Recently several people have expressed concern about the site’s stance regarding images that appear to be traces, noting that we do not always enforce rules consistently regarding tracing. Part of this was due to the fact that to date, we have not had any official, written policy for site staff in regards to tracing.
Since tracing is a serious matter that can have a strong negative impact on artists, we have updated the site’s internal staff policies to reflect our stance regarding images traced from other MLP fan artists. For transparency purposes, here is that policy:
If there is reasonably strong evidence that an image uploaded to this site was traced from an image by another pony fan artist, please do the following:
- If the original artist has a DNP listing (including “Artist Only” or “No Edits”), delete the image immediately
- Ensure that the original artist is tagged and that the image is tagged as an ‘edit’ (lock tag editing if OP tries fighting this)
- Contact the original artist and explain that someone uploaded what appears to be a trace of their image to the site, and ask if they knew about this and/or are ok with it
- If the original artist gives a negative response, or does not respond within 2-3 days, delete the traced upload for violating Rule #1
- If someone asks why we are allowing the image on the site (“why wasn’t this deleted?”), explain that we contacted the original artist and are waiting to hear back from them, or that they are ok with it being left up
Derpibooru costs over $25 a day to operate - help support us financially!