Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

silbasa
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@NitroFury  
No. They lived in tribal villages. If its 20 people working together most things can work.

@tehwatever  
See? White people dont exist! Its racist to call anyone white! Labeling an entire group!

@Goku Black  
Kamala seems like she knows her stuff? Hard on crime. Pro police.
Background Pony #8403
@Metro_Offset  
You can repeat that until you’ve worn your keyboard out, but all of that is a sidestep that doesn’t negate my actual point. I’m not arguing how much wealth the South generated compared to elsewhere, nor am I arguing the amount of wealth generated. What I am saying, the point which you don’t seem to be arguing against, is that regardless of how much or little the southern economy contributed to the US GDP, the primary mode of its economy, agriculture, was tied to slavery, ergo, the southern economy ran on slavery. An engine takes up less than half the space of a car, yet that car’s ability to run relies a great deal on that engine.

Saying slaves slowed this country down isn’t wrong. The fact that we had slaves, hence slavery, was an economic detriment.
My exact words: “Slavery and the reliance on it slowed the country down. That’s different from saying the poorly paid/unpaid maltreated laborers slowed the country down.” The slaves themselves didn’t really have a choice in the matter. They’d been robbed of significant autonomy.
HorsesandMuchMOAR
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Gallusposting since 2019
I have two stupid questions:

1. Should I start hating Christianity because of two right-wing trolls on Twitter? They sometimes look like they represent their entire religion that they defend so fiercely!

2. Is it alright if the main reason why I dislike China is because it bans websites and games like Youtube and Animal Crossing? I fear that if China becomes a superpower, more things will be banned to force everyone to obey Emperor Xi!
Metro_Offset
Duck - Ducks should be a majority on Derpi and thus in charge.

@Background Pony #8403  
“nor am I arguing the amount of wealth generated.”  
Yes you literally are. You are arguing with me that this country was built by slaves. Unless you agree with me that they created very little wealth for the United States and that wealth was quickly destroyed. It provably was never needed to run, to say it was needed to run, you would argue it was necessary, hence it was never a backbone. Your only argument is that lots of them worked in agriculture, but the wealth created was only for the few and it was destroyed, because the majority of that wealth wasn’t because they built anything, it was because they were capital in themselves. That was the key reason why abolishing slavery was seen as a bad idea at the time and why the South was a poor shithole.

Its why now we can look back and say that slavery and slaves didn’t build the US. They slowed it down, the wealth they did create was destroyed and the economic activity they did was minimal in the grand scheme of things.

So let’s say I agree. Do you agree with what I’m saying? That slaves did not build this country? That the wealth they did build was locked in the system and destroyed? That it did not make America rich?

“Slavery and the reliance on it slowed the country down. That’s different from saying the poorly paid/unpaid maltreated laborers slowed the country down.”

The key difference is that you said slavery and I said slaves, that was what you seemed to have a problem with. To me, it doesn’t matter. Slavery slowed the country down and hence slaves did. Not knowingly obviously, but just with their existence as slaves in that system.
Armagedonus
Duck - Thinks minorities should make their OWN ponds if they want to swim.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@silbasa  
Ew, what is wrong with that Wonder Woman?  
And why does that cover art reference Orwell?

@HorsesandMuchMOAR  
You can hate whoever you want, for whatever reason you want!  
But think positively - the more bans China makes, the less people from China you will see on the internet! XD

@NitroFury  
Abuse of the weak by strong is not exclusive to late capitalism tho.  
It will happen in ANY system, even in your precious communism.

@igotnopicks  
So basically, for you, Trump’s twitter is like a lovecraftian thing - the more you use it, the more sanity you will loose. XD
Background Pony #8403
“nor am I arguing the amount of wealth generated.”
Yes you literally are.
Either you’re a straight-up liar, or your reading comprehension sucks. Regardless, you are straw-manning. Dedicatedly. I have literally not once made any claims about the amounts of wealth generated. That was entirely you. And it’s been only you who’s pontificated on the artificiality of that wealth and on who got what share of that wealth. I’ve only ever argued on the nature of that wealth’s generation- that it was tied primarily to agriculture and, therefore, slavery, making that the southern economy’s backbone, without which they’d’ve had to find something else or suffer economic ruin.

they were capital in themselves. That was the key reason why abolishing slavery was seen as a bad idea at the time.
Yes, because slaves were viewed then as nonhuman capital. But, to thus argue now that because they were considered then to be nonhuman capital, they didn’t build anything is to argue now to continue to view slaves as not human, a profoundly despicable and stupid argument. So no, I do and will continue to disagree that slaves did not build the country.
Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
FiveThirtyEight’s general election forecast is live. And this year it has a cutesy mascot, Fivey Fox, to help explain that 29% means he still has a chance, you innumerate chucklefucks! Jesus Christ, take a fucking stats class. What, do you think these pollsters just pull numbers out of their ass? Because they don’t. Not even Rasmussen does that, and believe me, we’ve checked. Some people actually give a shit about objective fucking reality, about math and science and logic. And if that’s too hard to accept, fine. Go back to your fucking Plandemic or Loose Change or whatever the fuck conspiracy theory bullshit you people are on to now. I know, maybe Jon Cryer invented the Ebola virus on the set of Two and a Half Men, then sent it back in time to 1976. Go make a YouTube video about that, why don’t you? Fucking morons. Fuck.

Or maybe he’s just there to sell merchandise. I don’t know.
Vivace
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
@Background Human  
I don’t know if I would get my hopes up on the 2/4 cases where a Biden win happens without Ohio’s EC votes, and even less on the other 2 where Georgia goes blue.
Metro_Offset

Regardless, you are straw-manning. Dedicatedly. I have literally not once made any claims about the amounts of wealth generated.

How can something be the backbone of any economy if it isn’t making the majority of wealth generated? You inherently are making those claims. You can’t just say something is the backbone of the economy, then back off when someone points out gdp figures for slavery. XD

And it’s been only you who’s pontificated on the artificiality of that wealth and on who got what share of that wealth.

You’re on one hand arguing that slaves helped build the US and that it was the backbone of the economy, yet at the same time getting mad with me for saying the wealth gained was artificial and gained by the few.

without which they’d’ve had to find something else or suffer economic ruin.

Except again that provably isn’t true either, because we saw the GDP effects after the civil war.

But, to thus argue now that because they were considered then to be nonhuman capital, they didn’t build anything is to argue now to continue to view slaves as not human

No it isn’t. Its to say where the wealth was tied up, why, and why it was quickly destroyed. When you look at actual GDI figures, the contribution of slavery was minimal and the countries economy accelerated long afterwards. Slaves did not make this country rich, they never built this country.
Background Pony #8403
@Metro_Offset  
I have specifically stated, several times, that it was the southern economy for which slavery was the backbone. Because that’s exactly what it was. How have you still missed that?

Know what came after the Civil War that put whites, especially wealthy whites, ahead of blacks? Black codes, Jim Crow, shit to legally keep blacks under the thumb of white institutional power.

Slaves were human laborers, despite being considered nonhuman capital at the time, and the work they were made to do did contribute to the country, even if not reflected in dollar amounts. Your white fetishism is so transparent.
Metro_Offset

I have specifically stated, several times, that it was the southern economy for which slavery was the backbone. Because that’s exactly what it was. How have you still missed that?

This isn’t a reply to anything I just said. So ok.

Know what came after the Civil War that put whites, especially wealthy whites, ahead of blacks? Black codes, Jim Crow, shit to legally keep blacks under the thumb of white institutional power.

Wow, that’s crazy. Has nothing to do with if slavery built the US.

Slaves were human laborers, despite being considered nonhuman capital at the time, and the work they were made to do did contribute to the country, even if not reflected in dollar amounts. Your white fetishism is so transparent.

Wow, they contributed? I guess that means they built it, even though they didn’t make the country rich and the wealth they created was destroyed long ago, who’s to say who really built this country?

I fully accept that slavery was wrong, of course it was, but that doesn’t mean I’m giving slaves credit for building this country. Truth is they didn’t, that’s a fantasy.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
Continued from the Unpopular Opinion Thread:  
People who live outside the US being condescending towards Americans helps absolutely no one.

Here’s my take on it: Yes, America is a crap basket and we know it is. I think many of us saw the second wave of COVID-19 coming and tried to prevent it. Our systems are failing us, we’re the ones who have to deal with this, and we feel broken and helpless more than ever right now. Going “Serves you right, your leaders are assholes” or “Ha-ha, we have no COVID cases in our country!” isn’t going to help anything. It won’t convince anti-maskers who are already set in their ways, and all it does for the rest of us is make us feel bad for something that we have nothing to do with and are trying to fix.

Now I’m convinced that if I ever wanted to leave this country, people in other countries will just think of me as “the idiot American.” Great…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide