Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Goku Black

And people have forgotten that “as long as you take at least two of them out before they take you out” sends a powerful message to those in power, and will sap the strength and resolve of their enforcers.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Goku Black  
Eh. I dont think ppl forgot. IMO ppl still have that same power level as before, perhaps even higher BUT

Due to extreme polarization, ppl now view the other guy as power hungry politicians and their guy as literal saviors.

We’re back to “My God can beat your God” kinda mentality which I thought I’d only see in stories and roleplay.

What you dont got are people who’s dabbing at everybody.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Angrybrony  
I C.  
Perhaps that is the case. But holy shit that is one hell of a compromise. Kinda unhealthy innit?

“Eeeeh. He’s not literally the worst so we’ll just pick him.” is a negative emotion.

If you base your vote on lack of confidence and apathy then how do you…how would you be motivated for anything?!
Background Pony #9EB2
People have also been sucked into believing the absolute worst of the other guy, while finding excuses for their own side. It’s funny to see how people will spin news articles by claiming things like “Oh, that’s a dogwhistle” whenever the opponent’s side says something.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
@Angrybrony  
Honestly, I have no problems with people wanting to vote Burden since he’s not as bad as Trump. That’s reasonable.

I do however hate it when they say you shouldn’t be allowed to vote anyone else. Apparently voting third party is endorsing Trump to these people. A leap of faith off a plane without a parachute makes more sense than this.

Vote whoever you want. Once you’re in that booth, you’re on your own. The outside world doesn’t exist then.
Background Human
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Goku Black  
Because it does cut both ways. If you don’t vote for the winning candidate, you don’t matter to the winning candidate. Voting for a third party ensures that, no matter who wins, your policy preferences can safely be ignored. Because in a plurality vote (first past the post) system, anyone but the top two is a mathematical non-entity.
Background Pony #8A0F
@Scrabbleman  
It boils down to election mathemathics in first past the post method. If you need simple majority (more votes than anyone else), then voting minor party you align with will likely help a major party you don’t like to win. This is called Spoiler effect, and it forces people to vote tactically, i.e. vote for party that has the best chance to win.

I don’t feel I’m qualified enough to try to explain this in more detail, but this is known issue with the system.
Background Pony #9EB2
@Background Human  
Not entirely. Let’s say a large bloc of voters concerned about environmental issues votes Green party instead of Democrat, and the Democrats lose, this tells the Dems they need to appeal to these voters more.
Background Human
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Background Pony #9EB2  
But that depends on a degree of coordination not normally in evidence among protest voters. You need the ability to send a collective message, that “you lost because of X, but if you give us what we want you will win,” and the ability to enforce that guarantee. If the Dems go all-in on the environment and lose anyway, either because the Green voters found some other excuse or there simply aren’t enough of them, they have no reason not to say “screw it” and go after the white working class instead. In the meantime, of course, their opponents are winning and going all Looten Plunder.

On the other hand, if you can say “you won because of X, and if you don’t give us what we want you will lose”, you have the people in power by the balls. Look at evangelicals. Mostly rock-solid (R) voters, but that “mostly” makes all the difference in the world. They are a credible threat to make or break a Republican politician’s fortunes, and for that reason they get what they want. (Justice Barrett says hi.)
Background Pony #9EB2
@Background Human  
You’re right that it’s more a matter of degrees. The Dems won’t go all in for the environment, only enough to get the votes to win. The reason we have two big parties is because these parties want to position themselves to grab as many votes from differing voting interests. If they see they lost and the Green party had enough votes to cover the spread in key areas they will look at what they can do to gain those votes. Sometimes those votes may be out of reach (Dems could try and grab more libertarian votes since the Republicans have alienated them partially with their economic policy, but that would probably lose them votes elsewhere). Evangelicals would be harder for the Republicans to lose since those votes are so core to the party. Judge Barrett I don’t think is a great example because while she is a big Catholic her judicial philosophy is also one that falls in line with what we think of conservative while also being considered a qualified judge (According to the American Bar Association).

Its just a game of numbers, target the votes on the margin that you can get and will be most valuable. If Bernie voters refused to vote Dem this year the Democrats would know to cater policy next time more to them.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
What political party would each of the Mane 6 identify with?

Has anyone ever asked this?

It’s both pony and political related so win-win.
Background Pony #1324
I feel like the main reason Obama won in a landslide in 2008 was because Bush was such a disaster.
Background Pony #9EB2
@CaptainXtra  
For the US I’d say,

Twilight: Democrat (Focus is higher Education)  
Rarity: Leans Republican (Small business owner)  
Fluttershy: Green Party (Hippie focused on environment)  
Pinkie: Libertarian (Just wants to party)  
AJ: Republican (Small business owner and focused on family)  
RD: Doesn’t vote (voting is for eggheads)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide