Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
@CaptainXtra
In a few years all movie scenes will have to be done in a single take because of this. Then combined with Covid live action will be dropped altogether. Then remember that all but two animated movies of the last decade have been roadtrip films. Copyright law is about to send entertainment down an inescapable toilet.
Okay…
You might wanna rephrase the first half of your statement.
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
Looks like the Game Awards won’t be taking a side on the Activision-Blizzard debacle.
Y’know, despite the fact that Geoff literally rallied against Konami when Kojima was forbidden from attending the awards in 2015.
Gee, it’s almost as if Activision payed his white-ass off…
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
Take Two won’t have a stake in court, there’s no way they’d be allowed to get away with filing so many goddamn disputes.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
Shamus Young linked to interesting video about how Mass Effect could successful going forward. It’s based upon the likes of Shamus Young, MrBtongue, Raycevich, and Lorerunner/Archengeia, and although I would obviously prefer any future Mass Effect game to retcon ME2 & 3, I have to say I’d be ok with them canonising the ‘destroy’ ending (despite paragon ‘control’ being my choice), especially after seeing MLP g5 execute a similar concept successfully. Like Gunmetal Stug said in the video, the less they talk about the specifics of the ending to ME3, the better off the sequel would be.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
Obviously. This is modern Bioware we’re talking about. I’m no longer of the opinion that any proper sequel to Mass Effect 3* is automatically doomed to failure, at least not due to the mess left by the ending. Bioware can still fuck it up due to the usual Bioware reasons, like skewed writing priorities and being unable to escape the shadow of Mass Effect 2.
*(Andromeda is more of an offshoot than a sequel)
silbasa
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Ebalosus
ME4 is rumoured to involve time travel… ME3s endings have already failed as hard as it is possible to fail storywise. Andromeda being set in another galaxy 500 years in the future was also an example of this: “shit is fubar, we have no idea what to do with the story but EA wants another ME game.”.
Such a shame what happened to ME.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
That would be a terrible idea, not only because the Mass Effect setting isn’t built to take into account time travel, but like with Andromeda is a tacit admission that they wrote themselves into a corner with Mass Effect 3.
I’m very leery of time travel stories in fiction not built around the conceit, because like SF Debris says in his review of Star Trek First Contact, if it’s something that isn’t difficult to do, then why isn’t it used more often? Most writers tacitly acknowledge that on some level, yet they will still write stories where the addition of time travel to solve a problem or create a conflict, despite that in more details-oriented settings raise a lot of questions; to the point where you can almost break the setting thus destroy narrative coherence.
Let’s go with the rumoured time travel plot in Mass Effect: say they use it to undo the Reaper threat. How exactly do you do that? Even if we retcon the idea of the Reapers being a nigh-alpha-civilisation and say they’re only 10s of millions of years old, wouldn’t eliminating them cause the Galaxy to be flooded with civilisations that would’ve otherwise been reaped?
What if we just assume they use time travel to just stop the Reapers in the latest cycle? First: I don’t think Javik would be too happy about you throwing his people under the bus. Second: when do you stop them? Before Saren? That wold only delay the inevitable, given what the sequels showed us. Before Sovereign started the Rachni Wars (pertinent part starts at 5:07)? That would have interesting implications for the development of the Galaxy, especially given the rules about opening uncharted relays and if the Krogans would even be within the galactic community. Just after the First Contact War? Sure…but it would be pretty difficult to convince everyone of the coming threat, let alone fucking time travel existing.
Regardless of when they choose to go back to, just having time travel in Mass Effect would make things very messy, and would likely invalidate player choices worse than the Indoctrination Theory.
To make a very long story short, yes, because all the problems that people complain about began in Mass Effect 2: the focus on characters and romance over story and setting, humanity being special and human secret societies being more powerful than much older alien nations, simplified dialogue trees, much less focus on the knowledge quest aspect, and the throwing away of what appeared to important plot elements from the first game (the Rachni Queen, the cipher, Ilos, the conduit, Vigil, the Thorian, et cetera).
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Ebalosus
Good questions. The rumour was not too specific on what they wanted to do. Apparently things are in a bad state after ME3 and Liara either travels back through time or brings Shepard back from the past somehow. The story is currently a dumpster fire now anyhow so I guess it doesn’t matter all that much.
ME3 was by far the worst offender here. Everything was reduced to points on a scale! The starchild… and those unfathomably bad endings. They deserved every muffin they got.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I wonder if there’s any fan of Mass Effect who consider the second one the best one apart from me. The first Mass Effect was great, but the second game was that made me fall in love with the universe even more.
Oh, and I still haven’t finished the third game. xD
Dashie41 YT

Negan Guy
I prefer Mass Effect 2 then Mass Effect 1 3 was good endings not so much and Andromeda i played for a few hours and quit then i got Mass Effect Legendary Edition with all 3 games including 1 that i never played and when did on PS4 the game was amazing still not close to Mass 2 it will be my all time favourite like Skyrim Sonic 3 Mario 64 and Megaman 2.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
Whatever the case, having another game where Shepard plays a major role would be a massive copout. The things the sequel needs least are time travel and more adventures with Shepard.
Uh, whut? Nearly everyone but me and a select few others with patrician taste considers the second game the best. Just ask Mirrorheart.
Dashie41 YT

Negan Guy
Mass effect 2 did have one flaw the final boss i loved the suicide mission getting my team alive but i hated the last boss a human reaper it was too easy and i never died from him
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
Mass Effect 2’s flaws were legion, but not Legion, as he was the best thing about ME2, and I’m still annoyed that we couldn’t romance him. Dear Bioware: please let us fuck the robot! Not EDI, because that would be weird on account of her VA’s other popular role at the time.
It’s a shame really, because even people like me who don’t care for the sequels, the characters in ME2 were by-and-large great. They aren’t particularly married to the plot we got for ME2 either, so they’d work just as well in a hypothetical ME2 remake that has a better story, and a tone and atmosphere that matches the first game.
Also, fuck thermal clips! People conflated iffy gunplay with how the guns worked in the setting, causing Bioware to ruin both.
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Something with the main story from ME1 and characters and side content handled like they were in ME2 could end up in a very happy union.
Ehh, maybe just pull a time travel stunt and reboot the entire franchise…
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
My preferred solution is to start the next Mass Effect game…right after the opening of Mass Effect. Treat everything after Shepard gets spaced as a hallucination induced by asphyxiation, and when (s)he wakes up from the coma, mentions the plots of ME2 and 3, the Virmire survivor or Liara (ME1 Liara, not the awful ME2 Liara) tells Shepard that sounds really stupid and nonsensical, and that they were in a coma after an unknown adversary ambushed them in the Traverse.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide