The downfall of TGWTG or Channel Awesome

Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Dex Stewart

I’m of two minds about it: on the one hand, he didn’t grow up with it, thus wouldn’t understand the appeal of such a movie; but on the other, he did grow up around it, thus may be able to get the appeal through osmosis, and therefore not sound like an ignorant or dismissive outsider when talking about it.
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@northern haste  
Goddammit. This is clearly on my “DO NOT EVER REVIEW” movie list right next to The Simpsons Movie. But why aside from money is he even talking about this movie in the first pl-looks at the video’s comments revealing that Doug likes this movie…..what?!
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Dr_Osaka  
UGH. I really don’t want him to make an episode about the Sonic movie.  
Also I watched the beginning of the Detective Pikachu episode and it starts with the Critic being told by Chester A. Bum that the Pokémon bashing is considered a running gag and it has completely ran its course.
Dr_Osaka
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Sata Andagi!
@Red-Supernova  
Ugh fine I guess I’ll give him a pass for at least finally putting an end to that dumb joke, I mean I’d rather he not move onto another target but at least he actually didn’t rag on this movie and gave it a fair shot. Doesn’t mean the review is good though, just means there is little to get mad at.

But with that said I’m still don’t trust him to talk about the Sonic Movie though.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dr_Osaka  
@Red-Supernova  
Me neither, especially sense some so-called “critics” online were bashing it, without ever seeing it, AND after the improved redesign. (Some bashed it for that too, “People only saw it, because of the redesign!”)

Not to mention, Sonic & his fans are is still treated as a joke online, though surprisingly the movie redeemed him a li’l.

In fairness, the NC was surprisingly positive about the cult-classic original Sonic SatA.M. TV series. (The one with Sally & such.)
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
@Beau Skunky  
Doug said something positive about one Sonic show and that was it, he hated AoStH, didn’t really care much for the OVA and pretty much stated in one of his top 10 lists that he wouldn’t review any of the other shows so obviously I doubt he has enough good things to say about the 2020 film, not to mention what he said about the film in his editorial about movie patches straight up saying that even with the redesign the movie was still gonna be bad which is a very bold claim to make before the actual movie came out and honestly not only was the film actually great but the fans, critics and box office pretty much proved him wrong.

Also without watching a review he does, I can pretty much point out so many of the things that he would complain about:  
  1. James Marsden driving in a car with a cgi animal like in Hop  
  2. The product placements  
  3. The one fart joke and any other childish jokes  
  4. The fact that Sonic is in a car most of the movie and not running like in the games  
  5. The slow motion scene which is similar to X-Men Days of Future Past  
  6. The movie taking itself seriously despite it being about a giant blue talking hedgehog  
  7. No one in the bar seeing through Sonic obvious disguise  
  8. And finally making comparisons to what the movie would have been like if they kept the first design.  
    I don’t need to watch his video to know this is what he will most likely say about the film, and as Robotnik said himself  
    full
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Dr_Osaka  
I don’t have a problem if someone does a negative review of something I like,but if their complaints are based on bias, misinformation or if they’re just wrong,then I don’t like it.  
Also I don’t like when someone let’s behind the scenes issues crowd their review.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart  
Agreed, negativity based on ignorance, or bias doesn’t make a good review.  
(Like all those guys whom claimed “Lost Levels” was better then SMB2, and SMB2 was a “bad game,” just because “SMB2 USA isn’t the real SMB2,” despite it, and “Doki Doki Panic” still being made by the same Mario team, being aproved/made by Nintendo, and Miyamoto himself saying he prefers the USA version of SMB2.)

@Dr_Osaka  
not to mention what he said about the film in his editorial about movie patches straight up saying that even with the redesign the movie was still gonna be bad which is a very bold claim to make before the actual movie came out and honestly not only was the film actually great but the fans, critics and box office pretty much proved him wrong.

Yeesh, what a schmuck, and yeah I’m glad all the critics, and such were proven wrong about the movie, and the majority liked it. Even some whom aren’t big Sonic fans found it enjoyable, even “Detective Pikachu” fans whom were trying to demonize it to make their movie look better in comparison admitted it’s good later.

Even James Rolfe (the AVGN) liked it, and said it’s something he’d love to watch with his kids.

And yeah, you can pretty much predict how an entire NC episode of the Sonic movie would go.  
You also forgot #9: Screaming about, “How is this like the video game?!” over and over again.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
@Dex Stewart  
Yeah that’s a fair point, plus one thing that is annoying is when Doug talks about something he is incredibly knowledgeable about like Batman or TMNT but then goes into other things completely blind like Pokemon or Sailor Moon; I understand he can’t do tons of research on everything like he did with Avatar the Last Airbender but if he’s gonna be talking about things that are nostalgic as well as things that people like then a little bit more research wouldn’t hurt.

@Beau Skunky  
Oh yeah that’s actually a good point, as well as another stupid thing for him to complain about because if you are adapting something to film usually there are gonna be changes, and for the record they kept a lot of things about the game true while still making it feel more realistic.  
Plus I doubt Doug has ever played any of the Sonic games before so what does he know if it’s like the actual game or not, I mean he wasn’t even aware that most of what went on in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show was actually based more on SMB2 US then the first game.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dr_Osaka  
I found his SMB Super Show review a bit biased/unresearched too, because he got alot of things wrong about it too. Like he claimed it had no stable story, even though every episode beginning has Mario’s satirical “Plumber’s Log” narration (a nod/parody to Star Trek) explain why they were traveling to other lands, and such, to find a way to liberate the Mushroom Kingdom from King Bowser Koopa. (Or in some cases to raise money for the Mushroom Kingdom orphanage.)  
He also complained that Bowser was called “King Koopa” in it, unaware that’s actually what Bowser is called originally in Japan, and some early merchandise. (Like how Princess Toadstool was originally “Peach,” and Dr. Robotnik was “Dr. Eggman” in Japan, so they changed those in America too, but Bowser had the opposite happen. They mistakenly mistranslated his name as “King of the Koopa,” so NOA mistakenly thought that’s what his race and race of his turtle monster army was, and gave that name to the “Koopa Troopas,” and Koopalngs instead. And it’s too late to “fix” that now, as everyone outside Japan knows the character as “Bowser Koopa” now.)

Also, a bit unfair he praised the Zelda cartoon in it, and had literally no criticisms, or satire of it, even though it was just as corny, and maybe even worse in some ways. (Like the King of Hyrule, Zelda’s father being a complete dumbass.) And believe me, there’s just as much to make fun of in it.  
“Excuuuuuuuse me, Princess!”

That aside, I still love the cornball classic “Super Show,” (I even created the “Super Mario Cartoons” club on DA) including the Zelda episodes, so maybe I have some bias/dislike of seeing the NC exaggerate how “bad” the show was.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
@Beau Skunky  
Yeah same, I don’t care what Doug or anyone else says I love the Mario shows, they are corny but they are fun and at least they look more like the actual games unlike the live action movie. The Legend of Zelda I’m not to big on mainly because I felt with that show they should have taken it a bit more seriously like Teen Titans or Avatar the Last Airbender.

When it comes to video games in general Doug is pretty bad at talking about them, I’ve seen all of his Mario related videos and while some are decent a lot of them show he hasn’t moved beyond the NES era at all and talks about pointless things like the fact that in one game Peach uses crying as an ability (I bet Doug just googled “Peach Crying” and went with the first image that came up) but if Doug actually played the damn game he’d know that there’s a magical item that cause everyone in the Mushroom Kingdom to lose control of their emotions and Peach uses these powers to help save Mario and her kingdom, I get what Doug was trying to say but I feel like he’s still being a bit sexist.

There’s also his editorial on the subject of “Are Video Games Art?” which he makes some decent points about but really doesn’t explore the subject cause if he did then he would have know about games like  
Earthbound  
Undertale  
Kingdom Hearts  
Persona  
Final Fantasy  
Cuphead  
even later Mario and Zelda games which can be very much considered works of art. (and yes I’m aware he released that video back in like 2012 but still)
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dr_Osaka  
Agreed, and yeah maybe Zelda should’ve been more serious, even if the games have some goofy things, they’re more serious then Mario.

Yeah, I don’t think Doug knows alot about gaming or gamer culture. At least, James Rolfe admits he doesn’t know everything about games, and admits he’s more of a movie history buff.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart  
Yeah, his old stuff was pretty good.

Nintendo Power magazine actually ranked “Bebe’s Kids” as the worst game ever on a Nintendo system in their 100th special issue.  
In a later anniversary/milestone issue, they chose “Superman 64.”
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart  
Yeah, that was a bad one. I thought the “Great Waldo Search” on NES was better. (Which is surprisingly better then “Where’s Waldo” as it has better quality graphics, a Woof flying carpet sidescrolling minigame, and randomly generate hiding places for Waldo, and items giving it some replay value.)
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Passionate opinionator
Has anyone here watched Doug’s Detective Pikachu video? I want to know what cringy jokes he tries to push as funny.

@Dr_Osaka  
Me neither. But he’ll do it anyway because MONEY.

@Dr_Osaka  
When that inevitable Sonic movie video does come out, I want to know how many of those claims you made actually come true. My money says that all of them will.

@Beau Skunky  
I don’t remember the NC liking the Zelda cartoon as he pointed out its problems.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Red-Supernova

I thought his Detective Pikachu review was alright. While I grew up with Pokemon to a degree, I was never a superfan, thus like him, didn’t get a lot of the references.
Background Pony #77C4
It’s funny in hindsight how Linkara’s egofes- er, “group project”, a Voice from the Dark, ended up being prophetic about the ex-CA members turning out to be just as bad as CA.

@Dr_Osaka

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of his gripes is that Sonic never shuts up, since one of his pet peeves seems to be characters who like that because “Funny!”

Not that I can blame him for that one, especially since they made Sonic so much more annoying in that shitty film.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide