Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Playing Starcraft 2 now.

Pretty good, though I think I like the first better. I’unno, the first having fewer units gave clear roles and value to each, while the surplus in 2 gives a lot of overlap between units and they kinda blur together. Kinda lowers the strategy ceiling.
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
I don’t think the storyline in the new Doom games is very good. 2016 started out okay, but eternal got too comic booky and convoluted. They did to heaven and hell what the marvel movies did to the Norse gods, downplaying the supernatural and divine elements and instead making them just advanced aliens from alternate worlds who inspired Christian mythology.

The whole makyr, Davoth, samuel/samur and Vega/father thing felt incoherent, like it was made up as it went along.

Doom Eternal and it’s expansions story were the weakest part of those games. Shoulda kept it minimalistic like 2016.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
@igotnopicks  
Doom is fun to play, regardless of the game (with an exception being Doom 3). But the lack of story meant that there’s no real reason for you to push forward, which was always Doom’s biggest weakness.
RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
@Terminal Red  
Well, I can agree that Eternal put a heavy enphasis in the melee combat, to the point of being the only way to get ammo, armor and health. The problem with DOOM16 was that certain weapon upgrades can make the guns extremely op, plus the large amount of ammo you can get made things easy.

I feel ID wanted to create a Doom that is always a challenge, no matter how much you beat the game or how many upgrades you get. Yeah, the plataforming in Eternal is in my opinion something that shouldnt be there, bur they were inserted anyway, for the sake of the challenge.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -

Ayriana
@Terminal Red  
I disagree, the guns are great, you’re just encouraged to use your entire kit and keep mobile to stay alive, that’s why the dash and stuff like the swinging bars are there. In 2016 you really only need the super shotty and siege mode, every arena fight becomes a joke.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
@Terminal Red  
There’s no point in saving the princess if you don’t like her, the same if you don’t care about the world or beating the monster. Motivation matters.

Also, you can’t use the 70s as the ideal when video games weren’t even much of a thing back then. Super Mario Bros. worked because it was built on so much history with zero gaps. How many people did you think played/remembered the original 1991 Doom game before Doom 2016 released? Not me, that’s for sure.
Mikey
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Ayriana
@Scrabbleman  
Also  
How many people did you think played/remembered the original 1991 Doom game before Doom 2016 released?

A lot of people? Do you know how active the classic community was before 2016? And modding? Where have you been?
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
@Scrabbleman  
I said since the 70’s. This includes everything from then till now.

Every man and his dog remembered the original Doom so I don’t know what Afghani hidey hole youve been living in.

You dont need poorly thought out comic book madlibs featuring deep and thought prokoving characters like phychotic Body builder in a green paintball suit vs the same guy but in red to enjoy a kick ass shooter.

Gameplay always comes first. Most often, stories are window dressing and in Eternals case, bad window dressing.
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
“Super Mario Bros. worked because it was built on so much history with zero gaps.”

What does this even mean? The original arcade games had no story except “Italian man exterminates turtles and occasionally a big monkey”. Thats the extent of Mario’s history prior to super Mario.

And Nobody likes peach. Rescuing her is almost incidental to just playing a Mario game. If Mario games sucked you wouldn’t bother.
Mikey
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Ayriana
Gameplay always comes first. Most often, stories are window dressing and in Eternals case, bad window dressing.

If anything, the story in Doom Eternal(and by extension 2016), just makes me want to know more.
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
@Mikey  
The mystery is always better. Was doom guy an alien? Alternate reality human? A Betrayer out for revenge? All or none of these things? 2016 asked a lot of cool questions that didnt need answering.

Eternals answers were disappointing. And now doom guy has killed God/Satan and there’s nowhere else to take the story.

Another reboot incoming.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide