Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

TheFinite
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Shiny Bug
@Dustcan  
Well a part of that may well be Joe Manchin, who stated that he’s not really into the $2000 checks, so lowering the amount could be an attempt to keep his support for such a bill. But yeah, that is kinda annoying.

And that North Dakota guy sounds like the kind of guy that goes around and tells people to “Speak American”.
TheFinite
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Shiny Bug
@Background Pony #1DB9  
I kinda doubt it’s going to amount to anything. I don’t think you can impeach someone for presidential misconduct if they aren’t even president yet? Besides, the whole Ukraine and China thing is old news, and amounts to pretty much nothing. This just sounds like they’re trying to take the whole Hunter Biden story that flopped and try it again.

EDIT: But American isn’t a race? It’s a nationality. There’s a difference.
Background Pony #1DB9
@TheFinite

@NitroFury  
I don’t think the impeachment thing will go anywhere either, even if you think something is there we just don’t have any hard evidence. As to the American thing, while I know it isn’t a race i’ve wanted my fellow countrymen to drop the whole hyphenated-American thing for years. “Hurr i’m Irish-American because I have 1/32 Irish blood”. Anything that moves us into that direction is good to me, even if it means tossing it into the race category.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

World's Okayest User
I don’t wanna be that guy, but it was really obvious the $2000 was just gonna be the additional $1400 rather than another round. That said I hope enough people raise enough of a stink to give the full amount
Background Pony #5468
@Kiryu-Chan  
It all is a part of the 2020 taxes, so officially people don’t ‘receive’ it until they file their 2020 taxes in spring of 2021. So no matter when people receive the actual cash, the 2021 ‘tax stimulus’ is ‘the same check’ as far as the government sees it.

In fact, for a lot of people, they WILL NOT see it until they file their 2020 taxes. Most of those are lower income people who file their own taxes and receive physical checks instead of direct deposits.
Background Pony #5468
@Background Pony #1DB9  
From the people who brought us “Mexican and Islamic isn’t a race”, we now learn that they think “American” is.

Can’t wait until they start claiming “Christianity” is a race, too.
TheFinite

Shiny Bug
@Background Pony #1DB9  
My point is trying to add “American” as a race isn’t trying to ease race relations, it’s trying to paper over it with patriotism so that they can pretend the issue doesn’t exist so that they don’t have to actually do anything to fix it. Can’t talk about how Republicans oppress the black vote if black people don’t exist, after all. While Race is of a sort a created construct, it’s based on physical features and often has some level of culture tied to it. It’s better to put in the hard work to make sure each race is treated and respected equally than it is to just say “We’re all Americans, therefor race problems don’t exist!” which is what this proposal says to me.
Background Pony #1DB9
@TheFinite  
Right, what I’m saying is what I want is for the idea of the hyphenated American to go away. You don’t see it as much anymore, but I still run into it plenty. That’s why my example used Irish-Americans. The race idea of African-American does also bother me though, but I don’t think that if we as a country decided to stop using that and got into the habit of just calling everyone American it wouldn’t cause people to think race is no longer a thing. We can do both, put in the hard work and work to view each other as just American.

As for the actual adding it to some states legal documents, that’s just bureaucratic BS, a means to an end to get people to stop doing it. You could remove the whole damn thing for all I care.
TheFinite

Shiny Bug
@Background Pony #1DB9  
Honestly, the hyphenating thing is not really that big of a deal? When used properly, it denotes a mixture of culture, which is what America is all about. I think trying to get rid of it entirely just because some people are obnoxious about it is going to do anything?
Background Pony #1DB9
@TheFinite  
While I would agree it isn’t like that is some big issue facing America today I do think it is overall an issue. I like that America is a place where cultures can meld together, I don’t like when people are obnoxious and make that piece of their identity something to focus on. At this point in time the more annoying parts are more subtle, like when the discussion of race relatjons comes up too often people deflect by pointing to their ethnicity, well no, you’re American and you should face American history, the good and the bad of it.
Commune
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

🚙
I don’t know why people are saying the Capitol Riots are going to be the new focal point for the far right  
It was an even worse failure than Charlottesville  
It led to the GOP losing faith in Trump for the first time in four years, Trump conceded for the first time to Biden because of it and it is a literal national mockery
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Commune

You and I both know that it’s really only the Sorkinite liberals and ‘moderate’ republicans that are making a big deal out of the Capitol storming; and are going to treat it like their own personal GamerGate.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
If there’s any group of people that qualifies for the “American” race denomination, it’s the Natives. And even they are better identified by which tribe they’re from.

So yeah.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide