The Virus Outbreak Thread

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Take what I say here with a grain of salt as evolutionary psychology has some, rough edges.
Firstly, from a purely genetic perspective, several genes that play a role in the likelihood of developing depression also seem to be at least partially linked to stronger immune responses.
In this respect, depression is more of an unfortunate side effect of an evolutionarily advantageous genetic quirk.
Psychologically, there has been some evidence that depression makes people ruminate more. And that those who are more prone to deep rumination are natural problem solvers and better and thinking their way out of a dangerous situation. It’s also believed that the boredom and listlessness of depression and ADHD may have led to large scale human migrations.
Again, take all that with some grains. Levels of evidence vary, the former having more basis in genetic science than the latter, and there are a couple other theories. Those are just the few I know off the top of my head.
Also, you’re smarter than you think simply on the basis of a willingness to learn. Unlike some of the folks around here that are so mired in their own little piles.
Background Pony #4ED4
@Zincy
Wow! Like you said, grains of salt, but I still find this highly fascinating. I know depression isn’t “purely beneficial”, but at least I have a better understanding why it’s still with us, thanks to you.
Thanks for the compliment! I guess I’m just naturally curious or something. I can agree that I wish more people’s minds would seek truth and knowledge rather than choosing to stay in their “bubble of delusions”, if that makes sense.
Flutter_Lover
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

#WaifuLivesMatter
@ichiban iceychan 1517
Ok, then why did he funded this from various Chinese companies, Matthews Pacific Tiger Fund for 10 million dollars?
Why is the CDC not being clear of being protected from covid, no matter how effective the vaccines are?
Why is lying to Congress not considered a crime nowadays?
Why did my uncle have to die from this pandemic when it clearly was preventable from the fucking start?
Why does the world has to suffer from the lies when we get banished for simply telling the truth?
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Not going to touch the last three, but let me touch the first two.
The Matthews Pacific Tiger Fund is a pan-Asia ETF covering billions of dollars in tradable assets from almost every major economy in Asia. Japan, China, Taiwan, South Korea mainly, but also some smaller economies like the Philippines.
While it has some pharmaceutical assets, a majority of its holdings are in consumer products.
As for the second one, the CDC has been very clear. Fully vaxed and boosted individuals are extremely well protected against all previous variants, and have considerable protection against infection from Omicron, with that boosted immunity waning after 5 or 6 months. They however display an extremely resilient protection against death and hospitalization.
Vaxed but not booster have reductions in all of that, particularly if you’ve had the JJ shot, but still have very good protection against death and hospitalization.
Natural immunity has fallen short, now offering almost 0 protection against omicrons infection, but offering moderate protection against death and hospitalization.
The unvaxed and uninfected are fucked, and while omi isn’t as bad, there are still lots of people dying or ending up with long covid.
Vivace
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
Ok, so I saw this article linked by folks who claim that a CDC report states that natural immunity has a stronger protection than vaccine-induced immunity with respect to the Delta variant. Is it just me, or do the graphs in the article suggest a different story than the claims?
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
I’m not quite sure where they got that one graph from since it’s not on the paper. It’s possible they made it themselves from the data, but that line graph on the actual study really doesn’t support it.
The graph does show that vaccine alone had a higher incident rate than previous infections, but barring a printing error I don’t see that being a 6 fold difference when averaged out.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
Does anyone know if vaccines were ever distributed in the form of pills? I’ve found alot of news about experimental vaccine pills, but it’s difficult to find anything before covid.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide