The Mega Man thread!

Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@Selaphiel  
It’s not like the original has to throw hints at the X series. Pretty much everything goes belly up when in the time in between with the Maverick virus and Zero’s rampage.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Prowl  
Apparently, the ’90s Ruby Spears cartoon show had a crossover between the two, where X, and some of his enemies appeared in the modern Megaman time, so they kinda already did that.  
Not to mention, the second Sonic & Megaman crossover comic arc featured the X characters, and Sigma was the main villain.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
@Beau Skunky  
That cartoon wasn’t good but the Megaman/X crossover was seriously hype

I remember that episode was a testing ground for the possibility of a future X series. I don’t care if it was gonna be crap, the little 7 year old in me wanted more X :c

As for the comics, I heard they were really good, I need to get to them some day
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Prowl  
At least, the crossover was a li’l more true to the soyrce material then say “Captain N” was.

Similarly, the “Street Fighter” cartoon wasn’t perfect either, but it had a pretty good crossover with “Final Fight,” as well. (Though, Mike Hagger the most popular character didn’t get to do much unfortunately in it.) Capcom USA must’ve been a bit kore hands-on in these shows.

The comics were pretty good.
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Selaphiel  
I think Capcom doesn’t seem that interested in wanting to answer that question anymore. The games say they are but some people like ProfessorMegaman consider the X series to be a “what-if” continuation unless Capcom takes time out of their busy schedule to make a proper timeline confirmation to show everything that happened before the X series and everything leading up to it.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
I wouldn’t consider ProfessorMegaman (y’mean, the guy from DA, and such, right?) as a guy whom knows what he’s talking about.  
He’s the guy who insists the cornball classic Ruby Spears ’90s Megaman cartoon was “great,” yet hates the Archie Megaman comics. Why? For having original stories in between the game adaptions, and some new characters (like Quake Woman) too.  
Which is ironically what the old cartoon did, as well.

In fact, he made a cringy petition to get writer Ian Flynn fired off the Megaman comics, (how dare he make Megaman do more then blow up Robot Masters!) which hilariously only got one signature.

As for me, I actually did consider the X series as a possible canon future.
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Beau Skunky  
Same here. I seriously want to know what his standards are for making a comic book story on Mega Man. While Archie Comics aren’t so much action oriented with the kind of comics they put out, I would rather trust Ian Flynn with writing the comic rather than how ProfessorMegaman would do it.

Me too. But I think that he thinks that way because the 1997 to 2008 drought of the Classic series really did a number on his views of the entire Mega Man series. He doesn’t consider the later X games, Zero, ZX, Legends, Battle Network and Star Force to be the worst things ever but he says that they make him want to play other games that did the formats much better.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
I think they have plenty of action personally, but yeah, a comic book needs dialogue, story, and even official video game comics need more then just “game story adaptations/tie-in.” (Otherwise, it just becomes a shallow advertisement, and you might as well play the games instead.) So some liberties, and new stories are needed.

Honestly aside from the intro slideshow scenes, and instruction manuals, most Megaman games don’t have much story anyway besides a variation on, “beat all the robot master bosses so you can get to Wiley, and stop his latest plans.”  
So they can’t just have Megaman fight robot masters every issue, and eventually they’d run out of games to adapt if they did do them every issue. (Ian remarked he doesn’t have plans for a “Megaman Soccer” issue.)  
Some fans unfortunately don’t realize this… Ironically, I see some fans demonize Ian for making his comics “too much like the games.” Which is it?

Yeah, the professor is kinda a classic purist. Which is fine, I kinda prefer the Classic games myself, (and I didn’t care for the Battle Network games either) buuuut he kinda has an annoying egotistical view on his own opinions, and such. Especially, if he thinks a mere online petition can get somebody fired. (Honestly, those rarely ever work.)  
So while he’s a good artist, and all, I don’t know what to think about him.

That said, I agree Ian Flynn has been a good writer for both Sonic & Megaman, he’s not perfect, but he is good, and unlike writers for game adaptation cartoons/comics from the ’80s & ‘90s, he actually knows alot about the lore, characters, franchises, and games. He even sometimes has in-jokes for fans. (Like Air Man stating, “YOU CAN’T BEAT ME!”)
09MurphyM

@Beau Skunky  
Yeah, you would not even realize that the robot masters themselves each have their own unique personalities if you just played through the games and didn’t bother to check out reference guides like the robot masters field guide or any of the complete works books published by UDON.
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Passionate opinionator
@Beau Skunky  
His standards for what would make a good Mega Man comic book are confusing. I’m sure he’s read tons and tons of comic books in the past and they have solidified his comic book standards but I don’t think the standards he is looking for would fit for the Mega Man series. If you want, I can link to his pic where he had cancelled his subscription to the Mega Man comic so you can read pic description and comments about his “standards”. (For anyone else who wants to see it too, PLEASE don’t flame/troll ProfessorMegaman or even redirect him to this thread! Talking about others is already a risky topic!)

That’s what I dislike about him. He’s a fine artist and very talented. But his views on games? UGH. He’s one of the reasons why I can’t help but see retro gamers in a bitter light. I bet it would even be torture for him to say at least one good thing about a 3D Sonic game.

He’s even said in-jokes for the fans doesn’t sound like a “true adaption” or something like that. God, what a confusing brat.

@09MurphyM  
Yeah! I really like it when games add a bit of fleshing out towards characters whom you never expected to get this sort of treatment.
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Pomegranates :P
@Marx  
MMBN3 is the one I’m most familiar with. I think that’s the one the anime depicted up until the middle of the Nebula arc. That’s where Lab began using the MMBN4 model.

Funny how the BN1 version looks the closest to a modern day smartphone. Only to have the thing evolve into some Tamogachi Digivice looking contraptions in the latter games.

Until the BN4 time. Wired jacks were the standard. Then they started using wireless.

Btw.  
They look like PokeDexes now that I look at them.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
Ironically, doesn’t he do in-jokes in his fanart too? It’s odd, fans think some things are only ok in fan-works. (To quote Matt/Gathion, a friend of mine, “It’s all fun and games, until it becomes canon.”) I’ve seen his standards, and frankly I don’t understand them, no offense to him.

Though, please don’t see all retro gamers in a bitter light. I’m actually a huuuge retro gamer myself, (I even have a mini official working Rampage, Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig-Dug, & such toy arcade games on my desk that I got from Walmart) and we’re not all like that.

I will admit retro-purists can be annoying. There’s some MM fans like that too, whom only like the first few NES MM games.  
Kinda wish both retro-purists and modern gamers would be open to games not from their generation. I like modern games, and games from before I was born.
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Passionate opinionator
@Beau Skunky  
Maybe? Its been a while since I’ve looked at his stuff.  
Me neither. I think it boils down to that he doesn’t like Archie comics and Ian Flynn for no reason. Well, Archie comics maybe due to how he lost interest in their Sonic comics.  
You know, part of me feels like a hypocrite about all of this. With how PM is all uppity with his standards on what he wants to see for a Mega Man comic, I feel like I’m not any better with my standards for what I want to see in an MLP:FiM comic.

Don’t worry. I know you aren’t like those gamers. We’ve talked about and confirmed that in the past. I’ve been playing games since I was a toddler and was given an NES and SNES from my relatives at that time. I have experience with every generation of gaming but admittedly, I haven’t put in enough time in retro gaming. Most of my game time is spent on recently released games and I really want to put in some older/classic games in my gamelog. I have NES Online for my Switch and the most I’ve done with that so far is put some effort in River City Ransom, despite sucking at it.

Same here. I actually like the later MM games more than Mega Man 2.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
I believe he said he hates the Archie Sonic non-game characters, so he’s kinda a game-purist. (Ironically, some fans demonize Ian for making the Sonic/Megaman comics “too much like the games.”)

