The downfall of TGWTG or Channel Awesome

Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Dr_Osaka

You’re right, but I feel that those dates can be a bit of a messy ledger given what the likes of Doug reviews. He, like me and others of his age group, is also intimately familiar with both Tom and Jerry and the Loony Toons, which are from decades before we were born. I’d imagine just like here in NZ, stuff like that was still being broadcast in child-friendly time slots even if only to fill broadcasting gaps while channels waited for more Duck Tales, He-Man, and Nicktoons to get made.

I bring it up because even stuff older than him could be ‘properly’ reviewed in terms of nostalgia, because for him, it would be a nostalgic part of his childhood.
The Glim Glam
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Glim Glam Fam~
@Ebalosus

That did not age well, I tried to give him the benefit of doubt but he seems to label a lot of things as Fascist

I noticed Lewis is doing that, his constant references of it in the Batman: The Dark Night Returns really felt uncomfortable and forced in.
HeadlessHorselessHorseman

Why does everyone hate on Linkara so much? He’s acknowledged that Lightbringer was a dumb comic and he’s not that proud of it now. He’s learned from experience, and even if he hadn’t, I wouldn’t be comfortable with making fun of him over it.

Was it the AdBlock thing? I mean…AdBlock does deprive him of revenue, and I’d take ads over paying directly for content, so I can’t blame him for saying something. It’s not like he criticized anyone for not donating to his Patreon.

I just don’t understand why people act like he’s on par with the worst tweets of Lindsay Ellis and ObscurusLupa just because he’s part of #ChangeTheChannel. Even if he’s become more critical of TGWTG as time has gone by, he’s not hateful, he’s not toxic, and at no point, as far as I can tell, has he ruled out any good faith dialogue with the other side.
The Glim Glam

Glim Glam Fam~
@HeadlessHorselessHorseman

I think it’s because he’s such an easy target for some. He’s known for being super passionate about comics and this whole “calling out treatment of women in comics and such” tend to be seen as fake.

I think it had also had to do with the infamous Power Rangers rant over people bugging him over the “When is the next episode of HOPR?” joke.

While I don’t agree with his recent stuff of going hardcore left winger, compared to others, he’s at least more nicer than those of Lindsay or Kyle.

Hell I was expecting stuff about him to come out during the CTC drama but everyone said he tried to help them while on the site.
HeadlessHorselessHorseman

@The Glim Glam  
I do have an idea of where some of the complaints come from (I’ve complained about certain aspects of his show in the past myself), but if the worst thing you can say about the guy is that he’s overenthusiastic, we should consider ourselves lucky.

To be honest, I find the overlap between anti-CTC and alt-right/channer/lolcow culture to be disconcerting. MovieBob (vindictive, self-righteous, and hypocritical though he may be) had a point when he compared the alt-right to high school bullies.
Background Pony #DC12
Double Toasted recently did an interview with Doug Walker that addressed several of his controversies, including OneyPlays making fun of him, the backlash towards the Nostalgia Critic review of Pink Floyd: The Wall, and of course the #ChangeTheChannel scandal. The full interview can be found here, but if you just want to see the moments I mentioned, Double Toasted also posted separate clips of them. Links to those can be found below.

DOUG WALKER (NOSTALGIA CRITIC) REACTS TO ONEYPLAYS  
DOUG WALKER ON NOSTALGIA CRITIC’S REVIEW OF PINK FLOYD: THE WALL  
CHANNEL AWESOME SCANDAL YEARS LATER
Dr_Osaka
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Sata Andagi!
@Background Pony #DC12

I get where Doug is coming from with his review talking about wanting it to be something of a production that can also be critiqued as well but I still think it’s a problem when you are trying to review something AND give you’re own personal thoughts on how you feel about it. This is why Doug should have just done something more like RiffTrax or MST3000 because at least that way he’s just making jokes and not trying to actually make points about why the movie didn’t work (or why it didn’t work for him).  
I also stopped watching his videos for the soul reason that he makes money off of views, doesn’t even matter if you watch the video all the way through all he has to do is create a thumbnail for a topic and that’s it. If other people do Let’s Watch of his videos I might watch it since I’m not contributing to Doug, though the problem then is having to suffer through his awful critiques and jokes.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
Looks like the Spoony Experiment is definitively over now, as Noah hasn’t tweeted in a week, and his house is up for sale. (no, this isn’t doxxing, as no one lives there now; and doxxing isn’t allowed on the subreddit the link goes to, nor on Reddit itself).

Whether Noah will return to social media, or be added to the pantheon of “he was here, now he’s gone” youtubers of yore, remains to be seen…
Angrybrony
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

🔥Sunset is best girl🔥
@The Glim Glam  
it is the first step after all. i do hope one day he gets help for his issues but i’d be lying if i thought he’d ever come back to youtube even if he did.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
So I just found out that Doug is apparently reviewing Kingdom Hearts for Disneycember which is something I thought he would never do but it only took him what 15 years to finally get around to it (and unfortunately it had to be when I stopped giving a shit about him and his content)
I will say I’m intrigued but all worried about him finally talking about KH mainly because it looks like he is only talking about 1, 2, and 3 and let’s just say you’re not gonna understand a lot of what’s going on if you just skip over the other games. I mean yes they tell their stories out of order and it tends to be a bit complicated at times but even then if you enjoy the franchise then I feel like it’s important (not to mention Doug is missing out on all the new worlds that were added to Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance)
Basically what I’m saying is I don’t want him criticizing the game for the wrong reasons.
With that said Doug’s review of KH1 is fine, he makes some good points about the story, visuals, and gameplay; and while I do agree the controls can be a little wonky even on a newer console he should keep in mind this came out on PS2 and was the first KH game ever made so there are gonna be some problems with the platforming and whatnot (Nomura wanted to make something that could rival Super Mario 64 after all)
One last thing I wanted to say is I understand that Doug is not a gamer or at least not a hardcore gamer so I get his frustration with JRPGs, which disappoints me because this means Doug will never play games like Earthbound, Final Fantasy VII , Persona 5, or any number of Pokemon titles.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
@northern haste
Well I suppose that’s true, I mean it is kinda hard to sum up a huge game like Kingdom Hearts in a 12 minute video, I can understand that length for something small like DuckTales on NES or Lion King on SNES but you kinda need to dedicate more time to games that have lots of content in them especially since we all don’t want to just sit through Doug’s let’s plays just to hear his thoughts on every little thing going on in the game.
Background Pony #1509
Anyone notice there hasn’t been a clipless Nostalgia Critic review in over two years? Part of me wants to believe it’s because Doug saw the negative reception towards the Pink Floyd: The Wall video and realized just how many people don’t like the clipless reviews. However, the more likely reason is because the pandemic made it difficult for him to make those types of reviews, and he decided to put them on hold until things died down. Seeing as how Doug and the rest of his crew returned to the Channel Awesome studio a few months ago, I feel like it’s only a matter of time before he does another one.
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Dr_Osaka
Doug is SERIOUSLY skipping the other entries of the series and only going by the numbered games?! That is only going to spell disaster for him since its clear that ALL Kingdom Hearts games are canon and all have important stuff between them. Unless he loves looking like an unprofessional klutz, which given his track record, he is very good at doing so.
And he’s only doing this just because of his love for the Disney brand? This is more of a me thing but sometimes I just feel like its pointless to be a fan of Disney these days due to the common opinion of everybody seeing Disney as a corporate tyrant who only care about owning everything. So whenever he is appalled by a crummy Disney product as the Nostalgia Critic assuming that Disney should know better, I’m like “Pfft! Disney knowing better? What kind of drugs are you on?”
It blows because those games are very beloved in gaming culture and he’ll never get a chance to play them. Well, we know Pokémon is out of the question obviously.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
@Red-Supernova
I hear you, I grew up playing Kingdom Hearts and while I mostly did because it had my favorite Disney movies in it at the same time I also liked the original characters that were made for the game and I was invested in their stories and wanted to see what would happen to them moving forward, I also enjoyed seeing Final Fantasy characters in the games as well since I played those growing up as well (oh and Doug didn’t even mention there were FF stuff in the game which again goes to show how uncultured he is about video games)
@Background Pony #1509
It could be because of Covid, it could have been because of the Pink Floyd review, we don’t really know the answer but one thing that can be said about the clipless reviews is that it seemed like he was doing them to avoid copyright strikes; a lot of clipless reviews included movies like Jurassic World, Batman V Superman, and Wonder Woman which he would do reviews for follow up movies like Fallen Kingdom, Justice League, and Wonder Woman ’84 which were not clipless reviews.
Either way I never liked his Demo Reel stuff so personally I prefer he stay away from that style anyways.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
So Doug finally got to Kingdom Hearts III

This was the one I was worried about the most because skipping over the other titles will lose you in what’s going on in the story, but apparently he watched a video or something to catch up on what was going on (not the best way of doing things but whatever) and decided to review it as it’s own thing which I do admire a bit because 3 does get hate on a lot by everyone and I understand just as well as anyone why so.
KHIII is/was pretty much Duke Nukem Forever in that there was so much hype built around it that of course once it finally came out it would inevitably get criticized for not living up to all the hype, but as someone who loves these games and am just happy to see a new one come out I’m perfectly fine with what I’m given cause even if the story isn’t perfect or the gameplay isn’t topnotch they still give me what I love about playing these games overall. It’s no different then my love for Sonic the Hedgehog, not every game is gold but I still play them no matter what because I support the series for what it is.
So yeah Doug thankfully didn’t botch this one entirely (though that doesn’t mean he’s off the hook for all the other shit he’s done)
Also Doug reviewed Disney’s Mighty Joe Young this year, ho-boy
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Dr_Osaka
When the original Kingdom Hearts came out, I’m not surprised everybody picked up because all of their favorite Disney movies and characters were in it. That OG Kingdom Hearts commercial was the bane of my existence back in the day due to me being a big Nintendo fan and had no interest in investing in a PS2. Though looking back, I don’t think it would have been a bad investment since the PS2’s DVD component did contribute a lot to its success and having at least one game series to follow would have been worth learning the PlayStation controls.
I’m sure I would have gotten more accustomed to Final Fantasy earlier before Record Keeper entered my life and I would have shown strong investments into the original characters as well.
(Figures. He doesn’t really have the time to play all of those games but some research and acknowledgement would have been nice.)
@Dr_Osaka
He still should have played the other games regardless I mean it would have been more Disney-related content for Disneycember after all. But I’m sure the alternate gameplay styles of each side game would have been too much for his feeble brain to comprehend.
Yeah, I remember visiting my local Gamestop when KH3 dropped. The hype was that big.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide