Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
My inherently capitalist brain has recently became rather fascinated with the UBI principle of “negative income tax”.

Which, if I understand it correctly, makes so that deductions and credits accrued by those below the tax “break even point” (the point above which you start actually owing taxes) turn into actual income on the dollar. So like you get a percentage of income for every dollar you have as a deduction or credit.

Since, under a certain income bracket, deductions and tax credits are kind of useless in actually keeping money in peoples hands.

I’m sure its more complicated than that, but that’s what I’ve been able to glean from it so far.
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Peace to all
New bill from Flordia looks pretty bad, at least if I go by Reason’s breakdown of it  
H.B. 1 fleshes out existing laws against blocking streets as part of protests and increases penalties for anybody who commits battery or similar violent crimes as part of a riot.[
It establishes a minimum six-month jail sentence for anybody convicted of battery against a police officer as part of a riot.
It creates a new crime—mob intimidation—which is defined as two or more people attempting to use or threatening force “to compel or induce, or attempt to compel or induce another person to do or refrain from doing any act or to assume, abandon, or maintain a particular viewpoint against his or her will,” punishable as a first-degree misdemeanor (which entails up to a year in jail and up to a $1,000 fine).
It establishes that anybody convicted of vandalizing or destroying historic property or a memorial is committing a felony, with a possible prison sentence of up to 15 years and a fine of up to $10,000, as well as restitution orders.
H.B. 1 further establishes a mandate that municipalities must respond to protect people and their property during a riot or any unlawful assembly. Failure to do so strips the municipality itself of civil immunity and opens it up to lawsuits for damages.
It gives a commission in the governor’s office veto power over municipalities within the state if they attempt to reduce the budget of their own police departments.
It prohibits releasing anybody arrested for certain crimes like theft or assault during a riot until the arrested person has appeared before a magistrate.
It creates a new crime of “cyberintimidation by publication,” making it unlawful to electronically publish somebody’s personal identification information with the intent to (or with the intent that a third party will) incite violence against the person, harass the person, or place “such person in reasonable fear of bodily harm.” This section makes no distinction between private citizens or government workers or even elected political figures. Violating the law is a first-degree misdemeanor (up to a year in jail and up to a $1,000 fine).
It creates an affirmative defense for anybody taken to civil court over injury, damage, or death if it is the result of a participant in the lawsuit engaging in rioting. This part of the law has been presented in the press as granting legal immunity to people who run over protesters.

The particularly free speech troublesome ones are in bold. What most conservatives don’t understand is that adding new laws will do little to counteract the rioting as most of the worst areas were from blue states that weren’t using what powers they had already at their disposal out of fear and idiocy (but it is their choice, as states have the power of police and the feds should not get involved unless absolutely necessary) I suppose you might sell me on the ones overruling towns but not much else as it is only a expansion of power that will be used against you later. Especially that “cyberintimidation by publication” which even in a limited form could have a chilling effect upon free speech.

Now, I will say this, I will take a look at the law myself and see if Reason is overplaying it. I know Ron has a target on his head for being possibly the next GOP nominee if Trump doesn’t run but they don’t usually conclude with the mainstream media to that level and usually are pretty good on at least explaining their positions on policing in good faith.

@Zincy  
I am more of the position that we should get rid of the majority of our tax deductions and exceptions but I’ll admit that is a interesting idea.

@CaptainXtra  
I have been trying but it frequency gets pushed aside for other things.

I’m just here continuing to wonder why people here on a EU based site talk about US based politics 90% of the time.

Even with a lot of Americans you’d think you see a bit more international politics.

@Violet Rose in The Rain  
Going after Trump? that is punching up, Journalist going after a lone shitposter is them punching down. Though I don’t even agree with such a simple power dynamics description of the situation.

Journalist, like anybody else, deserve some humanity. I believe you can go to far with anybody, even bankers, stock brokers, etc, but if we were to muzzle ourselves to the whims of their fragile egos then be simply slaves to people who don’t have our best interest at heart.

If all the “counterculture” left that we celebrate getting us to this point, so often perverted, edgy, and violent directed at a whole host of once untouchable figures and concepts can’t handle journalist getting dunked on by memes than they have failed.
Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Zincy  
We already have the machinery to do it. In IRS parlance, they’re called “refundable credits”. You’d just have to move some of the other deductions and credits down to that part of the form.
Violet Rose in The Rain
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

A QAnon conspiracist in LA drowned her three children, claiming it was to protect them from their estranged father.
The father was apparently the normal one, and was trying to get custody. The mother was a nutcase, claiming personal responsibility for starting Covid and believing that her hometown housed a pedophilia ring.
Bold of them make a fresh, modern reinterpretation of Shutter Island.
Commune
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

🚙
@Zincy  
Q is a cult in the most dangerous way  
It attracts vulnerable people and makes their existing problems worse

It reminds me of the Cult Children of God in a way  
Initially the COG attracted hippies disillusioned with free love movement and such and promised them a new spiritual lifestyle based on Jesus was celibate. Then it slowly morphed into something far more sinister until their members started molesting children like no tomorrow

Fun fact: In Germany, there’s a religion targeting Qanon folks which claims there will be a messiah in the near future who will conquer the world based on bibilical prophecy  
Calling it now, this will end in mass suicide
Penguin Dragneel
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Dustcan  
Literally just Activision.

They literally lay off 800 employees, despite having one of their best sales periods in a while, and also paying a new executive millions just for coming on board.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
“On Friday, sick and evil POS (piece of s****) in the media attacked me with phrases I never said or wrote,” Greene said in a statement to Newsweek. “The scum and liars in the media are calling me a racist by taking something out of context,” she added.
According to a seven-page document that reportedly outlined the group’s policy plan, the America First caucus said it was calling for a “common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions,” and a return to an architectural style that “befits the progeny or European architecture.”
Anglo-Saxon is a term for white people related to Germanic inhabitants of fifth-century England, prompting several Republican lawmakers to accuse the group of being “white supremacist” and hateful.

This is what happens when you openly pander to the hateful and stupid: the hateful and stupid join your party, and are too hateful and stupid to not expose the party.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Checking Covid deaths after a about a month. Last time I did was when we broke the 500k milestone, so a month later and the US death toll has reached…567k. Less than 400 deaths were reported since yesterday.

Progress is being made.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Latecomer

Giving women guns kinda helps deal with the issue of shitbag men; akin to how me giving guns to illegal immigrants helps solve the white nationalist/supremacist problem.

You could say that it “blows the problem away”
Vortaxonus

@Background Human  
from i can tell, they have the same problem we had, i.e. a dipshit republican president.

@NitroFury  
Admittidly part of it is due to trump, as under biden another thing we are number 1# at is vaccine rollout, haven given out over 1.12 billion doses, thrice more then the UK, but it does come with the stipulation that most of this is under the more competent biden administration, which is generally considered a 180 from the hell trump was doing by defualt.
Background Pony #08B0
@Vortaxonus  
I doubt a democrat president would have made a huge difference. You can look to the states and the governors for a better idea of COVID. Trumps Rhetoric was bad, but considering you have the government pausing J&J vaccines right now and officials telling people to mask up even when vaccinated I don’t have much faith in the government. And no, the Dems don’t follow the science, if they did you’d have had schools reopening sooner in Dem controlled states.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide