Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Background Pony #1F81
Why do I have a bad feeling that a lot of the more hardcore Trump cultists would form some sort of Suicde pact when Trump dies?

Or would they pull some QAnon shit about Trump somehow being immortal?
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Apparently on 20th November 2020, Austria’s police force conducted a raid on an austrian muslim scholar of islamophobia (mind you that he’s full österreicher, ist nicht immigrant)

The Raid happened at the break of dawn, even storming into his children’s bedroom.

No warrant nothing. Officers fully armed. Apparently he was labeled practically everything from yer usual “terrorist” to money laundering.

Their evidence have been thousand hours of calls and thousands of emails of him discussing…politics.

Dude’s a political scientist and a public speaker against the rising islamophobia in his country. I mean, of course he speaks about politics?

Real fucking classy, guys.

Here’s a short, totally biased documentary on it. It’s short, watch it.

OH, and the dude is now practically CANCELLED because he’s got the terrorist label on him. GGWP you cops. Always bullying ppl with force and threats of violence.
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

There’s a online fundraiser helping the guy fight legal battles because ofc his life is ruined.

Donated.

Austria pls don’t pull weird fucking shit like these dumb raids again. You is 1st world, top tier engineers, smartest guys in the room. Dont do what 3rd worlders do.

A Raid on a guy critical of racism? Come the fuck on.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
Racist Crooked Cops are on the same level of utterly horrid excuses for human beings as Serial Killers and Mass Shooters if you ask me.
O. Hancock
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Penis
@CaptainXtra  
Let’s be real here though, our city councils, state, and national legislatures allow this to happen. If our politicians wanted it stopped, they would clamp down on it. If you want to kill a snake, cut off the head.
Background Pony #79F9
As is the way with Republicans striving to snuff democracy in its entirety, North Dakota GOP dominated senate passes bill to hide presidential election vote counts until after the electoral college votes in the new president

Apart from hiding actual votes for each presidential candidates (thus enabling vote fraud, hmmm…), the bill is primarily aimed at strengthening the anti-democratic institution of the electoral college and ensuring that low population GOP states continue to exert disproportionate control over the country.

Remember, the idea that “everyone’s vote counts the same” is a complete farce, and it’s one that US conservatives will continue until they finally kill off democracy altogether.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

So you can label an outspoken anti-discrimination academic and citizen a terrorist, raid his home while his children are sleeping and ruin their lives with expensive legal battles because…what, that he speaks his mind and his academic field happens to be in politics?

Oh. And the cops leave a bullet in his house clearly as an attempt to intimidate him?

I expect this kind of bullshit from Indonesia, not the goddamn Österreich!
Background Pony #79F9
@Background Pony #79F9
Have they presented any actual reasons for this?

Yes, the one I stated. They want to prevent the national vote compact. That being, the interstate compact where several states agree to give their electoral votes to the presidential candidate that wings the popular vote, rather than the one that gets the most votes in their state. By hiding the vote count they disqualify themselves from every being part of the compact even if ND somehow flipped democrat.

Republicans know they’ll never win the popular vote again, so they depend on low population ultra conservative states with imbalanced representation in the electoral college to maintain power.

You have the same thing with the senate; Montana with its 1million citizens has as much power in the senate (two senators) as California with its 40million citizens. That means every voter in Montana has 40 times more power to change and enact laws than the people of California. Also why the GOP would sooner start another civil war than allow for DC or PR to become states.

Republicans are fundamentally anti-democratic, it’s in their DNA at this point.
Background Pony #CEFC
@igotnopicks  
While it doesn’t justify what Republicans have done, you’re misremembering what happened in 2016 and the calls that the Republicans cheated from the Democrats. And yes their were Democrats in DC raising objections to electoral votes, though Biden put a stop to it.
Background Pony #CEFC
@Background Pony #79F9  
The senate was designed specifically to be like that, this way smaller states still have a say. It’s based around the idea that this is still a collection of states and those states with smaller populations can’t just be ignored. The House of Representatives exists as the “democratic” assembly where states are weighed with their population. I think this is a good system since those people living in Montana live different lives and have different priorities then people living in California.
Background Pony #79F9
@Background Pony #CEFC  
You’re the one misremembering. Democrats accused the Republicans of collusion and dirty tactics to lie and trick people; Republicans straight up accuse the Democrats of fraud, fake votes, etc. In 2016, when they won.

And they did it again this last election, still refusing to believe they lost in the EC as well.

@Background Pony #CEFC  
Sure it was designed to be like that. The system was also designed to only allow land-owning men to be able to vote, but that changed after people realized it was a bit unfair.

How anyone can justify that someone in one state should have 40 times more power than people from other states over what happens in the senate is beyond absurd and it spits in the face of democratic principles or the basic idea of equality or fairness.
Background Pony #CEFC
@Background Pony #79F9  
Np, I’m remembering correctly. Democrats were accusing Trump of cheating and colluding with the Russians. They did not just move on from it. I’m not trying to draw any kind of parity between the two parties in 2016 and 2020, only pointing out that the Dems did not simply move on from 2016 and taking the loss.

How anyone can justify that someone in one state should have 40 times more power than people from other states over what happens in the senate is beyond absurd and it spits in the face of democratic principles or the basic idea of equality or fairness.

I am justifying it by saying the Senate is only one part of the legislature. It is split so that you have the purely democratic side with the House of Representatives, and the state side with the Senate. It can of course be changed, senators used to not be elected, but what I see as fair and what you see as fair differs. I don’t believe our entire government should be based on a purely democratic system like you want, where both the Senate and House’s representative are allocated by population. The idea of a chamber whose job is to represent the states is fair to me, because as I said people in Montana and North Dakota are going to be very different then California and New York. For a country our size I don’t think it would be fair for large populous states to simply dictate to the states with low populations. This system balances it out, you have one chamber of congress who is represented by population, and another by state. This, to me, is fair.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Background Pony #CEFC
You’re the one misremembering. Democrats accused the Republicans of collusion and dirty tactics to lie and trick people; Republicans straight up accuse the Democrats of fraud, fake votes, etc. In 2016, when they won.
And they did it again this last election, still refusing to believe they lost in the EC as well.

Difference is that is what happened. There was Russian collusion. There was Russian interference. It wasn’t to the extent that gets exaggerated, but they did happen.

However another difference is that while the Dems were more than happy to point out the existence of those things, when it came time for “So what are you gonna do about it” part they just kinda stood there awkwardly staring forward.

If you really want to create dichotomous paradigms between then and now, then one could point out how the Republicans are repeating the above but backwards. They’ve jumped straight to the “So what are you gonna do about it” part without awkwardly standing there staring, while outright skipping the “Prove it” part.
Background Pony #79F9
@Background Pony #CEFC  
Cool if the two chambers did completely different things, but as it stands the senate just blocks and invalidates everything the house does, which makes control over the lower chamber practically meaningless for most topics that matter (lawmaking) if the senate is on the opposing side.
Background Pony #CEFC
@Background Pony #79F9  
And the Senate can’t do much without the House. If you want to be mad that the legislators in DC won’t work with each other, I’m on board, but laws drafted by the House should be required to also carry the support of the states.
Background Pony #79F9
@Background Pony #CEFC  
So yes, you’re wholly on board with some people having 40 times more power over the country than others. If you agree with something like that, then you fundamentally disagree with democracy.
Background Pony #CEFC
@Background Pony #79F9  
I’m on board with one piece of one of the three branches of the US government being represented by the states themselves. Do you think every piece of the federal government should be democratically elected individuals? President, congress, judges, the cabinet, regulators, etc?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide