Waifu Thread

DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Zerowinger

Yes, indeed. However, here in Germany many US cartoon shows either did not run at all (for example G. I. Joe, because allegedly too glorifying of violence) or only much later or in the 90’s on Cartoon Network, which could actually be received as a TV channel in West Germany. That’s why my memories are incomplete. I don’t remember when or where I saw what. ;-)

A bit embarrassing, but I remember that when I was eight years old in 1988, I probably had a little crush with the Chipettes, especially Brittany in The Chipmunk Adventure. ;-D

full

full

full

full

Well, what else is there to say, except: Prost!

full

Long live the nostalgia. ;-)
TenaciousDreamer2nd

Well, if we’re going to talk about lovely 80’s gals I better throw in one of the quintessential examples.

full  
full  
full  
full

This is the type of lady you’d love to just snuggle up with during a lazy, rainy Sunday as you watch the raindrops fall across your window.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@TenaciousDreamer2nd

full

Sha-la-la-la-la-la  
My, oh my  
Looks like the boy’s too shy  
Ain’t gonna kiss the girl

Sha-la-la-la-la-la  
Ain’t that sad  
It’s such a shame, too bad  
You’re gonna miss the girl  
Go on and kiss the girl
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Background Pony #DC18

Oh, Read or Die? That’s been a while since I read the manga back then. Yes, of course Yomiko Readman has different character traits and thus fulfills different Waifu criteria. Personally, I like her a lot, but I would have to read the manga again or watch the anime, because all I remember is more like the extraordinary setting of Read or Die with exceptional figures from history. I remember very well the fight against Otto Lilienthal. Anyway, Yomiko has badass fighting abilities. So spontaneously I would say, Yomiko Readman is a lively bookworm. If I remember correctly. ;-)

So I can also understand the preference for women with large breasts who wear glasses very well. But when it comes to that, I like the strict teacher a little more than the nerdy girl. ;-D

full
Background Pony #DC18
@DarkObsidian  
Nice. How do you feel about brilliant, driven, mad scientist types?

full

Ritsuko (don’t call her “Dr. Pullring”) Akagi from Evangelion. Brilliant. Driven. Self-hating. Loves cats, building giant robots, and men who don’t love her back.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Background Pony #DC18

Ah, Neon Genisis Evangelion has always fucked my mind. What do you expect from a series that emerged under the severe depression of its creator. Eventually, I’ll make another attempt to watch and understand the show, but only if my alcohol reserves are large enough to endure the second half to The End of Evangelion. ;-D

But isn’t Ritsuko quite uncommon to wear her glasses? I have never really gotten warm with her character, especially because of her difficult relationship with her mother and her relationship with Gendo Ikari. But then perhaps we should discuss this in a different thread. I don’t want to judge her actions, but I lack a little compassion for her.

In fact, in Evangelion, Asuka Langley Sohryu would certainly be my Waifu, although I am a little torn inside because of her very young age. After all, I’m about to turn forty in less than two weeks. ;-)
Background Pony #DC18
@DarkObsidian  
I can understand that. I always found Asuka irritating, though–she is hyper-competitive, pugilistic, too aggressive for her own good (reminds me of Rainbow Dash, actually), and not a waifu, nor even a good match for Shinji–I always ‘shipped Shinji with Misato, Partially because Misato was close to being the hot older woman I always wanted when I was a lonely depressed teenager, partially because her own mental problems and trauma make her more childlike, less mature. I sensed some mutual feelings of affection from them too, and he was definitely attracted to her, though I can’t say there’s any unambiguous evidence she’s attracted to him.

At the same time I realize that in real life there are numerous very good reasons thirty year old women don’t hook up with teenage boys very often. But it’s a fantasy, they’re fictional characters, and each of them is broken in a way that makes them fit together in a way that’s sadly beautiful.

And this is part of a larger theme. No one in Evangelion is who they appear to be at first. Shinji isn’t the typical shonen anime protagonist. Misato isn’t really the flirtatious “cool big sister.” Ritsuko isn’t really as detached as she seems. Asuka isn’t as skilled or tough as she believes, and Rei isn’t as detached as she seems either. Gendou Ikari isn’t nearly as in control as he appears. The Evangelions aren’t really giant robotic machines. And on and on.

The show itself is created to resemble, superficially, the 1970s and 1980s shonen mecha anime that were considered classics thirty years ago when Hideaki Anno began writing it. But it’s not a shonen show at all, it just looks like one until you watch a few episodes and examine it closely. It’s a seinen show, a brutal psychological deconstruction of the “classic” mecha shows like Mazinger Z and Gigantor. It takes all the original ideas and carries them through to realistically plausible conclusions. What would a sane, rational fourteen-year-old boy do if you brought him to a city that was under siege by horrible monstrosities, kaiju designed by H. R. Giger, and told him “get into the cockpit of this giant war robot you’ve never seen before and go fight for us?” He’d not act like Koji Kabuto. He’d say “you people are all insane, get me out of here.” Gendou Ikari is just the sort of man who’d abandon his family to head an organization that builds giant war robots, and Ritsuko Akagi and Misato Katsuragi are just the sort of women who’d work for him.

It’s not a giant robot war story. Not really. It’s a story about damaged, traumatized people being crushed slowly under immense psychological pressure until they break. This is why I love the characters, even if the plot is a dog’s breakfast–why do the alien invaders attack one at a time, like ninja mooks in a silly 1970s martial arts movie, instead of all at once? What kind of alien beasts are these, that can’t be killed with nuclear weapons, but die when a giant robot punches them in the face? But the characters are amazing, and I still read Evangelion fanfiction.

…and I still waifu Ritsuko, even though I know she’s not, at heart, a good person. No one in the show is. All are imperfect, damaged, traumatized, seeking impossible things they can never have, know it, and are yet unwilling to try either new tactics or switch to a more reasonable goal. Also, she’s very pretty.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Background Pony #DC18

Yes, this sums it all up pretty well. And that’s right, I’ve actually completely forgotten Misato. Well, in short, Neon Genesis Evangelion was very well known and popular at the end of the 90s, although I personally could never really understand the idolization of some fans for Rei Ayanami. However, I liked Mogudan’s Hentai artworks from her. And as a fan of Evangelion, I think everyone should definitely have played the Erogame Season of the Sakura. It’s incredibly entertaining, the story is also good, I just don’t know if it’s really aged well. ;-)

full
MichaelBrony147
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Role Play Enthusiast.
I remember having a crush on Callie Briggs, from Swat Katz, back when they aired reruns of that show on the Boomerang Network. Mmmmh… She sure was one pretty feline. X3
Random-Rambling
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
I remember having a crush on Callie Briggs, from Swat Katz, back when they aired reruns of that show on the Boomerang Network. Mmmmh… She sure was one pretty feline. X3

I wonder how many furries discovered themselves with shows like Swat Katz and Chip’n’Dale Rescue Rangers.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide