Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Background Pony #675E

No, I just don’t know what those are. This time I’m falling on the stupid end of Hanlon’s Razor.

But what 30 seconds of googling tells me is that the entirety of Netherlands is only about as big as South Carolina. So would their methods work across the entirety of of eastern, south eastern, and western America? Because the extent of my knowledge over flood prevention is levees, and when those fail we get what happened to New Orleans a decade and half back.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
Saw this comment on a YT video:

me: You don’t have paid parental leave, which is unlike any other developed nation?
American workers: yes.
me: you can and do go homeless because your child has cancer and you can’t afford treatment?
me: your productivity has risen over 60% but wages only rose 11%?
me: maybe we should unionize and collectively bargain for basic rights.
American workers: NOOOOOO COMMIEEEEE!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Definitely relevant in the recent wage debates.
Background Pony #675E
@Violet Rose in The Rain  
I didn’t assume, I just know that it is potentially possible that their system could be replies on an immensely large-scale. There are many civil engineering accomplishments achieved by humans in the past that was said to be absolutely impossible to achieve, beforehand, so I have high confidence that this can potentially be pulled off.

If sea levels keep rising, it’s the only way to ensure that such displacement of humans will never really happen.
Violet Rose in The Rain
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@Background Pony #675E

The entire world fucked the pooch when it came to COVID-19 and you think they’re capable of handling an even slower, more insidious threat that requires more money to solve?

Were you raised under a rock or did you somehow decide sticking your head in there was a good idea?
Background Pony #675E
@Wiimeiser  
>American culture

>far right

You’re delusional. American culture as a whole is not “far right”. Only somebody who’s extremely left-wing would unironically believe that.
Violet Rose in The Rain

@Background Pony #675E

Oh, and that’s not even the only problem. We’re looking at food supplies taking a massive hit and famines for up to a billion people when low-level farmlands are too flooded even for rice.

The Middle East and South-central Asia will grow increasingly uninhabitable, which will create a refugee crisis on a level we’ve never seen before (again, we’re talking upwards of 150–200 million climate change refugees by 2050 displaced, for reference the ~2014 EU refugee crisis was like, I believe a few million people, maybe 20 million tops)
Background Pony #675E
@Dustcan  
Well, of course those can’t necessarily be solved like the flooding. I never suggested otherwise.

@Violet Rose in The Rain  
LOL You actually believe that this is some playground-level game of “owning” someone?
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Violet Rose in The Rain

I mean this time around levees have been historically proven to be useful even as a modern solution.

But I again mention New Orleans circa 2005. I still think it’s a better idea to remove the can altogether rather than keep kicking it down the road.
Violet Rose in The Rain

@Background Pony #675E

All the things I’ve said about the negative effects of climate change and your only response is, “build more levees.”

I mean, if you’re gonna keep moving the goalposts and never address mass extinction; oceans getting warmer; longer, more intense droughts that threaten crops, wildlife and freshwater supplies, just come outright and say so.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Latecomer

Yes, and it’s more a case of spending smartly than any major technical hurdles. My preferred solution, solar power collectors at the L1 Lagrange point, would be an extremely expensive undertaking (likely in the hundreds of billions of dollars), but it also lowers the amount of sun reaching earth and provides the planet (and cislunar space) with cheap and unlimited solar electricity. Once built, it would be cheap to maintain, and would basically pay for its own maintenance.
Background Pony #675E
When I first saw this whilst browsing on Twitter, my reaction could only be summed up with just one phrase:

L O L
Background Pony #675E
@Dustcan  
Of course! I totally agree with that in principle! How we are going to do that may need to be worked out in a way that is reasonably objectively fair and just to enough of an extent for all parties, whilst being reasonably effective enough against climate change, but even with that in mind, I definitely agree with you.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide