Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Terminal Red
Bloodborne, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman, Ghosts of Tsushima are all games that are less movie and more games though.
…says you. Since I dont own a PS4 I just watch full movie gameplay vids on Youtube and I feel like I’m playing the game.

Except for Bloodbourne. Them Souls games arent a good movie experience.
Background Pony #CEE0
Nintendo should add N64 games to the Switch Online Service.

Imagine being able to play Mario Kart 64 or Goldeneye with people online.
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Meanlucario  
Well, yes of course! BUT! hooly shit the cutscenes of modern games especially the cinematic AAA ones are always longer than an hour so I treat them like a movie. Also I don’t feel like missing anything by not playing the game, to be honest.

Besides, these AAA PS exclusive open world cinematic titles seems to make their gameplay to be nothing more than a thing to keep you busy while you’re moving from one cutscene to another. It’s not like PORTAL or competitive games where the fun is in playing the game.

When your motivation to fire up the game is the drive to complete the story, then why not just skip the gameplay and just watch the story? Some games are like that. Some games have such a familiar gameplay loop that you’re just zoning out, thinking about getting to the next cutscene.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@tehwatever
Maybe you should actually play the games instead of just watching them and thinking you understand everything about them.
everything? nah. just enough. I told you, I don’t feel like missing much, once I’ve gotten the story and cinematics and dialogues.

I don’t even pretend to understand the game. I just like to experience them cinematic goodness.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@tehwatever
Last I checked Ratchet and Clank was more platforming than cutscenes.
Terminal Red’s joke was that these big budget AAA with fully acted realistic cutscenes are SO CINEMATIC that their cutscenes and story becomes the main selling point, rather than the gameplay.

So I went with it. He wasn’t making a blanket statement about ALL, PS exclusive–come on, bruv, take a joke.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Meanlucario  
Assumption incorrect.  
I play games for the gameplay. I watch the cutscenes of games whose gameplay I’m not enjoying, or games I don’t have access to.  
Why you attacking me bro?
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Case in point: Fucking, Cyberpunk 2077.  
No way in hell am I touching that 60 dollar price point for a completely buggy and unfinished experience. Not only is my rig not enough to play it, the current-gen console can’t even handle it.

But I’m interested in the story: It’s got Keanu Reeves in it and it’s been hyped to hell and back. So I watched the cutscene movies.

What’s wrong with that?
Meanlucario
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
@tehwatever  
I don’t think you’re understanding what I’m saying. And maybe because this “joke” stopped being funny quickly and are almost as tired and repetitive as Trump jokes.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

You said that I have no idea if ppl love games for the gameplay with cinematics being a bonus. OFC I DO. I GAME, dawg!

But some games have the opposite: Boring, uninspired, run of the mill, derivative gameplay that I simply think to myself: how can I get this over with and progress to the next thing, PLEASE

Case in point: Spec Ops The Line. It’s got an amazing story but it’s just a regular cover shooter and little else. My best moments in that game was when the gameplay is enhancing THE STORY. Then what?

What do you think about games like that? whose gameplay merely serve as “padding” from one cutscene to the next?
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Meanlucario  
Correct. I could say the same about Youtube and Twitch personalities; that these people are only in the soc-med scene because they actually suck in the movie industry, like the Paul brothers.

BUT, doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy their art or their works, can I? Hey look man, I do fanarts in a pony site because I know I can’t show my shit in a proper high-culture gallery. Does it mean I suck? YES. But can ppl enjoy it anyway? YES, why not?

Point is; I appreciate video games’ cutscenes, especially the well-made ones. If the gameplay sucks then too bad but I’m not gonna sleep on the works put by these movie industry rejects.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Background Pony #CEE0  
They already are taken as seriously as movies or TV. Reason being? Cinematic video games and the fact that VG as an industry has a LOT of money circulating in it.

VG is, I believe, the pinnacle of entertainment. It is practically the peak of Audio Visual entertainment. The interactivity of video games alone makes for a much different experience from both music movies and TV. Those who sleep on VG isn’t gonna have a good time and they’ll just be grumpy boomers, ridiculed for not keeping up.

by 2021 practically half of anyone under 30 living in the first world has at least heard of VG. Hard to ignore when you got billboards literally promoting video games.

Now, these AAA high fidelity, fully acted cutscenes are trying to bridge VG with movies and TV, trying to maybe win over the movie crowd. Not happening. VG cutscenes, like Meanlucario said, aren’t up there with actual movies.

If you’re judging VG based on the live-action-quality of their cutscenes alone? Yeah it’s not there. BUT as a technical and artistic work? BRO. You’d be stupid to NOT take VG as seriously or even more seriously as movies or TV.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide