Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Background Pony #697E
@Latecomer  
The standard is high because one actually needs to find out for sure if such a phenomenon (in America, or any other country in the world where it is alleged to exist but hasn’t yet been proven to exist, currently) actually, indisputably exists.

You cannot just assume things about the situation and then expect to be taken seriously by anybody who actually knows just exactly why and how making assumptions (and generalizations) about any serious situation like the murder of George Floyd, because that is an absolutely unsound, dishonest, and disingenuous way of trying to figure something out and then acting like you’re (not necessarily you in particular, just anybody who does this shit, in general) an expert on the entire situation.

I’ve actually been saying this for the past 3-4 years now, and even more so following the death of George Floyd. And honestly, it really does end up getting to be real grating and tiring at times to essentially feel like one of the only non-conservative, right-wing, or far-right people in the entire world who seems to actually understand this shit.

(Note: After reading Ciaran’s response post to me, I’m definitely most curious about whether or not this post, in particular, somehow violates any certain rule—or rules—in the thread, because so far, I do not see anything in this post that is either violating rule #0, rule #6, or any other rule, for that matter, or isn’t related at all to politics because it is critiquing the rampant and unproven-to-be-warranted concept of systemic racism, which, judging by how the posts who talk about the concept in this thread like mine, right here, are not deleted—along with it always being used in a political manner in the outside world—is definitely a political topic.)
Latecomer

@Background Pony #697E

There is a fair bit of space between “knowing for sure” and “assuming”. And it’s the space most human knowledge rests in.

Do you at least admit that systemic racism was rampant in America in the past? And if so, can you point to when it ceased to be?
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Background Pony #697E

It’s fairly difficult, if not impossible, to indisputably prove things that fall into the category of “squishy human things”.

In law, as has been stated, the standard to reach is “reasonable doubt”.

We can get into p values, confidence intervals, effect sizes, correlation coefficients, etc. but that’s all arguing semantics.

Data are rarely representative of being “indisputable”. They point in particular ways, trends form, supporting evidence is acquired, and from that we gain a “best of” idea of what is actually going on. There will invariably be Type 1 & 2 errors, alternate theories, statistical anomalies, and good old fashioned human error.

Humans, and anything involving their behaviors and actions, can almost never be placed in the “absolute” category. Trust me, I’ve tried.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
After reading Ciaran’s response post to me, I’m definitely most curious

This is a special thread. The rules here are different than anyplace else on the site. Please read the first post for more information

This thread is for civilly discussing politics.

Its primary purpose is so that we don’t have off-topic political discussions on other threads or on fan art where those kinds of discussions are not appropriate. This is, in that regard, a ‘containment zone’.

If you think systematic racism has to be proven to be discussed. That’s fine - that’s your opinion.

But everyone else is free to discuss systematic racism however they want, without having to prove it exists. That’s their opinions.

If you are someone who feels that a volunteer-run My Little Pony fansite is a great place to discuss politics, this is the thread you should use, and as long as you are civil in your discussion we don’t care if you do or don’t prove anything.

Evidence isn’t required to express an opinion here.

If you continue to argue that it is dishonest and disingenuous for people to civilly discuss their personal experiences, or personal opinions, of systematic racism in the absence of providing the proof you require, you will be asked to leave.

Your standard is your own. This thread does not have such a standard.
NitroFury
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Horseplay
Artist -

Nitro Cat Bad!
@Ereiam
Also correct me if im wrong (i’ve only heard bits of the event), but wasn’t it reported that most of the people who got shot during the attack where India/of Indian descent?
If so then yeah, it seems like there is a pretty big racial motivation if that is the case.

Consider that 4 members of the Sikh Community were killed, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was racially motivated.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Attorney General Merrick Garland has launched an investigation into Minneapolis police to determine if there has been a pattern of unlawfulness amongst the departments.

Huh. Chauvin really was just the start.
Background Pony #1F81
on the topic of police, i’ve seen a distressingly high amount of people online (mainly Twitter) unironically praising and wishing for the deaths of police officers, and i just…

No

Can we please don’t devolve into mindlessly wishing death and cheering on the thought of people in law enforcement dying?
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
More video was released from the shooting in Ohio.

I’m sorry, if you’re in the process of trying to stab someone with a knife, at that point its justified that you get shot.

This is not a Floyd situation where the suspect was already detained, nor is it like that 13 year old that was shot after already dropping the gun and surrendering.

She was actively trying to stab someone and had them pinned to a car.

In lieu of additional evidence coming to light, this looks justified to me.
Ereiam
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Organization is important.

Monde de merde
@Zincy  
@Latecomer  
As long as the status quo is insisted upon being upheld, the bad apple effect (with the aforementioned regrettable ACAB sentiment as a consequence) will linger. The public’s trust in the force won’t be restored unless we get some in-depth reforms (and most politicians are either too divorced from reality to care or too cowardly to rock the boat).
Background Pony #9659
More video was released from the shooting in Ohio.
I’m sorry, if you’re in the process of trying to stab someone with a knife, at that point its justified that you get shot.
This is not a Floyd situation where the suspect was already detained, nor is it like that 13 year old that was shot after already dropping the gun and surrendering.
She was actively trying to stab someone and had them pinned to a car.
In lieu of additional evidence coming to light, this looks justified to me.

I agree, that was one situation where the shooting was justified. Not ideal, but justified.

Sadly twitter is overflowing with “he should have restrained her”, “could have used a TASER”, “she was just a teenager he could have done anything else”, etc. and pretend there wasn’t a girl with a knife in her hand about to stab another, with the cop just arriving on scene 5 seconds earlier and having no context of who’s who.

It sucks, and it also sucks how things have gotten so bad over so long a period that so many’s default is to assume the worst.
Background Pony #4EAE
Attorney General Merrick Garland has launched an investigation into Minneapolis police to determine if there has been a pattern of unlawfulness amongst the departments.
Huh. Chauvin really was just the start.
Given that he also recently lifted the restrictions Jeff Sessions placed on consent decrees at the behest of the Trump administration, I’d guess there will be other investigations to come as well.
Background Pony #697E
@ᏰᎯᎠᎻᎬᎯᏒᎿ  
That’s just your opinion, man.

Now, to be honest, I never actually and/or genuinely mean to come across as annoying in the first place, yet when I need to make my point and/or get my point across, I see no reason not to (at least, regarding doing so in this thread, that is).
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide