The downfall of TGWTG or Channel Awesome

Background Pony #2440
Well, here’s something that’s semi-relevant to this site. Doug did a Nostalgia Critic video on Playing with Fire, AKA that John Cena movie with a bunch of Friendship is Magic references. He even put Pinkie Pie and Cena wearing a Princess Celestia shirt in the thumbnail.  
full

As for the video itself, it’s pretty middle of the road. My only real complaint is that it starts off with two extended sketches, resulting in Doug taking six minutes to start the review.
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Background Pony #2440  
What did he have to say about the FiM related stuff in the movie?  
Also six minutes to start the review? What the hell was he doing that he thought was so funny to build up whatever movie he’s talking about?
Dr_Osaka
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Sata Andagi!
@Background Pony #2440  
I pretty much stopped watching Doug’s videos for a long time, but just out of curiosity I decided to take a look even if it was just clickbait, and my god is it bad and I’m not just talking about the review but the movie itself just looks so not good and the MLP references seem pretty generic honestly; if I never watched FiM and this movie was my introduction I’d probably never watch the series ever which is a pretty bad turnoff for such a fantastic show.
Background Pony #C471
@northern haste  
Apparently, he reviewed this movie because the only piece of nostalgia this movie has is its narrative structure of the ‘tough guy that is comedically incompetent with raising kids’ that was seen in Kindergarden Cop and other movies similar to it that came out in the 2000s, like The Pacifier, The Game Plan, The Spy Next Door, etc.

@Red-Supernova  
He mainly found it puzzling that FiM would be referenced in this movie, considering this is a Nickelodeon-produced movie and that MLP is not a Nickelodeon brand.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@northern haste

The problem with that conceit is that there is only so much nostalgia to re-evaluate, and once you run out, you’ve only got what they’re remaking to make content out of.

As I’ve said elsewhere, like with Spoony and Linkara to a lesser degree, Doug never intended to continue the NC for the long haul, hence why the conceit is a bit mismatched with regards to modern NC content.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Background Pony #C471  
Apparently, MLP:FIM does air on Nickelodeon in some countries, seeing how there are tons of screenshots here with the Nickelodeon logo on them.

And yeah, I remember that “action guy in family-comedy” trope. Don’t forget Hulk Hogan. and others did it too.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
*oh geez I can’t wait for the inevitable moment when Doug decides to review Camp Cretaceous. * because if there is one thing I am sick of him doing it’s always talking trash about the Jurassic Park franchise, I mean it would be one thing if he only commented on one or two of the movies that aren’t very good but he treats everyone of these movies like they are garbage even the first movie which he keeps saying he likes but I highly doubt that not to mention that review served as nothing more then to cash in on the movie when it was re-released in theaters in 3D. And lets not forget that Jurassic World was the first of his terrible clipless reviews that he made and honestly I don’t get why he needed to do it either especially when he would just talk about Fallen Kingdom later with clips.

Anyways this is why I’m glad Shinobi-03 exists to point out Doug’s stupidity and nitpicking of these movies, not to say that the franchise is perfect but it’s one that I love and will always defend, even the bad ones I still like regardless of what anyone says.
northern haste
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Enter if you dare
I decided to much his playing was fire review because I heard he claims MLP is a Nickelodeon show.  
He doesn’t but he does seem to be acting like friendship is magic was not popular
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@TenaciousDreamer2nd  
Admittedly, I actually liked that movie as a kid. lol (In fact, that movie made me a Gilbert Gottfried fan.)  
A li’l reluctant to watch him eviscerate it, because my dead Dad was fond of that movie too, so I have fond memories of watching it with him.

Some jokes didn’t age well, but it’s not a bad movie overall. Some mistakenly think the movie was “anti-adoption,” because of some remarks in the movie, but all the characters that were jerks to Junior for being adopted, or were anti-adoption were the A-holes/Antagonists.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Beau Skunky  
Gilbert Gottfried talked about that movie in his autobiography. He talked about how there was a scene he suggested where something fell down the cleavage of his lady friend,and he fumbles trying to get it out. They did takes for hours,all the time Gilbert is fondling this woman. The director congratulated Gilbert on being a good sport for having so much patience.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart  
lol I remember that scene from the sequel.

I remember Gottfried said one of his favorite roles was Iago the parrot from “Aladdin.” He was chosen for the movie, because they felt they needed another comedian besides Robin Williams in it, so it wouldn’t be so jarring/random when the wacky Genie appears.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Beau Skunky

He actually said that he liked it, despite how crude it is; and watching his review reminded me of why I like it too, though am personally more a fan of the sequel than the first one.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Ebalosus  
That’s cool, maybe I’ll check out his review then.

The sequel is pretty good too, and it was quite funny that Junior met his match/rival. And later best friend/sister.  
It also had more of Mr. Peabody. (Gilbert Gottfried.)

Rotten Tomatoes didn’t like either movie.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart  
Rotten Tomatoes apparently gave that certain… highly controversial Netflix movie I will not name an 80%…

Meanwhile, they gave stuff like the original classic TMNT movie a 40%… I have officially lost all respect for them.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide