The downfall of TGWTG or Channel Awesome

Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@TheHappySpaceman  
My first response to all of this would be “Go to bed Lindsey, you’re drunk.” but the bitter and jaded adult in me has to question if all comedy has to come at the expense of someone else’s misery, and there are people who are very, VERY for that belief.
HeadlessHorselessHorseman

@Red-Supernova  
Same. I don’t go for “punching up vs. punching down” moralizing, and plenty of good comedy does come at someone else’s expense, but it’s far, far too reductive to say that all of it does (even Family Guy, dark and mean-spirited as it always is, has plenty of segments that are just absurd). The Nostalgia Critic doesn’t really follow his own rule; the bits in his videos that I remember making me laugh the hardest never had much to do with him suffering as such.

When it came to Looney Tunes, the screenwriters realized fairly quickly that someone as pathetic as Elmer Fudd wasn’t an ideal victim. My favorite antagonists for Bugs have always been Yosemite Sam and Daffy Duck, and they almost always deserve his ire.

It doesn’t help that, obviously, cartoon characters can take infinite amounts of abuse and still be raring to go. The real people featured in “cringe compilations” can’t.

To the extent that cringe culture can be rooted in the ’90s, it probably owes quite a bit more to Jerry Springer and Maury Povich than Animaniacs.
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@HeadlessHorselessHorseman  
The best Nostalgia Critic moments to me as well were also not related to suffering. It was more of overreacting to the flawed logic in certain movies.

Yeah, the early Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd cartoons weren’t always pleasant to watch. (Looking at you Elmer’s Candid Camera!) Yosemite Sam and Chuck Jones’ version of Daffy Duck are way better as antagonists for Bugs.

How was Mary Povich “cringe culture” of the 90s? I know Jerry Springer due to some of the people being interviewed have been each other.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Angrybrony

It’s either that, or sticking to a premise at the expense of better opportunities. In Linkara’s case, a criticism of him is that he’s too focused on AT4W in lieu of a more consistent schedule of Power Rangers stuff, or talking about stuff that comics fans are interested in.
Angrybrony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

🔥Sunset is best girl🔥
@Ebalosus  
he was pretty up front about HOPR was a side project so it doesn’t need a schedule. he’s opened up a patron so people can make requests, he wants to do AT4W let him do it.

and “talking about stuff that comics fans are interested in.” what’s that even mean?
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Angrybrony

Him sticking with AT4W is fair enough…as long as he understands how limiting it is and doesn’t complain about income from it. Like with the Nostalgia Critic, the premise alone is quite limiting (though not as limiting as misguided nostalgia), as it’s all about bad comics and nothing else…which would be fine if the comics industry wasn’t imploding.

As pointed out on Kiwifarms, him restricting himself to just reviewing bad comics as his main draw definitely hurts his ability to both grow as a creator and the audience he has will dwindle as a result. His view numbers during the height of TGWTG weren’t great at all, and in hindsight it’s easy to see why Inked Reality wasn’t spun off like Blistered Thumbs was, as Linkara was basically the Doug of bad comic reviews.

Him being the Doug of bad comic reviews in-and-of-itself is not a bad thing mind you, but it does mean that his main show can come off as a bit of a relic of the internet of yore. I’ve enjoyed some of his AT4W videos, despite not being into comics, and have enjoyed the stuff he’s made when he branches out…which is what I’m getting at: he can do good stuff outside of AT4W, thus him sticking to it as his main show isn’t that necessary as it used to be. SF Debris’ main videos are his Trek reviews, but even these days he only releases them three Saturdays a month, with him switching out for the myriad of other sci-fi things he reviews on the remaining Saturdays.

As for the aforementioned “other stuff,” most Kiwifarmers infer that to mean media related to comics like television and movie adaptions, and talking about or reviewing the changes and what they brought over from them in the adaptions. It’s not like it’s unfamiliar territory for him, since he reviewed that Justice League pilot with Nash that I saw on the movie channels when I lived in Aus, and it’s one of my favourite videos from him.

Overall, the general criticism of him is that he’s too locked into the old ways of doing things, and gets all bitchy whenever people suggest he mix things up a bit.
TenaciousDreamer2nd

@Ebalosus  
So you mean like how he reviewed episodes of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Tremors, and episodes from superhero cartoons like Teen Titans, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Iron Man? He should be branching into that more often?
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
Why when I see Brad Jones has a video up of The Witches,I get all excited and have a blast watching his video,but then I see Doug Walker doing a Witches vid and just groan?
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
You know for someone who seems to be a major fan of Disney, Doug has never said anything about Kingdom Hearts; not in his Disneycember series, not in his reviews of anything Disney, not in his Top 11 lists, not even in editorials like “Is Goofy Secretly Badass?” or “Disney Sequels We Want.”

I don’t get why he’s never acknowledged it’s existence, even if he’s not a gamer that doesn’t mean it still can’t be referenced especially since it has only the most classic Disney has to offer. If it’s a matter of not having time to play all the games there are such things as “Let’s Plays” and “Cutscenes” to help you get invested without playing the game. If he does it to avoid getting on the fans badside and tons of comments from the fanbase I suppose that makes sense not that it’s stop him from saying negative things about classics like The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Mulan so what does it matter. If the series is too confusing that’s also understandable I mean even James Rolfe talked about it in his chronologically confused video (Just another reason to watch James instead cause HE at least acknowledged the series), but honestly if Doug can follow movies like Tron and Final Fantasy Spirits Within which also have complicated stories I don’t see how KH is any less hard to follow; Then again his review of Pink Floyd’s the Wall is anything to go by then it would just be bad regardless (Plus Doug is pretty incompetent even if the movie is bare bones anyways)

Honestly I don’t know, but maybe it’s better he doesn’t talk about it.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@The Glim Glam

Pretty much. Him sticking to what he knows would also go over a lot better if he wasn’t such a snivelling bitch about things like adblockers or how his fan base isn’t paying him enough to cover his taxes.

I do believe that such behaviour is also hurting his growth, because there are people with a twentieth of his audience who make roughly the same per month as him, and who are very grateful for the audience they have. Hell, even latter-day TGWTG additions like Dom Noble have more than twice the patrons and YouTube subscribers than him.

Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he’s the next TGWTG alumni to shit the bed.
The Glim Glam

Glim Glam Fam~
@Ebalosus

I really hope that isn’t the case, but considering how obnoxious he’s become with political shite too lately on Twitter (seriously, the amount of retweets of “lol Tucker Carlson’s confused face” got old fast…), He’s gonna be in the similar route to Lupa.
Background Pony #3D14
@Dr_Osaka  
I have the feeling because he doesn’t know much about the series he doesn’t want to look into it, especially because he does the barest minimum when it comes to researching something he’s not familiar with.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
@northern haste  
Honestly I don’t get why he does these videos if he’s already talked about them during Disneycember, does he really have more to say or is it just an excuse to make more cringey jokes? (actually I already know the answer to that)

In fact that’s actually one of the problems with his Jungle Book 2016 Re-review is that you’d think he would talk about it again because he realized why so many audiences and critics love it and maybe also talk about the Andy Serkis Mowgli film in comparison, but instead he just continues questioning why everybody likes it and tells people to read the original, seriously does this guy even read the comments on his videos at all?
Background Pony #7FB7
@Dr_Osaka  
Doug: “Fan Hating is wrong!”  
Also Doug: “Why do people like this movie/show?! Since I don’t like it you’re clearly wrong for liking it!”
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
@The Glim Glam  
Everybody is entitled to their opinions on how they feel about something, Doug especially. The problem though is that he tries to twist his opinions into facts to make it look like he is correct and his audience is wrong.  
That and he also tries to use comedy as an excuse to not bother with research and to entertain; now I personally believe that comedy is subjective meaning that different people are gonna find different things funny, but one thing that can be said about comedy is that it takes more then good writing you have to also be charming and know how to pull something off and sadly Doug just doesn’t have that, he’s loud, obnoxious, condescending, hypocritical, and egotistical and this just does not make me side with him.
Background Pony #BC65
So Doug put out a preview video for this year’s Disneycember, and a good chunk of it is him jumping on the “2020 IS THE WORST YEAR EVER” bandwagon, complaining about how horrible it was and how he needs Disneycember as a coping mechanism. Maybe this is just me, but after listening to people rant about 2020 all year long, I’ve gotten really annoyed by it. If anything, the thing I’m looking forward to the most about 2020 ending is that I won’t have to listen to people complain about it anymore. I understand this year has been difficult for a lot of people, but I’d really prefer not to be hit over the head with negativity at every possible opportunity.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
@Background Pony #BC65  
The funny thing about Doug is that he usually has to always jump on what is the hot topic, when the original Sonic trailer came out that’s all he talked about was how awful the original design was like we’re supposed to give a shit what he thinks, he doesn’t even like Sonic half the time.

Also side note Doug released a review of Sucker Punch which I won’t make a big deal out of since I didn’t like the movie much anyways, aside from the fantasy sequences with the girls kicking ass I thought a lot of the movie was boring and not that engaging personally. But with that said I am sick of Doug’s comments towards Zack Snyder, it’s really getting old and quite honestly I think Doug only rips on him because he directed Man of Steel and was involved in other DC movies otherwise he probably wouldn’t have any reason to even acknowledge him as a director.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide