Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Pone of Astronomy
@Zincy  
Not that, the part about, y’know…

@Meanlucario  
and it has plenty of jumpscares, they just usually have something trying to kill you three hours in. I think you’re forgetting more about the game than you like to think.

Not really, no. Look, we both clearly have different taste in horror. Let me enjoy what I want.  
Isn’t that the game that spawned from a meme?

….  
You’re actually serious?
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Mikey

Explained above. It was an embellished poke at one of his over detailed sex scenes that was emblematic of his reliance on flash and exposition.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Zincy  
Ah, ok. I expected other kind of description. xD

I haven’t read the George R.R. Martin books, but that’s because I tend to start the books once a story is absolutely finished.

That said, I want to read the Berserk manga. It’s a real pity that Kentaro Miura passed away, but at least he left a cultural legacy. If Berserk wasn’t made, we probably wouldn’t get things like Dark Souls.
Meanlucario
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
@Terminal Red  
There’s a Youtube series/channel by that name that tells terrible writing advice and is drench in sarcasm.

@Mikey  
No, I remember that the game loves to jumpscare you with spooks and noises well before the first monster you can actually see.

I want to say yes just to drive you mad.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Pone of Astronomy
@Meanlucario  
I don’t remember any jumpscares, but I don’t care to continue this discussion.  
I want to say yes just to drive you mad.

So are you looking forward to it or not?
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
Raymond Chandler is considered one of the best writers in American History and several of his books were Adapted into the Greatest Film noir Movies ever made. He was famous for his ability to convey great atmosphere with minimal effort and sharp snappy dialogue so good they made no changed to it when that adapted it Into movie scripts. His most famous creation was Hard boiled Detective Philip Marlowe. I’m reading several of his books now.

Here’s some of Chandler quotes on the subject of writing.

“Writers … have to fight the impulse to live up to someone else’s idea of what they are.”

That you should have pride in your purer American heritage of language seems to me a slight thing. Latin became corrupt, but French is a sharper language than Latin ever was. The best writing in English today is done by Americans, but not in any purist tradition. They have roughed the language around as Shakespeare did and done it the violence of melodrama and the press box. They have knocked over tombs and sneered at the dead. Which is as it should be. There are too many dead men and there is too much talk about them.

If I hadn’t grown up on Latin and Greek, I doubt if I would know so well how to draw the very subtle line between what I call a vernacular style and what I should call an illiterate or faux naif style. There’s a hell of a lot of difference, to my mind.

I can’t seem to get started on doing anything. Always very tough for me to get started. The more things people say about you the more you feel as if you were writing in an examination room, that it didn’t belong to you any more, that you had to protect critical reputations and not let them down. Writers even as cynical as I have to fight the impulse to live up to someone else’s idea of what they are.

I am having a hard time with the book. Have enough paper written to make it complete, but must do all over again. I just didn’t know where I was going and when I got there I saw that I had come to the wrong place. that’s the hell of being the kind of writer who cannot plan anything, but has to make it up as he goes along and then try to make sense out of it. If you gave me the best plot in the world all worked out I could not write it. It would be dead for me.

I am the same man I was when I was a struggling nobody. I feel the same. I know more, it is true, break all the rules and get away with it, but that doesn’t make me important. I may have written the most beautiful American vernacular that has ever been written (some people think I have), but if it is so, I am still a writer trying to find his way through a maze. Should I be anything else? I can’t see it.:

And here I am at 2:30 A.M. writing about technique, in spite of a strong conviction that the moment a man begins to talk about technique, that’s proof he is fresh out of ideas.

I have never made any money on writing. I work too slowly, throw away too much, and what I write that sells is not at all the sort of thing I really want to write.

I never really had a great urge to write fiction, which is becoming more and more of a pseudo-art. … But you guys have an obligation … to avoid pompously bad writing and the kind of dullness that comes from letting flatulent asses pontificate about things they know no more about than the next man, if as much. There is a (to me) shocking example of this in the November Harper’s, called “Salute to the Litterateurs.” Consider:

“For writers are people of peculiar sensitivity to the winds of doctrine which blow with especial violence in a time of rapid change — some more so than others, but none, except the outright hacks, completely immune.”

I regard that sentence as a disgrace to English prose. It says nothing and says it ponderously, in a cliched manner, and without syntax.

[…]

Is there anything said here that could not be said better with a simple after-dinner belch?

I probably know as much about the essential qualities of good writing as anybody now discussing it. I do not discuss these things professionally for the simple reason that I do not consider it worthwhile. I am not interested in pleasing the intellectuals by writing literary criticism, because literary criticism as an art has in these days too narrow a scope and too limited a public, just as has poetry. I do not believe it is a writer’s function to talk to a dead generation of leisured people who once had time to relish the niceties of critical thought. …. The reading public is intellectually adolescent at best, and it is obvious that what is called “significant literature” will only be sold to this public by exactly the same methods that are used to sell it toothpaste, cathartics and Automobiles

My theory has always been that the public will accept style provided you do not call it style either in words or by, as it were, standing off and admiring it. There seems to me to be a vast difference between writing down to the public (something which always flops in the end) and doing what you want to do in a form which the public has learned to accept.

There is not much point in all this pseudo-elaborate differentiation between the professional and the amateur. No such difference exists, or ever did.

[…]

All this talk about “pros” is itself sheer amateurism. There is no such thing as professionalism in writing.

I desperately want there to be Philip Marlowe videogame. Maybe there was an old moon and click somewhere. As you can tell from the lengthy of this comment I get enthusiastic when it comes to Raymon Chandler.
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
One more aside on novels and Authors, I’ve decided to collect all the Deluxe Beserk Hardcover books by Kentaro Miura. The art looks so beautiful, more in the style of French Bandes dessinées then your usual Japanese manga style.

It’s apparently the first great Japanese Dark fantasy, Taking great Inspiration from Michael moorcocks Elric of melnibone and the Works of Robert E Howard. My kinda story.

I’m sure Miura’s students will finish his story. It’s too culturally important to be left unfinished.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

I’m happy about the new trailer of Elden Ring, but, I have to be honest, the only fear I have about the game is that it could have some weird glitches because it’s an open world videogame. Cyberpunk 2077 was technically disappointing, while Death Stranding was very divisive (I’m one of those who loved it despite the plot wasn’t very good).

On one hand, I like From Software taking risks. On the other hand, this is a gamble game. There is a very real chance that this couldn’t work.

But I hope it does, because it looks fantastic.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Mikey  
That’s what I heard. I haven’t played it yet (I have to play Dark Souls III and Sekiro), but it looks stunning.

The only thing I know about the game is the monkey fight, the one from the dunkey video, and that looks really cool.
Meanlucario
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Mikey  
Maybe you never looked into his works than. It’s like how Bioware already had signs of decline before ME3’s endings, people just didn’t think to try actually learn their record and just went with what was well known.
Ring Team
Artist -

I don’t know, Miyazaki is best known as “the guy who made the Souls games”. I think it’s safe to say that most of us didn’t expect him to work on something like Armored Core.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
Just to be clear, I want Elden Ring to be great and to play it if so, I just also believe that anyone/thing can fail, and I want to make sure I’m buying due to quality (and cost when it comes to sales) and not hype.

@Ring Team  
That’s why you should look into what someone actually made instead of just what they’re most known for.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide