Ask the Mods Important Site Questions (V2)

🂾𝕃𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕟𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝔽𝕒𝕟🂽
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Nocturnal Vision - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Goodbye guys ;)
Just wondering something:
I noticed that some user’s profile pictures show a name or date when you view it in a new tab, such as lwut’s profile picture. Just wondering if there’s a way you can modify the name when choosing a new profile picture or if that was an old effect that is no longer in process?
If it were possible to include the file name I would like to try it 😀
reply 1,200 too whoo-hoo 🥳🥰
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
When you go to the forums, nothing is showing up under the “last post” section for the “Uploader Discussion” forum despite the last post their being 4 days ago.
Is this a bug or is nothing showing in the “last post” section for that forum supposed to be intentional?
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@NightStalker
I wish I could explain. Right now staff agrees it’s self-evidently in violation of #3 and it’s been re-deleted. The mod note on the image merely said it had been restored “as per second look”. That wording is found on other images as well, suggesting this image may have been accidentally targeted by a batch action, but the site’s UI doesn’t support looking up mod actions that far in the past. We’re looking into it tho, and should be a bit wiser once the acolytes have erected big enough bonfires for the blood sacrifice ceremony back-end search.
Blissful690
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Violet Frost Fan
So the description for the “tv meme” tag says:
Note:using this template does not make something pony-related, and non-pony stuff will be deleted.
Yet there’s tons of TV meme images with non-pony stuff still up. Why is that?
saby
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Blissful690
Old exploitable memes are preserved for their historical value. If you find new ones, please report them so staff can act accordingly.
JP
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
The image upload form says
Describe with 3+ tags, including ratings and applicable artist tags
Can we please change this, because apparently it’s too complex for some people to understand. Explain in simpler words that “3+” does not mean three and only three.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Include a feature that generates a low priority auto-report if an image is uploaded with five or fewer tags, so a mod can dope-slap repeat offenders.
saby
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@TexasUberAlles
This makes my anatomy tingle. Something similar has been suggested in a recent staff thread, and this would compliment those suggestions nicely.
@𝗪𝖎𝖗𝖊𝖇𝖆𝖑𝖑
That only works the fresh, hot second when some helpful user hasn’t added a few extra tags. Automation should be next to trivial in this case, and also magnitudes more efficient.
𝗪𝖎𝖗𝖊𝖇𝖆𝖑𝖑
Wireball - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Silver Supporter - For site supporters
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Sapphire - For users who have donated to the site
Happy Derpy! -

@JP
Oh that’s quite handy. I was aware of tricks such as prepending minus to filter out certain keywords, and score.gt:5 (greater than 5), but there are several like tag_count (exact) or tag_count.lte (less than or equal to) that I hadn’t investigated. Thanks!
@saby
Those fiendish helpful users! I see what you mean.
It also sounds like your report handling system is fairly fast to work with.
(I’ve been somewhat scarred by one of our older ticketing systems at work - 60+ seconds just to open and assign a ticket, and it fights you if you try to open tickets in different browser tabs.)
Background Pony #0414
Why pending approval from a staff member after uploading an image by anonymous can sometimes last a few hours?
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #0414
Well, just talking about your last upload, it’s expressed as a video in the system, and two times I checked the queue it was still being processed.
We can’t approve stuff until it’s finished processing (or otherwise can be seen in its entirety) so I didn’t approve it.
Later, I checked back, and it was finished so I approved it.
Plus, no one is sitting at a desk watching the approval queue. We all just swing by it whenever we have a chance to see what’s there.
So, for me, I saw it three times over maybe an hour and it wasn’t in an approvable state until my last time through.
Does that help explain how it works and why sometimes it might take awhile?
Also … it seems you might have a profile. If you do, just upload the image logged on. You can even upload it anonymously. Then it skips the approval queue.
OneMoreAnonymous
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Some characters are rendered in Derpibooru tag URLs are HTML-encoded sequences (in which the % character is further escaped as %25), but I can’t see much of a pattern over which ones get encoded and which ones remain unencoded. This seems particularly confusing regarding Chinese characters, it seems that one Unicode block gets encoded whereas the next one doesn’t, which screws things up for my attempts at writing userscripts.
Two contrasting examples for the sake of illustration:
Not to mention the board-specific old escaping like : becoming -colon-, tho I’m used to these.
Is there an official list of which of these 3 things is done to each character?
Background Pony #699F

Not a mod, but can help:
@OneMoreAnonymous
The list of character-to-string substitutions is in slug.ex. They are then encoded with Elixir’s URI encode function which I do not know the specifics about how it works, but one time when I tried to replicate Derpibooru’s tag encoding, I ended up with encodeURIComponent(str).replace(/[!'()*]/g, c => '%' + c.charCodeAt(0).toString(16)) in JavaScript (taken from Stack Overflow)
Note that browsers may perform a silent conversion between the encoded form and the human-readable display of characters: for example, for me in Chrome, accessing your second link displays the Chinese characters in the URL bar, but the network tab of the developer tools reveals that a request was made to /tags/artist-colon-%E7%94%B0%E5%9B%AD%E9%94%84%E4%B8%B2%E5%AD%90
However, there is a wrinkle which I believe makes it impossible to programmatically generate a tag’s URL: tags first used before this patch in 2020 were double-encoded, and won’t work if single-encoded, with no way to know which way a tag is without either just looking it up through the API (eg. artist:未知的生物, artist:田园锄串子) or to cache a list of all affected legacy tags, which I have done but is 56 times too many characters to post in the forums.
Blissful690

Violet Frost Fan
Is it possible to search multiple galleries? For example, I’ve tried searching for gallery_id:15111,gallery_id:21377 but no results come back.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide