Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
Hardly anyone pays attention to what the EU bureaucracy does.

And that’s why they’ve gotten away with so much bullshit relatively undetected that it would make Trump and Putin jealous.

I’d happily applaud the UK for leaving that flawed beyond belief system but seeing as how they also supported the EUCD and also fucked up so much post-exit in other fields I in good faith cannot.

You know what, I might as well share this comment talking about the EU I saw once:

“Pros:  
  • Freedom of travel and work between member states (For example: I can work in Germany while living in the Netherlands, which I plan on doing later)  
  • Easier trade between nations and easier ways to get trade treaties between other countries  
  • Peace. Europe is a continent that has been in a lot of wars and both of the world wars. The EU prevents this from happening again, because we’re all technically united now.

Cons:  
  • It’s rather undemocratic. I can vote on the European parliament, but not the council of Europe or anything else. Those are selected by every country’s government so you don’t have a say in that  
  • It’s kind of weak. On the world stage, the EU is rather weak. They’re too scared about doing something about Russia, because then they’ll increase gas prices and stuff  
  • We, the people who live in the EU, don’t really know what goes on there. The politicians aren’t well known and it has not even the slightest form of a direct democracy. If we really demand something, there’s no way to reach one of the politicians to actually get the message through as far as I’m aware. We did try it and succeeded one time though.”

There’s a certain set of words that caught my eye:

It’s rather undemocratic.

These words came from an individual who views the EU in a more positive light than a negative one and not from a Eurosceptic who would causally claim that the EU is “ThE 4Th ReIcH!!!”.

Let that sink in.

They acknowledge that the powers that be in the EU WILL actively ignore the common man and they don’t seem interested in fighting the broken parts of the system to change that reality.

Say what you want about America but we don’t take shit sitting down if all the recent protests over the past year indicate anything.
Background Pony #1F81
@CaptainXtra  
As someone who actually is from Europe and has been living in the UK for their whole life, i can safely tell you that the vast majority of the country actually LIKES the EU and wanted to remain part of it, Brexit was a giant pain in the ass that nobody but conservatives wanted, and now the UK is getting fucked becuase of May and Boris mucking around with Brexit.

And your points about the EU not allowing common folk to vote on the grand scale or being able to do anything to Russia, im sure that can also apply towards NATO or the UN as well. In fact im sure 90% of the countries in the world don’t wanna do anything about Russia either.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Mike “Right Voters” Lee and Cancun Cruz were the only two senators to vote against a water infrastructure bill designed to upgrade America’s drinking and waste water systems.

Neither Republican has given their reasoning for voting against dedicated funding to remove lead and other contaminates from our drinking water.
Backgroundpony
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@CaptainXtra  
Europe is not a nation. The EU is a collaboration of nations.

You vote on your country. That you can vote at all on an international level is a move to be MORE democratic.

“- It’s rather undemocratic. I can vote on the European parliament, but not the council of Europe or anything else. Those are selected by every country’s government so you don’t have a say in that.”
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@silbasa

I’m not ‘derping’ at all, as there’s two causes I fight hard for:

One: Get Time Magazine to retroactively make Osama bin Laden Time’s Person of the Year for 2001. He deserves it, much moreso than Trump’s loser lawyer.

Two: Give, not sell, give guns and ammo to illegal immigrants wherever they are. If you’re in America for example, sit on the Mexican border and give guns and ammo to any illegals crossing the border. They’re human beings too, and don’t deserve to be locked in concentration camps, or mistreated by immigration officials, or attacked by racists. Giving them guns and ammo ensures that doesn’t happen…and has a side benefit of pissing off both liberals and conservatives.

@Latecomer

At the very least they shouldn’t steal the work of independent journalists and pass it off as “stock images”
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Peace to all
They acknowledge that the powers that be in the EU WILL actively ignore the common man and they don’t seem interested in fighting the broken parts of the system to change that reality.

EU is a bureaucracy that slowly evolved from several treaties and agreements as opposed to being something that was conceived with a clear purpose, well thought out checks and balance,s and a strong direction. European integration was a idea that existed for many years and a bunch of things just slowly marched to the goal. EU’s insulation from national governments did give it some power to protect certain rights but the lack of accountability to its populace has slowly made it something of a monster and that is both stagnate yet gobbling more power in its maw.

@igotnopicks  
Speaking of that, the European Coal and Steel Community, one of the main processors to the EU, was actually meant to contain Germany’s power and prevent France and Germany from going to war again. well, at least it met one of those objectives.
Beyond economic and social objectives—the development and modernization of European production, the expansion of import-export exchanges inside and outside the pool, and a converging improvement of living standards for the workers—the Schuman Plan was also defined along essential political objectives. By bringing France and Germany to a factual solidarity, it was expected that any future war between them would be both unthinkable and impossible. French-German relations had reached a deadlock on unresolved questions (the status of the Saar, the German rearmament, and free access to the Ruhr’s coal), paralyzing, if not jeopardizing, the European integration process. In Monnet’s view, similar to the United States’ position, such a situation could not last given the Cold War’s context: a fast and ambitious initiative was needed, on the one hand, to anchor Western Germany to the West and make it participate in Western Europe’s defense and, on the other hand, to keep German industrial cartels and rearmament capacities under close control. In exchange for this economic concession, an opportunity was given to Germany to reenter international politics with equal rights for the first time since the end of the war. By accepting and endorsing the idea, despite strong opposition in his country (mainly social democrat and communist parties), Konrad Adenauer, the German chancellor, played a decisive role in the success of the plan. After Germany, the Benelux countries (Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg) and Italy agreed to enter the discussions by accepting the idea of a supranational authority.

@silbasa  
Far from half want the country to actually burn. Most average folks even on that side are just looking out for their interests. Plus, media lies for a reason. Even most of the ardent lefties here actually fail the purity tests being set by the progressive woke establishment to keep themselves in power.

Elite class though… you may have a point.

@Penguin Dragneel  
As I said, the dichotomies are those issues aren’t as extreme as many make it out to be not that it makes navigating our current moment much easier.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide