Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@CaptainXtra

Then let me tell you something about the practical application of this law. First of all, this law is not directed against any displeasure or justified complaints, but against people who threaten other people with death online or on the street, or defame them with provable false accusations, for example to be child molesters.

I don’t think you want me to print pamphlets depicting you as a child molester or worse and distribute them all over your neighborhood. Or that I openly call for your assassination. Of course, “simple” insults are also punished, but usually with fines based on your earnings and your age. Or community service. And of course you have to be over 18 years old to be able to commit such a crime at all.

But this law is primarily directed against people who call for the murder of Jews and members of other religions, and against those who want to murder politicians, as in the case of the murdered Social Democrat Walter Lübcke, for example. I am not aware of any cases where people have been arrested or fined simply for taking part in protests.

So unless you can give me a case that proves otherwise, I would say that this law has worked quite well so far. You should also be aware that Germany has a very social legal system that is tailored to the accused. Unless there is clear evidence of a person’s guilt, or they do not take a prior warning seriously, one is very safe here as far as freedom of speech is concerned.

But of course, if you are one of the extremists, corona deniers and QAnon conspiracy theorists, who massively call for violence on the streets and online, then you have indeed gotten the shit end of the stick here. Nevertheless, such people are not immediately arrested and locked away, or dispersed at demonstrations with massive police violence. At the demonstration last weekend, the water cannons just let it rain a little (literally). And this only after the crowd refused to calm down after being asked to do so several times for hours, and to follow the Corona measures, or rather to show willingness to comply with the policemen’s request.

There is a beautiful saying: Everyone is the architect of his/her own happiness/fortune. And in Germany, this does not include behaving like a complete madman, knowingly endangering others and publicly calling for violence. But I guess it’s just a German thing - that we tend to follow rules instead of constantly using our own freedom as an excuse for each and everything. Just my personal opinion. No offense. ;-)
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@SunBurn

He should rehabilitate Germany in NATO and renew the transatlantic alliance. Har har har. Just kidding. But unlike Trump, he could visit Germany at least once. ;-)
Background Pony #6BB6
@DarkObsidian  
Oh I’m not surprised that Germany would have it’s own laws based on its history. I’m just saying I think the right to “hate speech” is a right.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Background Pony #6BB6

Yeah. Sure. But since when is every right also right? That’s what lawyers and politicians are for. And in the end, every nation must formulate its own laws. Or, in the case of the EU, the nations must implement the law as it is jointly decided - that is democracy. If you do not like this, please exercise your right to vote. And accept the majority decision. That is also part of living in a democracy.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@SunBurn

Acceleration of the shift toward renewable energy, student loan forgiveness, undoing the changes Trump made to the H Visa system, creation of more protected parkland, voting rights reform, and the decriminalization of pot.
Background Pony #6BB6
@DarkObsidian  
I’m not German, I don’t have any intention to move to Germany to vote in German elections to pass laws I want. that’s not a shot on Germany, I feel the same way about other also nice European countries like France or England. As an American I’m actually thankful it takes even more then just a majority decision to change our right to free speech. In this case I think the right is right.
Ereiam
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Organization is important.

Monde de merde
@SunBurn  
TBH I don’t hope much from Biden in the first place. As long as he sucks less than Trump, I’ll consider my expectations for him met (which hopefully shouldn’t be too hard), and if he goes about fixing some of the damage his predecessor dealt, he’d be reaching above and beyond in my book.

@CaptainXtra  
First time I hear about that one.

The new security law is the one that’s currently causing some controversy, with its disposition that forbids pictures of police officers taken during protests to be broadcasted “with malicious intent” (whatever that’s supposed to mean in the eyes of the authorities…)
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Background Pony #6BB6

Well, as a non-American, I’m not gonna make a big deal about the American way of speech. But if an American makes a partially disrespectful statement about German law, then I will of course respond accordingly to clarify the facts of the case. And I am also very aware of the cultural difference between Americans and Germans. But sometimes I am not so sure if the other way round is the same. ;-)
Background Pony #C911
@Background Human  
That’s one of Trump’s lawyers in this “fight”, btw.

Who three days ago posted this:

full

and today posted this:

full

One of the fastest ‘hype to thrown under bus’ plays I’ve ever seen. But, par of the course in Trump’s circle of spineless weasels.

Oh, bonus; 4 years ago she said this:

full

And people will still, somehow, defend Trump.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@NeonThriller  
They are canvassers. Their role is purely non-discretionary.

Their only job is to add the votes from the counties, and agree that they added the numbers correctly, nothing more. It’s just math - their step doesn’t include any kind of “are these votes valid or not” decision making.

Even if there were a recount scheduled, this step is required to get the total, since no body prior to this has the right to add the votes from two counties together.

They literally just add the votes from each county together to create the total numbers for the state.

If one or two of them refuse to add the votes together, or to certify the votes were added together for each county, then a court will order them to do it.

This “refusing to add the votes” has happened before in Michigan. The last time involved some sort of abortion related addendum to some county’s ballot. And a judge ordered them to do their fucking job, and they did it.

Here’s an article from the Detroit Free Press about it if you want to learn more about how odd this situation is.
Ereiam
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Organization is important.

Monde de merde
@NeonThriller  
Besides, even if by a fluke Biden lost Michigan, he’d still have 290 electoral votes secured. Trump would have to steal not one but three states from him to reverse his defeat. He simply can’t win.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide