ‘this is not allowed’ in PMs too is needed]

@Background Pony #ED09  
You replied to “Depending on the exact thing you are referring to, if something is outlawed in Germany it’s illegal for us to host it.” If something is illegal for us to host in Germany, how is that a ‘groupthink’ problem?

If you are instead referring to my reply to your earlier statements about the affect this rule change will have on staff workloads,, if you don’t believe anything I have said about my own experience of my own personal workload on the site then I don’t know what to tell you.
Background Pony #BA40
What does non-antagonist dissent look like?

Not reporting things that you know break rules.  
Malicious compliance with the rules.  
Artists can take all their artwork off the site.  
Using Arryanne to promote free speech, producing a lot of art about such with all “nazi” imagry of her taped over or visibly scrubbed.  
I’m not suggesting you do any of that, they are simply examples of “non-antagonistic” in my mind.  
An example of antagonistic would be constantly asking the mods a question about site policy whenever they publicly posted, keep that stuff to where it’s relevant and don’t harass them.
Background Pony #ED09
@Derpy Whooves  
No, I am referring to the fact that the amount of people who want this policy is overwhelmingly small, and most of them are mods. And even then not all mods want it.  
I didn’t know anything about the site being hosted in germany, nor has there been any mention of legal actions forcing derpi to take this stance thus far. All I’ve seen so far is overreaching and pretending the rule isn’t doesn’t force users to guess what someone else thinks is politically incorrect.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@doloresbridge  
Because I am also a user here, I hoped that I could participate here, because I certainly would like to see a better approach. That’s why I joined the thread with my own personal take (albeit stealing from Russia Today) as soon as you started it.

But I am getting the impression that if I am here then people will just keep using it as the “This is not a place to play 20 questions with the mods or ask for official answers on policy” tread, which you did not want, so maybe I should just leave.

I wish you good luck - if you achieve a cohesive consensus, please summarize it and present it to ops@derpibooru.org, because that would be very useful.
Background Pony #ED09
@Derpy Whooves  
Oh, no. The discussion will stay public. Not going to talk where people can’t see it, because that’s effectively not talking at all in this situation.  
>If you achieve a cohesive consensus  
WE HAVE A COHESIVE CONSENSUS. WE DON’T WANT THIS SHIT.  
The ones who disagree with the consensus are YOU goddamnit.
Background Pony #BA40
@Derpy Whooves  
Is it site policy that you are unable to BP-post?  
I don’t understand why you’re not doing that otherwise, if you don’t want people to treat you as a mod in this discussion.
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Peace to all
@Derpy Whooves  
Its a shame because I think that we could be on the similar page. You’re not here as a mod but a fellow user and I think you’re initial input on organizing based on the values of the show was great. Perhaps if things settle down you could come back. I will report if a cohesive consensus emerges.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Background Pony #ED09  
Basically this.

@Derpy Whooves  
I consider your suggestion to “mail the ops” to be a veiled “put it all into the memory hole”. If the head-staff that actually make the decisions were amenable to changing this decision, it would not have been made in the first place.  
While it’s not really different to be posting on Derpi itself because you can just wipe posts and threads from the database and edit without leaving the edit-mark, this kind of discussion must not be in private.

@Background Pony #BA40  
He (like a large portion of mods) has a separate account without staff privilege. I do not know why he’s using the staff one to “post as user”.
spookitty
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
Artist -

spooky lil kitty
Derpy are you literally the only person on the staff? Are you the arbiter for the entire staff’s opinions? Or are you just the fall guy they send out to give everyone the run around with double speak and diversions? It was clear from last night that Luna and Mikey certainly don’t mind talking down to users to the point of referring to what they say as trash and garbage.

It was even more telling when they decided to completely ignore Tiarawhy’s questions and concerns. Is the limit to mom’s abilities to answer and reply directly tied to one’s level of clout? I suppose that would make sense. All of your nonsensical changes lately have only been in the pursuit of clout after all.

I’m not sure why most users are even interacting or taking your words at face value. It’s completely clear that you and most mods have no input about what the admins change and when they change it. Yet you’re still here to defend their decisions nonetheless. Mikey even said he didn’t approve of the changes yet he toes the line just like the rest of you.

The only logical statement here should be that censorship in any form is wrong and the complete antithesis of what being a creator and an artist is.

Barring anything that breaks any law there should be no subject matter that needs censorship. I don’t even like most of this stuff personally, but I also know how to use filters and hide images because they should still be allowed to exist.

Of course, it’s clear the staff have biased views on what people can filter and downvote already seeing as how you have consistently coddled your user base as if you feel the need to show them the way yo enlightenment.

For all the paragraphs all of you have written and rewritten the staff couldn’t be any more transparent in what you’re doing despite their best efforts to paint their actions in pseudointellectualism.
windburst

We’re really at this point, aren’t we? 2 weeks ago I had hoped it would just blow all over, now we’re going to see stuff being banned because group x doesn’t like group y

Maybe we should just let the wendigo’s nuke it all
PoemeMystique

@Archonix
I’d be all for if we banned all politics completely here and made the site a politics free zone. Politics is fake and gay.

This wouldn’t work because the core of the issue is that to the neo-Maoist leftists who drive the censorship juggernaut, absolutely everything is political. They want domination of every aspect of speech, thought and expression. As they say, you may not be interested in the revolution, but the revolution is interested in you.
Barhandar

(twi|pony)booru.org
@PoemeMystique  
I am not sure how “neo-Maoist leftists” are relevant here. The head-staff have announced their allegiance very explicitly, and it is to Black Lives Matter.

@spookitty  
Or are you just the fall guy they send out to give everyone the run around with double speak and diversions?
Based on responses in this thread, the questions thread, the threads two weeks ago when criticism of BLM was banned, and on his behavior in general, yes, this is accurate. Also he is the same “polite but you might as well be talking to a wall” way in “private” too.
Background Pony #BA40
I’m not sure why most users are even interacting or taking your words at face value.

Because it’s polite and assuming discussion is impossible without attempting it is self-fulfilling.  
Sure it’s unlikely to change anything, but it’s worth trying until you get stone walled.  
On the more practical side of things it also provides a paper trail for people that are only just hearing of the situation to catch up on things.
PoemeMystique

@Background Pony #2A39
No. We are not based in Britain, although some of our staff live there. Or used to live there. I used to live in Bournemouth, for example. It’s a beautiful place - if you get there check out the “Goat And Tricycle”. Inside the place it is like three barns nailed together, but the barmaids are very nice and the beer is very local.

That must explain the mysterious reference to that pub I saw in a Doctor Who themed image thread the other day!
PoemeMystique

@Barhandar  
I wasn’t intending to refer to the booru staff as that; I was talking about outside forces which are driving the attack on free expression globally. I think elements of BLM certainly qualify as neo-Maoists, though - in the vague and impressionistic sense in which I was using the term, anyway! There’s one heck of a Cultural Revolution vibe in the world right now.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@spookitty  
You don’t have to cast shade on me for trying to answer questions.

The consensus here is clear, none of you want me to answer questions about this any more, so I won’t.

I’ll go help artists with their complete takedowns because they’re sick of all the fascism on this site instead. For the first time in my life, setting up DNPs and helping with takedowns won’t be the worse thing I’ve had to do on this site.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Thank you all for your feedback