It’s ok, we all have our own standards. It’s a shame the IDW MLP comics have gotten so controversial, as they used to be beloved by the fanbase in the earlier days. I hope they get better. (I can’t judge as I haven’t read them in a long time.)

I still love retro games, I think I play them more then modern, but I like some modern ones too. I need to get a Switch though.  
I think MM2 is my favorite retro MM, simply because it has an easier mode.

River City Ransom is good, though you kinda have to grind for coins alot to buy upgrades. The game gets pretty easy once you’ve gotten the multi-hit attacks, and such. It’s kinda clever how it blends the “beat ’em up” genre with some RPG elements.  
Also, enemies shouting “BARF!”
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Passionate opinionator
@Beau Skunky  
He’s hardly a game purist if he dislikes the rest of the Sonic cast unless they’re the old school versions of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Egg-I mean ROBOTNIK. I can show link you to his old DA forum post on who he chose as the worst Sonic characters,

Thanks. The biggest problem is that even back before the comics got way controversial, I’ve even noticed questionable choices they’ve made the characters say and do. Why do these artists like giving everypony stink eyes? They’re not the type of characters to do those.

That’s fine. I’m the opposite though mainly because I live with a very tech-forward family or it could be that newer things fascinate me more.  
Its surprising that the easier difficulty wasn’t a staple feature for every game in the series until the way later titles. As long as easier difficulty modes aren’t insultingly easy like MM10’s Easy Mode, then I’m fine with them.

Coin grinding is hard since there aren’t any free HP restores in the game and you lose half of your money when you die. I played this game without using a guide to feel like I could get everything done on my own but looking at how I’ve done even with the amount of progress I’ve made, I think I should restart while using a guide to help me suck less. One thing I tried doing is only buying only the foods that I liked in real life as a challenge but it seems I will miss out on important stat buffs like that.  
Still, I love it when games add RPG elements. Recently, I’ve been watching another game series that includes those.  
Yep. Even the next entry in the River City series is gonna have enemies exclaim “BARF!”
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
I don’t think I should, but I’m guessing he hates almost every character who aren’t the main ones.

I don’t think I remember the “stink eyes,” but I wasn’t too bothered by the earlier MLP issues.

I didn’t think MM10’s easier was that bad, it kinda prepares you for the harder modes. MM11’s ones are probably better handled though.

In River City Ransom, if you buy some food items to go, you can use them to heal yourself, and there are weapons that can help you too, and such.  
Interestingly, Wayforward (Shantae/Ducktales Remastered) are making a new River City game, only it stars the girl characters instead apparently.
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Passionate opinionator
@Beau Skunky  
Unfortunately(or fortunately if you want to look at it that way.), I can’t seem to find the DA Forum thread where he posted his choices. But I remember who were on there as well as the top five choices.  
Not even the main ones are safe as he only likes their old school versions.

There’s character interaction issues that I had problems with even back in the earlier issues as well as Andy Price going way too overboard with illustrating some scenes.

Covering up all the bottomless pits doesn’t seem like they’re preparing you for the harder modes.

I’m aware of buying food to go and the weapons. But I still think I should look at a guide to see which foods and weapons are the most efficient.  
I’ve seen the trailer for that game and I like the idea behind it. Also, Wayforward confirmed that “BARF!” would still be in that game.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
I’d almost rather not know, as I tire of that “ever character is bad, but Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik” mentality many retro-Sonic-purists have. The MM fanbase doesn’t have that many fans like that. (Does it?)

I like Andy Price’s work, but yeah sometimes he goes overboard.

They don’t cover all of them actually, they just give you a li’l extra room to practice your jumps.

I think Wayforward understands what gamers like.
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Passionate opinionator
@Beau Skunky  
That’s fine.  
Well….PM does dislike Zero a lot. Which is ironic because Zero is one of Keiji Inafune’s favorite characters of the entire Mega Man series.

Yeah. Whenever he puts words as part of the background and overly details expressions, it really takes me out of the comic.

Eh, I still prefer how MM2 covered difficulty.

Good to hear. We need more company mentalities like that.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide